Gooseneck...5th wheel

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:15
ThreadID: 18985 Views:2686 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.... Happy New Year It's ages since I've visited.... seems like all the world has found our little site!

My better 3/4 has decided that the horses need luxurious comfort in thier travels and so does she! So she is planning on purchasing the big gooseneck horsefloat with all the c'van style goodies.... double bed, kitchen, shower etc. The tradeoff?... Well ... this vehicle might well be used for a couple of big tours around Oz. We've done a fair few already with very much less luxurious accomodation!

What are your experiences with the 5th wheeler set ups, gooseneck arrangements? Is a modern Lcruiser [late 90s] suitable or should we be looking for big for Fs? etc.

What cautionary tales?

Cheers Royce www.funshow.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:03

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:03
Welcome back Royce, I was wondering if you deserted the site for being unscientific at times.

I was going to say I had only seen them at shows on 'eFfies' but I am sure I have also seen them on smaller 4bies like Nissans and Toyotas. Am sure I have seen one somewhere on a Nissan on the road. There was a setup I think from the back of a Falcon Ute at the Caravan and Camping Show in Melbourne it could slide on or off for conversion purposes. That type would have to be too small for your useage.

Am sure you could be quite spaceous in such a set up, especially if your 3/4 decided you could be with the horse and you let it out. She could have the luxurious bit. I can't offer any other cautionary tales though. Sorry.
AnswerID: 90913

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:07

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:07
You up for new tires yet.. LOL

What are you talking of towing it with? I wouldnt touch it with a patrol/cruiser/etc.. you need bigger.

Theres numerous of them around here, mornington and cranny for the dogfood races... They are ALL using F250/350's Series, and Big Chevs, or the old 810 Acco with a V8 in them...
AnswerID: 90915

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:14

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:14
Just about ready for new tyres Truckster.... I'm leaving it up to she who must be obeyed... her horsey mates will no doubt lead her astray as to what will be doing the towing.
FollowupID: 349630

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:31

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:31
Welcome back, Royce, and happy new year. Willem's "Happy New Year" post of a couple of days ago, will give you a precis of life with EO, for 2004.

We have an open, 4-6 horse gooseneck, and it does the job well enough, though you get what you pay for!!! Does save our UD truck from being knocked around, just carting horses while mustering. Stability is a strong point with g'neck set-up, probably a lot more stable than a trailer/float type unit.

Tow the g'neck with a n/a 79 series tojo, and it is adequate, but no speedster. Never had it on bitumen, but would suggest the speed limit might be a long term dream. The 79 series turbo would be a different prime mover altogether.

Friends have a g'neck with c'van type fittings at the front. We saw this last Sept, and impressed with the comfort, and room(for 2), plus float space. They even have a Porta-Potti! They also have TV, water pump, and external shower. They were towing theirs with an F250. Would expect that luxury would only be governed by depth of your wallet, or your Wife's handbag.

Only cautionary tale would be, from our experience(with young staff), is that it is really a small semi-trailer, and to drive accordingly. We have a couple of gate posts around the place that wear the scars of the near side mudguard, when "they" have turned too tight, or not bothered to look in both mirrors, while going through the gateway.

Only drawback for around Oz, would be the weight of the trailer, if you didn't take the horses.

Good luck with the purchasing..

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 90935

Sponsored Links