Crankshaft & Devcn Story III Can I fit a gasket between engine block and pulley?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 23:57
ThreadID: 19018 Views:2398 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day again

I have been fixing my old FJ 60 - the crank pulley fell off... Ugly!

In the repair I removed the timing cover gasket and when I went to replace it I hadn't kept track of which bolts went where. I also used silicon rather than a gasket (on the advice of some mechs...) Not such a good idea it seems...

As a result the timing cover leaked. I have the bolts in the right holes now, but the leak is still there and I can't detect if it is from the bolts or the seal. Those bolts are a right bugger to remove with the pulley still on so i don't want to mess with them unless I have to.

The pulley is on with loctite stud lock and will be rock hard - a difficult proposition to remove it... So I am wondering if there is enough gap between engine block and pulley to slide a gasket in (if I cut it at the top) It may be the only easy solution.

Anyone know?

Or am i better to get a mechanic to do it properly?

Bugger... bugger... bugger!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 00:07

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 00:07
>> ... to slide a gasket in (if I cut it at the top)

So your replacing something that leaks with something that will leak?

cut a gasket you may as well not use one..
AnswerID: 91050

Reply By: locallaw - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 09:03

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 09:03
Gidday,You never said where the oil was leaking from.Was it from the seal or gasket.Did you align the cover before fitting the pulley.I have heard of people fitting the cover tighten everything then fit the pulley.Naturally nothing lines up and the seal leaks again so you start all over again.I think you have a problem if the seal is leaking.Is there a oil slinger behind the seal (you did replace the seal didnt you).
Just my bit Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 91065

Reply By: Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:12

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:12
As an aside....re your bugger, bugger ,bugger......ain't it one of life's harshest lessons ? .... you will be a thorough going expert on this issue when its done .... a dead set authority..... and you'll never need to touch one again..... life can be so cruel ! Motoring is often worse......
AnswerID: 91098

Reply By: Bazza - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:19

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:19
G'Day andrewhamilton,
I'm not trying to be a smartar#e..... but I'll give you some advise, that I live by.

"If you car'nt afford to fix it right the first time, you'll never be able to afford it the second time!"
If you do'nt have the skills or knowledge to do it properly, find the funds to have someone who has, to do it right the first time.
Many people have learned this the hard, and expensive way.
IMHO
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 91222

Sponsored Links