GPS, Computer

Submitted: Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:15
ThreadID: 19030 Views:2716 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can i turn my laptop into a mapping and GPS centre. Like one of those $1000 jobs that show your position as you drive?
Or is it better just to buy one?
What are my options for as little $$ as possible. (It will make it more attractive to the Minister of Finance (Handbrake) if I can say it will do all this for less than $$).

Thanks again

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:31

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:31
Well you'll need some software, OziExplorere is a good start for about $130, I assume you have a GPS as well as a laptop, then you'll need a comms cable from the GPS to the laptop, about $60-$100 depending on what you need from GPSoz.com.au, then you're setup, if you want something that tells you to turn right or left then you'll need different software I reckon, someone else'll know about that.

Go for it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 91091

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 22:21

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 22:21
If u have laptop, gps, cable and autorouting garmin software then this programme (free) will turn it all into a turn by turn, talking system similar to the streetpilot 3

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

I have had this setup for a while now and it is great
FollowupID: 349755

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:41

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:41
Don't forget some way of securing the laptop safely as 5kg floating around the cab in a bingle is a bit on the dangerous (lethal) side. The Minister of Finance may not appreciate it in front of her all the time either unless it's a very small notebook.

Maybe a better option would be a pocket PC like an IPaq or similar running OziExplorer CE which is much smaller. I haven't tried it but I know someone who aquired the software off one of the Pocket PC's by NAVMAN and runs it on their PocketPC just fine.

Either way a RAM mount is the best way of mounting them.

RAM Mounts

Dave
AnswerID: 91104

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:54

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:54
Here are a couple of web pages to get you up to speed with what other people use - no idea who these people are but they seem to know what they're talking about:)

Navigation

Digital Navigation

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 91108

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:16

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:16
Richard, I agree with the guys above but suggest you go for a much lighter laptop and find that a 12" screen is fine and not anywhere as obtrusive. You can buy them cheaper too. Mine is only 1.6 Kg if I don't need the CDRom/DVD there at the time. They can be connected when I want.

I have a RAM mount too that is tailored to my requirement and mounted behind the centre console off the floor. Pictures for my setup is easy to dismount for when you don't use it.

Some travellers with plenty of space light to take a desktop replacement which is ok with the room. Taking a laptop means you can do all the usual email things easily or write reports for here if and when you would like to. I have written mine going along as a passenger sometimes on the arm shown above. Something I would hate to do on my PDA.
AnswerID: 91111

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:20

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:20
sorry stuffed the link slightly try H E R E instead
FollowupID: 349680

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 18:25

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 18:25
An interesting question and answers. I think many people would like to ask these sorts of questions but don't feel comfortable with their lack of knowledge.
What sort of mimimum specs would his laptop need ? Where can you buy a mount for the laptop ? If he buys Oziexplorer does he just load say "Desert Tracks" into his CD and away he goes ?
Lotta questions I know. Are they covered in the archives somewhere ?
AnswerID: 91130

Reply By: Nick R - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:42

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:42
if you already have the laptop try a search on gps mouse on ebay, a garmin 100 is about $160 with software if I remember correctly, comes with serial or usb connection, serial also needs 12v power.
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 91146

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:43

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:43
I have a laptop and Mobiledesk mount for sale in the trader section if anyone is interested....will break up the package and am flexible re: price...
AnswerID: 91147

Reply By: XS Challenger - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 23:32

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 23:32
Thankyou to everyone who responded, I will do some further research and when I get it going I will come and ask you all how to use it (ha ha ha ha)

Thanks again

Richard
AnswerID: 91201

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 15:16
XS,
the cheapest way to convert your laptop to a moving map display is with the GPS mouse available (serial or USB) available from the shop on this site for $159. You can download oziexplorer for free (www.oziexplorer.com). I can send you some sample maps on CD to try out - send a postal address by members message to me.
See my second photo for an example of how moving map display can be set up.
FollowupID: 349835

Sponsored Links