Split rims / solid rims

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1904 Views:13543 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can someone please throw some light on the pros & cons of both split rims and standard solid rims. Points on the tyre changing process of bothwould be appreciated. Can air pressure be safely reduced to 25lbs. on split rims ? Tubed versus tubeless comes into question here. Which is best for serious off road use ? Which is easier to repair a flat to ? All comments please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
Ron - some thoughts - split rims are easier for puncture repairs as a tyre can be removed with two tyre levers and a bit of practice. In my experience, split rims and hence tubed tyres are much more susceptible to punctures. Pressures can be reduced to 25lbs. Friend travelled the Simpson with 25lbs in cruiser split rims. He also had a flat tyre on the Cordillo Downs road and replaced the tube without any trouble.
Personal preference after 7 years of split rims and about 10 punctures, then 13 years of tubeless and 1 puncture is definitely tubeless.
AnswerID: 6319

Follow Up By: Ron - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your advice Fred. Why is it that split rims are more susceptable to punctures ? as both tyres would be equally subject to the road conditions I would have thought. On the other hand, is it easy repairing a tubeless ?
FollowupID: 2792

Reply By: les - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ron, I've been running split rims for over 20yrs, My present 4x4 a 98 Hilux single cab has done over 30,000 kms off road on splits with Dunlop 8 ply roadgrippers, not one punture, tyre pressure is important I run mine at 45psi, I think alot of people go for looks rather than what will suit them in the tough stuff, I have spent alot of time in the mining areas of West Aust. and all mining company vehicles I know use splits rims, and I can tell you they get a hard time, To repair or change a tyre takes a very short time (about 2 cans),
I live in Vic now and do alot of off roading in the alps and I am very happy with my set up. great in the mud and on rocky trails, never had any sidewall damage which is a problem with wide tyres.
It all comes down to what you want your 4x4 to do..hope this helps Ron..
AnswerID: 6336

Reply By: pathfinder - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

avoid split rims and tubed tyres Ron, despite the advice from some old timers who may like their practicality for extended trips. There are a number of disadvantages to tubed tyres including heat build up (friction between tube and tyre) which reduces tyre life and increases risk of blowout, and extra rolling resistance. Unless you're away from civilisation for an extended period of time, I would go for tubeless (on steel rather than alloy rims: steel bends; alloy cracks) and just carry two spares. If you're keen, you can get tyrepliers and tyre plugs for tubeless tyres.
AnswerID: 6342

Follow Up By: Les - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Hey not so much of the old timers hahaha, I just put forward what I have done and do, Remember that vehicle manufactures must meet Australian safety regulations and standards, if split rim were so dangerous I don't think they would bring them out on their vehicles, will agree with you regarding heat build up hence the tyre pressure and again the vehicles (Toyota) are inflated to 50psi from the factory. Can't see that tyre life being reduced if correct pressure is maintained as with any tyre....thanks mate....Les
FollowupID: 2815

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

If you cut a split rim tyre you can put a 'gater' and another tube in it. If you cut a fatty you can throw the tyre away at an extended cost to you. Most of what has been said above is true. Split rims out bush are easier to repair. You can also run them down to 10psi in sandy conditions. It is a matter of preference. It depends on what sort of work you demand from your tyres. Cheers, Willie
FollowupID: 2817

Reply By: Daryl Parcell - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Ron
My experience in the comparence between split rims and tubeless rims is that you will get far less punctures with tubeless rims against spilt rims.
For the first 5 years of owning my Series 80 cruiser I ran split rims with 7.50 x 16 tyres and had many high speed blowouts when running the tyres at 40 psi ( a cumfortable pressure to drive on ) and numerous punctures when driving off road. Since Changing to tubeless rims with 235x16 tyres 5 years ago I have had no tyre problems. It is also not really advisable to fit a tube to tubeless tyre for the long term and all tyres manufactured these days are designed tubeless regardless of which rim they are fitted to.
As for the ease of repairing the punctures on the side of the road, my experience is that with suitable tyre changing tools I would much rather tackle a tubeless tyre repair eg fitting a tube, than fitting a tube to a tyre fitted to split rim. Anyone who tells you that it is easier to work on a split rim certainly hasn't done much tyre changing on the side of the road.
It is also much safer to run at a lower pressure on sand with tubeless (15 psi) than pressure in a split rim (20--25 psi ).
I hope this gives you a better insight to the argument of split rims against tubeless rims.

Daryl
Ipswich 4x4 Club

AnswerID: 6416

Follow Up By: Darryl - Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
My experiance is get a flat with a tubeless tyre and you can plug it and put criss cross patch on inside for good measure , the problem comes when you want reseat tyre on rim ,no can do with a portable air comp .Throw a tube in it becomes a simple job tyre reseats and gets you to somewhere closer to civiliztion.

Darryl
FollowupID: 2877

Follow Up By: Daryl Parcell - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00
I appreciate your observations Darryl. I have found that in outback trips the best way to repair Steel belted tyres away from civilisation is to not worry about plugs and such because the damage from sticks and stones mostly cause more damage than can be repaired by a simple plug and thus the best repair is to put a large patch on the inside of the tyre & fit a tube. this repair will last many kilometers without having to detour to a licenced tyre repairer.
the observations about not being able to reseat the bead with a portable compressor. I have an ARB compressor and I have found that if you put plenty of water with washup liquid around the bead and juggle the tyre onto the bead you can reseat the tyre with minimal bother.

Daryl parcell
FollowupID: 2882

Sponsored Links