Repco 3way Fridge - Tried and tested

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:20
ThreadID: 19049 Views:2588 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,

My friend bought the $399.00 Repco 3 way fridge before x-mas. Took it up to the Snowy River (VIC) for 9 days and ran it on gas. Ran equally as well in comparison to my Chescold RC1180. On 30+ days with a bit of opening and closing both fridges remained under 10deg. One would have to say it is a good buy at $399.00.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:29
I agree. I bought my Repco 3 way Fridge a couple of months ago & have used it twice on 3 day trips & it worked well. I operated it on 12V whilst travelling ( although initially it melted the cig lighter socket, I have since hard wired it to a better socket in the rear of the troopy) then ran it on gas whilst camped. It uses bugger all gas!
Sparky
AnswerID: 91227

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:36
Marko,

Glad you're happy with the fridge, but when you say under 10 degrees do you mean at all times or just in the middle of the day when it is being opened frequently?

If you're talking air temperature in the fridge ocassionally that's OK. But if the food inside (tested with a probe) is at 8 or 9 degrees it is a health risk. Food should be held at an absolute maximum of 5 degrees and the less the better. Bacteria multiplies exponentially according to the temperature at which it is held.

Sorry to sound boring, but I have a food background and hate to see people poisoned.

Hope to have been of some help.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 91337

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:25

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:25
You are so right jimbo
if anything is held above 5 degrees for long espesially poultry or pork or any seafood for that matter you are in great risk
and please remember while camping a Dr or medical assistance isnt just around the corner
And food poisoning can take many hours to affect you
you cant tell if food is spoiled by taste or smell although that is a good indicator
but not always as many people get food poisoning and dont realise it for many hours
having said this no one has been food poisened by me in 34 year of being a professional chef lol
warren
'
FollowupID: 349902

Follow Up By: Marko - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:09

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:09
G'day Jimbo,

The fridge is running at 10 only during the day with it being opened and closed. Early morning and all evening it gets down to 2 or 3, lower if you wanted. Don't have a probe in the food but I estimate that for 18 hrs of the day the fridge is below 5 which I think is ok.

We ate well for 9 days with stocks from the fridge and Im back at work alive and kicking.... although if i had of got sick i wouldn't be back here yet??? ;-)

Marko

FollowupID: 349925

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 20:50
Marko,

Sounds like it it working very well. Enjoy it, gas fridges are the duck's nuts for long term camping.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 91489

Sponsored Links