80 series door wind noise

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1906 Views:2512 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a base model 80 series land cruiser and when I reach about 70kph with the window wound up, I can hear an air-rushing noise in the vicinity of the door mirror (it can get quite loud). I can't feel a breeze and no water or dust has ever leaked in. I've taped up the gap between the door and the guard and the noise goes away but I still can't pinpoint the source of the noise. I've fitted a new door seal and the problem is only with the driver's door. I purchased the car 2nd hand at 12 months old and have found no evidence of panel work on the driver's door or driver's side front guard.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
Derek, I think that my 97 80 GXL has exactly the same problem. It does not really bother me but I will be interested to read what responses come in.David
AnswerID: 6329

Follow Up By: Coops - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
my 80 series does the same too - although I barely noticed it until now !
Can't say as it bothers me much either but I will be keeping an eye out for solutions in this forum.
FollowupID: 2823

Reply By: hz180 - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
I have a silmilar problem with my 97 standard Landcruiser. However, folding the mirror back appears to diminish the problem. Obviously not a solution but perhaps a bit of experimentation with the mirrors might prove fruitful ?
AnswerID: 6397

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your responses fellas. We are not the only ones suffering this problem as I've met several other owners over the years with the same complaint. It obviously is not an isolated problem! Today I went to my "I'll do anything to weasel my way out of this problem" Toyota dealer and not to my surprise said that he'd never heard of the problem and there certainly wasn't a service bulletin issued on the problem. He suggested I bend the window frame! I have folded the mirror back and found this makes no difference. I have also carefully measured the gaps in the door and can find no difference between it and the passenger door. I've stuffed the cavity around the hinges (between the door and the guard) with packing sponge and found the noise is still there, yet if I put masking tape over the gap between the door outer skin and the outer skin of the mudguard, the noise goes. The next thing I plan to do is remove the mirror and cover the hole and see what difference that makes. It has now become a challenge to me to find the source of the noise. Oh what a feeling!
AnswerID: 6438

Follow Up By: Coops - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00
I admire your tenacity Derek. I'm just gonna turn up the volume on my CD player for the moment but would be truly interested in the outcome of your pursuits. Good luck
Allyn
FollowupID: 2883

Sponsored Links