patrol gearbox gu

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:43
ThreadID: 19069 Views:4252 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hello to all.
i am a long time reader of this forum, but this is the first time i have written(be gentle) to get advice on a problem i am having with my patrol.
it is a gu 4.2 turbo diesel ( factory ) 1999 model wagon with 120000km.
i recently purchased it from a local toyota dealer& is still under their stat. warranty.
problem started on a trip to coffs harbour, when cruising at highway speed in 5th,
when trying to downshift it becomes very stubborn.(3rd or 4th ).
became worse the hotter it got. to the point of swinging off gearlever.
took car back to dealer & roadtested & they agreed there was a problem.
thought that would be end of story .
after three weeks at the dealer ,i picked car up today.they replaced 3rd/4th synchro hub & rings at no charge. they also replaced clutch at my expense.
the initial problem is not only still there ,it is WORSE.
they tell me that it will take a while for things to wear in, but i feel they are saying this until such time that the warranty expires.
has anybody had similar problems & what are the fixes for this.
appreciate any help.
thanks spudit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:33

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:33
G'day Spudit,
Your model (and mine) had/have a problem with 5th gear expiring. I was fortunate enough to have a very good Nissan dealer here who recognised the problem before it actually broke. That was at about 80,000klm and they replaced it under warranty at no charge to me.
I am not sure whether 3rd and 4th gears are affected by 5th gear breaking, but I have not previously heard of of any 3rd or 4th issues in the Patrol gearbox.
Having seen the slop my 5th gear had on it's shaft, I feel they would have probably noticed it if this had been the problem in your case.
Sorry I haven't been much use.
Welcome to the forum as a poster and I hope someone else can help you more than I have.
AnswerID: 91325

Reply By: dano01 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:59
I have a 2.8 td 1998 patrol. I am right now rebuilding my gearbox after 3rd failed. The problem was i could not shift out of 3rd at all without a lot of jigling and doulble clutching. When i checked the oil i found it to be very black a thin so on draining i had bits of metal falling out of the gearbox. These peices turned out to be shifting inserts which there is three of. This may be your problem as they are part of your syncro assembly they may not have replace them. I will let you know how mine goes when back together to see if everything needs to wear in but i think i will find that i will be fine from start up as it should after a rebuild or repair. These inserts are only about $4 each so you would hope they replaced them at the same time. hope this is of so help to you, dont let them postpone till the warranty is up i have had it happen to me aswell.
Best of luck Dano
AnswerID: 91329

Reply By: johnsie - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:02
take it back again sorry no more help but sounds sus. 5th gear should be done under Nissan warranty.
AnswerID: 91330

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:25

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:25
Get it in writing on company letter head from the dealer principal,

Or take it to a Nissan dealer, pretend that you have had it for yrs, and it has issues that you want them to quote on fixing, they will tell you EVERYTHING if they think they are getting the job!!! Get them to do a report on it.. Take the report back to Yota.

IMHO you are gettin shafted
AnswerID: 91335

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:43
It shouldn't take time for anything to bed in. I had my second gear selector hub and syncro changed recently (not that it fixed my problem...another story). I'd be going to a Nissan dealer. It may be a selector housing problem.
Also I would of thought they would have to cop it for the clutch. You just bought the vehicle so why r u paying? It's under warranty.

Leroy.....who's finally getting a new gearbox from Nissan cause they can't fix me old one!!!!!!
AnswerID: 91411

Reply By: spudit - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:58
thanks for all your replies.
i took car to a switched on gearbox shop today who told me that there is still a problem with 3rd/4th synchro hub.after looking at quality of the dealers work in refitting gearbox (not) it was decided to avoid dealer at all costs.
after a phone call to dept of fair trading & in length discussion with selling dealer it was decided i could take car to be fixed to my repairer of choice at their cost.
interestingly the dealer pulled out the parts list that they used on my gearbox which totaled $1300.00. it included synchro hubs & rings ,selector forks & a whole lot of other part to numerous to list , but all the dealer showed me apon pick up of car was 3/4 hub.
it will be interesting to see what they have actually done when my repairer pulls it down.
i will let you all know how i get on.
thanks again spudit
AnswerID: 91524

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 00:56

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 00:56
spudit,
While the g'box apart, make sure that you ask your repairer to have a VERY close look at the splines on the 5th gear & shaft (known problem with early GU's)...
If yours hasn't already had the replacement gearset fitted, now would be a good time to consider having it done (while it's apart), as there's a high likelihood that it will fail sooner or later...
Nissan have been repairing these out of warranty, but (as I found out) they are washing their hands of the problem after 5 yrs/200,000 K's...
Yours being a '99 model, it will no longer be covered by Nissan...
Good luck!

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 350092

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:47

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:47
Spudit,
For your peace of mind, ring the Nissan Customer service on their 1800 number and give them your car's identity number, that is the only way they can tell if your gearbox is affected by the 5th gear spline problem.
The problem does not affect early GUs, it affects GUs from 2000 to 2001 but some late '99 models were affected.
Once they clear that, you can be sure your problem is something else...
If it is affected then you can tell your mechanic so he can replace the main shaft and the 5th gear spline, (about $1500 worth).
Will
FollowupID: 350205

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:06

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:06
GUPatrol,
Just to clarify... By "early GU's", I was referring to the *early* TD42T (and of course ZD30) models... My apology for the misunderstanding..

Mine is an April '99 build (one of the first batch of TD42T's to arrive at my local dealership), and the 5th gear failed (stripped splines).. so as far as the '99 models are concerned, it is not just "some late '99 models" that were affected...

I'd respectfully suggest that all (manual) Patrols built from the time of the introduction of the TD42T until the date that Nissan identified & rectified the problem, would be under a cloud of suspicion...

However, I do agree with your suggestion to ring Nissan to find out if the vehicle in question is one of the "suspect" batch...

My earlier suggestion for the repairer to have a look at this while the box is apart (regardless of what other problems may be found), still stands...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 350281

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:55

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:55
Dear Ed. C.

Mine is a 99 model TD42T, built april 99.
Please read the message, "the only way for nissan to know is via the vehicle ID number"
I emailed Nissan my ID number early on when these problems started and they cleared my particular vehicle, (I got their email) however, a friend of mine was affected by the spline stuff up...

That is why I suggested to the person involved with this problem to call the Nissan customer service number and quote the vehicle ID to see if his g'box was affected, if it was he may have some support from Nissan even out of warranty.
The problem with the affected gearboxes is apparently a stuff up in tolerances in the manufacturing process, that is why some are affected and some are not, but between the years 2000 to 2001 most are affected.
This is what was explained to me by both Nissan customer service and the Nissan dealership.
In any case, it seems that this gentleman has it sorted out already and I hope all goes well for him.

Regards,

Happy GU Patrol owner with not a single problem after almost six years and 200000 kms of hard fourwheeling....
FollowupID: 350460

Sponsored Links