Travelling around Oz

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:01
ThreadID: 19094 Views:5115 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are considering chucking in our jobs and travelling around Australia for approx. 12 months or longer, there really is no time limit. It would be a working trip. We have a 4WD and a camper which is quite comfortable for the two of us.
Could anyone who has done this, provide some advice. How easy was it to find work (we are fit and in our early 40's). Also, are there any web sites relating to working holidays?
We will be taking our tinny as well as all the usual camping, recovery, spares etc.
I know this is a broad question, but, we would appreciate any advice on specifically what to take.
We will be leaving our home empty, any advice about keeping the place maintained and in good order, we don't want to burden our friends and relitives and we don't want to rent it out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Robbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:20
depends on your line of work abit and what your prepared to do but when you work your way over west there is quite a bit of work including unskilled labour to be had in kalgoorlie and it makes a good area to stop for a while and enjoy the vast surrounding bushland with many good 4wd trips also it is close enough to the south coast. My last job I worked with a guy doing what you are doing and hasnt managed to leave yet. I also noticed there was plenty of customer service work in Broome and fruit/veggie related work in Kunnunura. The backpackers is always a good place to look for work adds to get a bit of cash in while you get to know what goes on around and organise better work.
As for your house when you find out how to keep it maintained and in good order please let me know :)

as for what to take start with the esentials obviosly then some of the thing you would really like to have and the rest can be added as you see the need for it at majout centres you could drive yourself crazy trying to take everything you think you might need but once you are out there your needs will become obvious
Actually now I think of it probably the main thing I would take would be my work clobber and ppe - there is nothing like turning up for a job ready to go rather than asking what gear you need and where can you get it
AnswerID: 91463

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:36
Robo - goos luck to you - I'm JEALOUS

As for the house, there are house-sitting services that screen and can provide you with someone to house sit. It costs nothing, but get's someone to stay, protect, maintain your house for the duration. Look it up may be in the yellow pages, or on the net. Should be easy to find

D-Jack
AnswerID: 91465

Follow Up By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:01

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:01
Hey I'm jealous too!

We travelled for 6 months in 2004 and had a housesitter. We used someone we know, but we also checked out the housesitting services and I would certainly use them next time. They do things like send you regular emails telling you how things are at home, and will send you photos of the house and even of any pets they might look after. And as D-Jack said they are free!

There is also a book about working around Australia, but I'm afraid I can't remember the title, but somewhere like your local map shop would probably have it.

Have a fantastic time.
Anni
FollowupID: 350161

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:58

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:58
Rob,
have been in your situation twice.First time from 84 to 87,sold our house and travelled the entire coastline that could be done in a hiace camper,no regrets.The next time similar situation,sold house in Perth and travelled from 91 to 95 no regrets.There is work out there if you want it from seasonal fruit picking to managing caravan park in Mildura.Today working on the Goldcoast for the tenth year in accom/hospitality and have people always looking for casual workers.Dont be afraid to tell them your are travelling because most people will give you a go and in some cases they only want out of towners as the unemployed locals are unemployable and dont want to work.Im late 40s and thinking of doing it again.Mind you have done a few mind numbing jobs ,but remember a tank of fuel can get you a long way and you do meet some really great peple on the way.As for the house,pro house sitters are available if you look.My suggestion is go for it,
best of luck Dave
AnswerID: 91468

Reply By: Fusion - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:07
G'day Robbo,

This site isn't exactly what you are after, but it is a guy who has been on the road for a few years and his experiences. Excellent site.

Rob Gray - Photography & Living on the road

Aaron.
AnswerID: 91470

Follow Up By: Poe - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:59
Great read Aaron. Thanks for posting that!

Poe :)
FollowupID: 350069

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:23
Rob,
I am sure that i have seen some sites quoted on this forum somewhere pertaining to seasonal work and backpacking etc. Old age has dimmed the memory somewhat.
Do a search and see what you find.
Enjoy your tour.
Cheers.
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 91496

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:10
Not first hand experience, but I'm assured by friends who are researching this very issue is that there's lot of work opportunities out there BUT you won't see most of them advertised. It pays to talk to everyone you meet - mainly in tourism and hospitality (and more likely in the remote areas) - I guess they don't advertise because they end up with a collection of time waters who are trying to keep Centrelink off their backs.
AnswerID: 91507

Reply By: Darylive - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:13
Robbo,

Question for you bro.

How are you carrying the Tinny? .

There is plenty of work for workers.

Daryl Qld
AnswerID: 91508

Follow Up By: Rob - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:09

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:09
The tinny lives on top of the Jeep. I have two RHINO bars fitted and the boat sits snugly on top.
To get it up there, my wife and I lift the upturned tinny and place the pointy end on the rear RHINO bar. I tie a rope to the front of the tinny and run it to the front of the Jeep. I lift the rear of the tinny as my wife pulls on the rope and I push, works well !!!
I secure it with two good quality ratchet straps.

Hope that helps

Robbo
FollowupID: 350621

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:35

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:35
Hi,
Robbo, We are leaving about the 8th February and are doing a simmiliar thing, concerning work there is a great book kickiing around called Workabout Australia, they also have a Club and a website, have a squiz here.
Click Here
All The Best
Craig
AnswerID: 91513

Reply By: Patsy - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:36

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:36
Rob
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/
Try the above web site. There is something for all regions if you don't mind a bit a manual work.
Good Luck to you both. My husband and myself would love to do the same thing but are just waiting for our boys to become a little more self established.
There is a good housesitters site somewhere on the net also but I don't know its web address from memory. I do know of a couple of people who are registered as housesitters through this site and their standards are excellent. They also look after pets.
Cheers
Patsy
AnswerID: 91530

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:34

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:34
Hello Rob,

You didn't say what type of work you have done, but there is a site for farmsitting. This is: farmsitters.com.au

The work required may vary for each situation, but would imagine in many cases people would only require you to look after house and gardens, and have others to care for waters and stock.

Think it's something we would look at later on.

Enjoy your travels.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 91564

Reply By: Rob - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:12

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:12
Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice. They have been very helpful.
Now I have to go and write a letter of resignation to the boss, he won't be happy, "Jan".

Regards

Robbo
AnswerID: 91819

Sponsored Links