Frontera gearbox issues.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:51
ThreadID: 19116 Views:5889 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thought 'd share my recent experiences regarding the clutch and gearbox on my 2002 model Frontera.
Mid 2004 I was experiencing an intermittant shuder in the clutch when starting off or reversing, which my local Holden dealer could not replicate on several occasions, until I showed then a print out of a page from a forum from this site, then they suddenly acknowledged that yes, there was a problem with Frontera's and Jackaroo's having this problem. They said it was related to the way that they were driven, but as a gesture of goodwill, they would replace it under warranty.
About a month of getting the vehicle back, I started to get a whining noise in the gearbox. Thinking it may have been a faulty thrust bearing, I took it back to them and was told that they needed to strip and rebuild the gearbox and would need it for 2 weeks. Three weeks later, i was rung to say that the "technician" had been trying to refit the box, but had used a bolt that was too long, and had broken the sump. A new one was ordered but would be another few days. In the meantime they had done some research, and had discovered that they had fitted a mainshaft from a 4 cylinder model, which was marginally longer, and hence would not engage all the way into the back of the motor, subsequently breaking the sump. A new shaft was ordered and the box put back together and installed, ready for me to pick up at midday on xmas eve, a total of 5 weeks off the road.
Now, 2 weeks later, the box has started making a grinding noise, which stops when 4wd is engaged, so back it goes again next week. The vehicle has only done 70,000km so fortunately it is all under warranty and the dealer has been able to provide me with a loan car for most of the time it has been off the road.
Other than that, it has been a good car and have been very happy with it. Haven't been offroad with it much, except for a couple of stints along the beach on Stradbroke Island, mostly use it towing my 18ft fibreglass half cab boat, which it doesn't have a problem doing at all. Hope to upgrade to a new Prado later this year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:29

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:29
Thanks for the infor PMD
Do you have a post No for the page you refer to?
Vince
AnswerID: 91720

Reply By: PMD - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:56

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:56
Post no is 10073, 28/01/2004.
cheers
AnswerID: 91725

Reply By: chris_t - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:34

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:34
PMD, I have a 2000 frontera which was purchased in Aug 03. In June 04, after complaining during a routine service @ 60k that the clutch felt dead with no feel & was picking up millimetres from the floor ( by the way at what point does your clutch pick up ) Zupps told me the the clutch fluid was filthy & this was the cause of the problem. After arguing that it seemed highly unlikely that the fluid could be that dirty as the car had had at that stage very little off road or beach work, I was left with no choice but agree to a change of all the fluids well before there scheduled change.

Now even though my car is a 2000 model, for some reason the warrant doesnt expire until March 05..lucky me, although it was originally owned by Holden, dont know if that is reason.

Anyway next day going to work after having the fluid changed, the clutch started slipping so badly it became impossible to drive, so Holden assist towed the car back to Zupps. I then emailed their service manager who rang me very promptly advising that the problem was in the master cylinder & that a reco unit would be fitted. However after telling him the car was under warranty his reply was "bleepin that case we'll fit a brand spanker ", which was duly done.

Fast forward to December 04 & the car refused to start...not even a hint of a spark, once again towed back to Zupps there it remained until December 22, when a new fuel pump was fitted but it was delayed as the part had to come from Melb & then they had to drop the tank to fit it...at least it was all covered by warranty.

But now the clutch has developed a shudder especially in the mornings or if it hasnt been driven for a day or two, so your problems with your clutch may be a similar situation.

I really enjoy the car, its comfortable, goes very well and in my opinion is good on fuel, I will get easily 600kms from a tank & I have never put more than 70 litres in it.

Now I hear there is a recall for a suspension fault, although I'am more concerned about the clutch shudder.

Thanks
AnswerID: 95454

Follow Up By: PMD - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:19

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:19
Chris,

I haven't had a problem with the feel of the clutch taking up, it has always felt normal except for the shudder, which is now rectified.
The grinding noise I mentioned stopped a few days before I was to take it back to the dealer, but re appeared this weekend, after engaging 4WD to manouver my boat in my driveway. It kept up for about 4km's but dissapeared again after I pressed the 4WD button a few times, so it appears to be something to do with the 4WD not disengaging properly.
I too get about 500km's out of a tank, driving around the Sutherland Shire, more on a long drive, and can't remember having to put more than 70 ltrs in the tank.

cheers
FollowupID: 354591

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 23:56

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 23:56
I am sorry to say but Borg Warner have alot to answer to fo,r their late model equipment is crap. Not as strong as before !!!!!!
AnswerID: 95470

Sponsored Links