1992 V6 Jackaroo

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:55
ThreadID: 19121 Views:2378 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Heya All,
I am after some friendly hints and tips. I have just bought a 1992 V6 Jackaroo with 180k. After a couple of years absence from 4wding I am finally going to get back out and have some fun.
I am hoping that some of the wise people out there can give me some 1992 Jackaroo specific advise for what to look out for with the Jackaroo in terms of 4wding. Any tips and hints (beyond the standard hints and tips that apply to every vehicle) about keeping the vehicle in good working order when I am out bush. Also if there are some must do modifications that people know of I would love to hear from you.
Anyhow if you have any information that could assist me in having a fun, hassle free time with my new toy please let me know.

Thanks in advance guys...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 07:22

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 07:22
Mate of mine has the same model, he is touring S.A / W.A as I write this.
He LOVES it. Only mods he's got is extractors and polyair bags in the rear.
Get a decent set of tyres, regular service and you'll keep on goin for years. The transfer case hangs down a bit low but with carefull driving it should'nt be too much of a issue. A great vehicle that will go far.

Rob
AnswerID: 91715

Follow Up By: JHA - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 13:09

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 13:09
I pick her up on Tuesday and have her booked in to get a cargo barrier, snorkel and a set of BFG All Terrians.... I might look into extractors... Thanks for your reply.
FollowupID: 350572

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:23

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:23
I own a 1992 V6 3.2L Jackaroo.

Where to start.

I have found that although the transfer case hangs low the bigger problem is your exhaust. There is a pipe which sits very low but also just at a point where it gets the biggest chance of getting damaged as you come of a rock or a hump. It is located just so that when your front suspension sags on the drop your exhaust sits just in the right position to cop a flogging. Have a look underneath and you will see what I mean.I have had more close calls with my exhaust than my transfer case.I am currently getting quotes to relocate that pipe. Also if you get a chance rip out those restrictors located in your exhaust where the two pipes become one before your cat convertor. Taking out those restrictors will get better fuel economy and better pickup. I was told they were there for stopping vibrations in the exhaust at a certain rev but I haven't picked it.
I also am trying to work out a better way of protecting my transfer case but no ideas at the moment yet.
Watch out for your alternator as it is low down as well.
I personally have not gone through mud or creek crossings yet as I am still only a newbie at 4WDing.

Other than that I have no complains about the car. Drives great and has plenty of power. Check out "http://australia4wd.com/" as it has a section dedicated to Jackaroos.

They are not in the same class as Landcruisers or Patrols for underbody protection but with care driving off road will take you everywhere you will want to go.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 91795

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 23:10

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 23:10
stick some taller springs in the back, tweak up the torsion bars an inch and a half, whack on some good rubber, and drop pressures to about 24-26 on the tracks and you will love it.

Change all the fluids in the vehicle now, and at the 200,000 service make sure you change the timing belt tensioner at the same time as the belt, otherwise you can end up with bad knocking sounds when cold because the tensioner loses pressure over time. Also change any noisy lifters at the same time.
Whack in a uni-filter and whip out the restrictors in the pipes, that should put a smile on your dial for now.

Oh and spray some silicone in the plastic spring loaded wedge under the rear door, otherwise it will drive you nuts with the squeaking.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 91868

Sponsored Links