Caravan TV antenna

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 19:24
ThreadID: 19123 Views:14768 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all-knowing experts out there.
I have just bought an Antsig omni-directional boat and caravan TV antenna. As well as the amplified antenna the box contains a "power combiner splitter" but, apart from an assembly diagram on the box there is no info as to what this thing does or indeed where it should be mounted. Words printed on the "combiner splitter" itself indicate that the signal may be split to service two TVs, the last thing I want in a 17 ft caravan!
The "combiner splitter" also needs a separate 12 volt power source.
Can I please be advised if this mystery component will be useful. Or will direct connection to the amplified antenna do an adequate job out in the boondocks?
Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:47

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:47
yes... the splitter would only be needed if you wanted to run 2 receivers ie, TV & Video recorder...As to whether you get reception in the boonies it depends to a large degree how you are situated... maybe if you are on a hill with clear space around you you may get a signal. If you are in a town under a wet tree then maybe you should bring out the Mahjong board. UHF TV is line of sight even with an amplifier at full power things like wet trees, brick walls attenuate the signal. I have a wingard fitted to my van and even it suffers especially if the signal is transmitted with vertical polarity...
AnswerID: 91654

Reply By: David Au - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 21:06
The main aerial wire screws on the bottom of the aerial, the amplifier then gets connected to the aerial cable, then you plug the aerial cable from the TV into the no 1 TV outlet plug. The aerial will not function without the amplifier and a 12vDC supply. The unit normally comes with a mains - 12vDC adaptor and a 12vDC cable.

They are a fair aerial that require rotating for optimum signal.
Suggest you have a look at the Bits & Pieces website
AnswerID: 91664

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:01

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:01
I have this aerial in my van and don't bother using the amplifier. The aerial works fine without it and doesn't seem to make much of a difference if connected to the amplifier (only have the one TV).

But as for "will not function without the amplifier and a 12vDC supply", have you actually used one!!! Try using the TV without the aerial and then connecting the aerial (no amplifier). Goes from a blank screen to proper reception!!!

But I do agree about the rotating bit, makes a huge difference when aligned properly.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 350447

Follow Up By: David Au - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:14

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:14
I have a DSE one on my campervan, and it does not function without the amplifier. I will try it tomorrow when I am close to a TV TX. They all look the same manufacture.
Perhaps you have a crook amplifier, as I had to return one recently for exchange that the amplifier was faulty. The amplifier on the DSE unit also has a gain control on the side.
FollowupID: 350451

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:38

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 23:38
I don't know if my amplifier is faulty or not, but it doesn't change the fact that the antsig aerial works without it!

The antsig amplifier doesn't have a gain control that I can see, it appears to be a separate 12V powered splitter that is only of use if using 2 TV's (in a van - bad enough having one TV!!!). Personally I wouldn't bother fitting the splitter, probably best to see if it makes any difference before properly installing it.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 350458

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:51

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:51
I have the Dome, works pretty well for an "Omni directional" but DOES need rotating. On (non-scientific) comparisons with others it seems pretty good.
I know it's not the same brand, but without the amp plugged in to 12v I might as well use a plastic coathanger.
FollowupID: 350554

Reply By: Bazza - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:54

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 08:54
G'Day ozromer,
I also have the same antenna, and find that it works well without the power amp if if I'm situated reasonably local to a TV station, but if I'm situated 200klms past "Scrotum Flats", it needs the amp to be watchable
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 91723

Follow Up By: ozromer - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:06

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:06
Laze 'n Gem
(forgive the Frank Hardy, but so much expressive Australian is now replaced by US concocted and soggy words - a bit like our diet).
Thanks very much for the advice. There seems to be a large mesaure of agreement that I should keep the amplifier handy and do some practical experimentation.
Interesting that Captain and David stress the need to rotate the antenna whereas it is advertised as not requiring this manoeuvre.
I look forward to meeting many of you on the track.
Des
FollowupID: 350525

Sponsored Links