Suspension mods on a GU patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1915 Views:3412 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a GU Patrol petrol that has done 70,000 Km. But I find that I am gettting to be over 3.2 tonne (fuel & water; passengers & gear; roof rack & second spare, etc all weigh heaps). So she sags in the rear a bit. Any suggestions? The shocks seem OK.
I have about $ 400 to spend. I am disinclined to go just to poly airs: was thinking of a more complete , whole of vehicle approach.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
I had the same problem with my GQ, considered polyairs but heard stories of damaged mounts so went for springs instead. Priced the big suppliers but ended up going for King springs at a big saving. I am told that TJM springs are King Springs. So far I'm very happy with the results.
AnswerID: 6370

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
I had the same problem and decided on Polyair. Air bags can be addjusted to different weights and they have one year warrenty. If you put heavy duty springs you may end up with very stiff back suspension when unloaded.
AnswerID: 6372

Reply By: CLIVEB - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Enforcer springs are the most economical,these are in fact king springs.
scratch of the blue paint and you will find king yellow.
Also the selection charts used by enforcer outlets is put out by king springs.
I have used these on 3 nissans with no problems,trips include the simpson,canning and most recently arnhem land.
Get progressive rate springs and you have the best of both worlds.
AnswerID: 6401

Follow Up By: Rick - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the advice re Kings springs - will try them tomorrow.

Can you give any advice about how I can fit them myself & save nearly
$ 150 fitting fee?
FollowupID: 2850

Reply By: CLIVEB - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
FITTING IS RELATIVELY EASY.BE SURE TO USE SAFETY STANDS AND BE AWARE OF THE STORED ENERGY IN THE COMPRESSED SPRINGS.VEHICLE WHEELS MUST BE SECURELY CHOCKED.REMOVE THE ANTI SWAY BAR BOLTS AND THE LOWER SHOCKERS.THEN YOU NEED TWO JACKS,ONE TO RAISE THE BODY AND THE OTHER THE AXLE. REMOVE THE WHEEL LEAVING THE JACK UNDER THE AXLE.JACK UP THE BODY UNTIL THE SPRING IS ALMOST FULLY EXTENDED,THEN LOWER THE AXLE JACK UNTIL THE SPRING CAN BE REMOVED,TAKE GREAT CARE NOT TO STRETCH THE BRAKE HOSE DURING THIS OPERATION.
REFIT THE NEW SPRING AND REVERSE THE ABOVE METHOD.
THE FRONT SPRINGS ARE HARDER TO FIT WITHOUT DAMAGING THE BRAKE HOSES,USUALLY REQUIRING THE RADIUS ARMS TO PUSHED DOWNWARDS. A SPRING COMPRESSOR ALLOWS THIS OPERATION TO BE PERFORMED EASILY (YOU CAN PERHAPS HIRE THIS EQUIP OR PURCHASE FROM ACCESS SHOP) TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK.
AnswerID: 6418

Follow Up By: Rick - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
Top Stuff, Clive - will install when I buy ,now with confidence,
Rick
FollowupID: 2871

Sponsored Links