old Jayco floor's BUGGERED

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 02:12
ThreadID: 19167 Views:2635 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
EVER REPLACED THE CAMPER FLOOR?

Well the old old camper floor is buggerred! For reasons known only to themselves the floor was made from "weet bix". I was told it was a jayco when I bought it, I went looking for a joyco because they are solid with a plywood floor. Well someone told lies. Perhaps it is the ols ones (84) that has weet bix floors but the point is mute now.

Has anyone replaced the floor in a camper, unfortunately the bloody floor goes between the wall and chassis which makes it more complicated.

Is it a practical exercise?
Can I do it?
What would it cost for a pro refit?
Should I just torch it and go back to the swag?

Truckster, I know the swag was OK and did not hold up traffic but the camper is comfortable.

Daryl ;{
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:11

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:11
Hi Daryl
We had an 82 model Jayco Swann that had the floor collapse while under warranty. If was made from ply wood, but had a large fault in it. They replaced the floor in 2 days and it was fine after that.
Must be possible to replace the floor without total destroying the van. Check with a caravan and camper repair place.
Best of luck
Ray
AnswerID: 91912

Reply By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:37

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:37
Have you considered using one of the fibreglass timber reinforcing products that soak right into the timber and then glues it all back together. They use them on timber on boats that has gone rotten in some places and the products if used in the correct application can be highly effective. Perhaps you could turn the whole unit upside down and also re-inforce the floor timber.
AnswerID: 91954

Follow Up By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:44

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:44
This Everdure product (bottom of page) is one type of types of product. I have used Everdure and thinned (correct thinners is vital) will go right into timber. You may need four or five coats. There are other products, and it depends on how bad your floor is. I have used Everdure extensively and it is an awesome product.
FollowupID: 350765

Follow Up By: Darylive - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:35
Thanks Dave,

Unfortunatly I think it is probably too far gone. I patched some holes with ply. The previous owner had coated the floor with some sort of black (deadening compound I think) to cover it. So this would have to be removed to apply the Everdure effectively and frankly I do not think it would survive the cut back.

regards Daryl ;{
FollowupID: 351580

Sponsored Links