BBQ designs - what is the best vandal proof design you have seen.

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 10:57
ThreadID: 19172 Views:3946 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Every national park or state forest etc has a different design - lets see if we can come up with a strong vandal resistant one; good for camp ovens, hot plate, billy etc and can cope with people bashing timber over the top of them. Easy to clean out, simple to make, cheap etc. Can we get photos also of examples.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 12:44

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 12:44
Hole in the ground. Easy to clean, cheap, vandal proof.... ;)

Anything built can be smashed...
Sad times we live in
AnswerID: 91925

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:44

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:44
Yep your right - they trash everything; we have had complete compsting loos burnt to the ground along with tables etc, we also had a steam roller that was stolen drive over one of those huge npws super gates and on another occasion a stolen loader removed the gate and decided to go for a drive thru the park but not on any track. Wonder why you have to pay park fees - there's your answer.
Hole in the ground is simple enough !
FollowupID: 350788

Reply By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:47

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:47
no BBQ or fire places at all.
the BBQ are always dirty and damaged. I don't believe you could come up with a BBQ that was vandal proof and functional. Signs banning fires should be mandatory so they stop cutting down the surrounding scrub. Put the money into tables and chairs, decent toilets, water tank and maintenance.
Don't worry about National Parks we don't do them anymore, but state forests and freebies - yes please.
AnswerID: 91940

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:32

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:32
If fire places are provided - so should wood be provided. The high visited sites in national parks you will see wood fire prohibited, because of people destroying the surrounding environment. I have also seen fire wood supplies in the camp grounds emptied by locals coming down with their box trailers.
Anyway in remote areas nearlly all campers like the camp fire to sit around particularly in winter.
Fees in national parks, I can understand where you are coming from but state forests get their money to run them from the logging, so I guess parks just look elsewhere to try & get some funding.
FollowupID: 350786

Reply By: phil - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:31

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:31
I never use the supplied BBQ's. We just use a folding griller.
The most practical fireplaces seem to be the concrete ring which contains the fire area well. It is also bash resistant.

Phil I
AnswerID: 91946

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:50

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:50
I think I agree with you, we always bring our own aswell, you never know what some vandal has done to a hot plate. I won't tell you either, otherwise you'll be sick.
We have a design that came from the NT and it is basically a metal bowl shaped pit sitting slightly off the ground with a bar that swivels across the pit for a billy.
FollowupID: 350790

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:14

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:14
Thats wat i love about my off road box trailer, in some ways much better than a tent mountedcamp trailer. Just empty it and drive a kilometre out of camp and you have an unlimited wood supply. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 91969

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:34

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:34
I like the round fire places about 1.4m in diameter with a steel rim 150 high, 6mm thick with a concrete base. A pivioting pole about 600 high with a billy hook on one swing arm & a 350mm square hot plate on another.
This design allows for a larger group fire with the steel rim stopping logs from rolling out & the concrete base easy to clean up the ash. The pivoting BBQ pole is about as vandel proof as a hot plate can be if properly secured. Smaller fire places only end up with people piling the wood on top & buckling the steel.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 91987

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 17:13
The ones at Big Billy Bore in the Big Desert in Vic go one step further on this design and it is probably for vandal proofing I guess.

There is a second upright pole on the other side of the tractor rim (with concrete bowl poured inside) and a cross bar across the top that joins them. Any additional leverage applied in the form of vandalism is transferred also to the other side too.

There's a grossly over engineered hotplate swinging on one side and a mesh one on the other. Slight bends in the ones we saw indicate that even overengineering will be challenged by vandals but it would appear these were up to the challenge. You could also hang a camp oven off a hook or chain if there was one on the top bar but I can't remember if one was provided.

Even with the slight lean on the hotplate the side lip was high enough to stop the snags rolling off and I suppose the lean promotes low fat cooking.

I'll see if any of the photos I have around the campfire do it justice and if so I'll place a link in the next few days.

Dave
FollowupID: 351040

Reply By: SteveW - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:40

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:40
I dont think i've seen much better than the one Crackles has decribed, i take my own gas bbq for cooking- easier, cleaner and more controlled cooking (plus you dont burn ya hands if fire is too hot). i mist say i can't remember the last time i saw a fireplace vandalised or toilets or gates vandalised. where i go ( blue mountains, barrington tops ets) it takes alot of effort to get there and the facilities aren't like 10 minutes from the main road and suburbia. The toilets are rather well looked after (as much as a pit toiled can be). its all about respect- i want the facilities to still be there and in good nick for when i come back.

I'm not sure why people would be bashing timber over the fireplaces.. i cant say i have, its not that hard to break small bits of timber and just leave the bigger bits sticking out and burn them down. and I dont see why wood should be provided, if that had to happen i can't imagine how many parks would be downscaled by NPWS because they dont have the resources. its not hard to drive down the road 500m and fill the back of the wagon/ute/trailer up. and i have seen a few times people leave half full bags of timer they have bought and brought in and left for the next person, can't say i have even been desperate for wood

sorry if a ramble on

steve
AnswerID: 92050

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 22:30
If NPWS provide wood fires, so should they provide wood, why because under the national park legislation it is an offence to remove from the bush fallen timber etc - it is habitat. If no wood is provided then the bush around the camping area gets axed / chainsawed etc. It is best to bring wood along with you just in case, I have seen the wood provided by NPWS taken away by locals for their own house fire places.
FollowupID: 351431

Follow Up By: SteveW - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:43
Don't get me wrong Jeff, I'd love it if NPWS provided firewood- and at times i have seen some fallen trees cut up propably for that purpose- but i think if it came down to them having to provide timber for every campsite then it would become too much of a hassall and they would probably wind back some areas dude to cost cutting & accessability. I have never really cared about using wood for nearby for firewood, the national parks are pretty bloody big and me taking 4 or 5 logs and some sticks ain't gonna make a difference- at the end of the day if NPWS supply firewood its only going to cut down some trees so what does it matter if i just gets some dead stuff rather than them go cutting down trees.
FollowupID: 351447

Sponsored Links