Plastic welding required (Victoria)

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:30
ThreadID: 19194 Views:2332 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
My wagon recently took an opportunity to, quite literally, meet a stunning little gum tree. The outcome of this meeting was slight scarring to the trunk of the offending gum, and significant puncture wounds to the (now I regret having them) plastic flares on the rear LHS of my vehicle.

Any tips on where to find a reputable plastic welder in metro Vic would be greatly appreciated.

Chaba.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:03

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:03
Hi Chaba
Sorry Can't remember the name, but there is a headlight/ bumper bar repair place in Abbortsford, just near gipps st and Nicholos st. They repaired some things on my 300zx TT.
Crazie
AnswerID: 91990

Follow Up By: Chaba - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:31

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:31
Thanks for the tip Crazie. I'll take a drive out there this week to get a quote. It's amazing to see what a piece of timber can do your rig.

How do you find the 300? I looked at one recently but was told by my lovely wife (she might read this) that I had to look for something more practical. For now, she drives the Camry, and I drive the Prado.

Cheers,

Chaba.
FollowupID: 350822

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:04

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:04
Hey Adam could they repair scratches in plastic?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 350852

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:37
Hey chaba
The 300zx twin turbo was insane, never driven anything as quick and never had anything beat it hahaha. I had the turbo's boosted. Recently traded it in on a new Alfa GTV. Great car, if you like 2 seats and a cd stacker.

Hi Bonz
Not sure if they can fix scratches mate, maybe a fine bit of went and dry. Have you scratched your flares??

cheers
Crazie
FollowupID: 350904

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 18:01

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 18:01
Yer well Kate scratched the back flare in a car park and the front one when learning to drive on the brick fence post out the front and I have had a go at the rear bumper...its well past wet and dry I reckon mate.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 351056

Follow Up By: Chaba - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:48
Crazie,

I haven’t had a chance to get out to Abbortsford yet. Been hard at it at work. I'm hoping to get out there this weekend.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to further dislike the mundane (practical). ..."Recently traded it in on a new Alfa GTV. Great car, if you like 2 seats and a cd stacker."

I'm happy to pay you if you can convince my better half that 2 seats are better than four in a family car..lol.

Cheers,

Chaba.

FollowupID: 351583

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:44

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:44
Hey Chabba

The 2 seats and they CD stacker was the 300zx, fantastic car. Well how to convince the other half to have 2 seats...mmmm well when we got the Alfa, told my girlfriend, we have a 4WD, 7 seater, we do not need another 4 door car, told her how hot and gorgeous she looked in the sporty number and how all the guys would look at her hahaha, seriously i did. So now we have an understanding, we will always have at least 1 4WD and 1 sports car, life is good.
cheers
Crazie
FollowupID: 351626

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 13:53

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 13:53
Hi Chaba
Yes, too much plastic these days.
Can't help with a Plastic Welder but, out of interest, thought I'd mention what we do instead of replace the plastic or repair it! (Has anybody priced some of these flares lately??)
Seems so many offroaders have problems damaging the plastic.

This won't suit everybody but has solved lots of problems for a friend of mine.

We removed the flares and bumpers and made a metal rear bumper. - theres an early shot of the conversion in my gallery - (May even upload a shot of the finished product later). - It attracts a lot of interest wherever it goes -
follow the link to my rig profile. and have a look in my photo gallery.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 92043

Follow Up By: Chaba - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:59

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:59
Hi Kerry,

You’re right about there being too much plastic. I didn't realise how soft it was until the inevitable happened.

I checked out your rig and can only say "yum" to the checkerplate. Fantastic idea, but am worried about how it might affect resale.

Definitely worth considering though.

Cheers,

Chaba.
FollowupID: 351588

Reply By: SteveW - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:00

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 14:00
Hi Chaba,

are the flares not replaceable? or are they pretty much stuck to the car? i know some are just easier to remove and get a new one from a wreaker or from dealer..

goodluck

steve
AnswerID: 92046

Follow Up By: Chaba - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:12

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:12
Hey Steve,

The flares are replaceable (they pretty much clip straight on). Problem is, as per Muzz's message, which followed yours, the replacement cost is rude to say the least. The only quote for replacement I’ve received so far had the cost at $627.

I figured that it might be cheaper to have the punctures welded rather than replacing the damaged sections.

I'm still waiting on a couple of replacement quotes though, and will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Chaba.
FollowupID: 351596

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 01:10

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 01:10
Hi there, I backed over a tree stump a while back and buggered the LH rear plastic wheel arch on my GU. I asked around about plastic welding and was told that because of the heat used in the plastic welding, it would leave a "scar" just like welding steel, and I would be able to see where the work had been done (YUK).

So I got new ones from nissan and had the panel beater fit them ( some of the metal was bent where the damn things ripped out). I've already scratched the new ones too!

The two bits of plastic guard cost $765.00 !! AARRGGHH !!

Damn, I new I shoulda got the plain patrol (DX), no carpet to bugger up and no plastic bits to bust off, and I'd be able to wind up the windows without having to look for the bloody keys!

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 92113

Follow Up By: Chaba - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:28
Hi Muzz,

Yeah, "AARRGGHH" is right.

It's a lot of cash for a piece of plastic.
As mentioned to Steve in an earlier response, the only replacement quote I have so far was $627 for exactly the same part (toyo Prado version) you had replaced.

Given what you said about the quality of finished weld, I'm keen to see what sort of finish can be guaranteed on my little job.

Will keep you posted.

Chaba.
FollowupID: 351600

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:11

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:11
try the dashboard doctor in brunswick.
AnswerID: 92153

Sponsored Links