Dustproofing

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 01:14
ThreadID: 19196 Views:2293 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Having spent the best part of a day trying to make the tacky plastic panelling visible again after a New Year trip around Corner Country and the Darling River, I was musing about why 4wd manufacturers don't do more to dustproof their products. Is it just my truck (Suzuki XL-7) or are others that poor too in this respects? I follow all the usual rules - a/c on, internal air circulation, wait for dust to settle before opening doors when stopping, etc) but the things still gets covered in it. Any other suggestions for reducing dust intake?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:06

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:06
Hi mungo did the trip go well.
I tape up the air vents at the rear externally and run the air con.
This helps.
All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 91996

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:39

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:39
Hi Eric, yes the trip went very well, wasn't half as hot as it can be up there this time of the year, and almost no flies.
Thanks for the tip with the air vents, will try that!
FollowupID: 350885

Reply By: Top Cat - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:21

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:21
Pretty easy really..........dont go on dirt roads.

I dont have a problem with dust.........it gets on stuff.........if u dont want it there then u wipe it off.........

If u go in the rain, u get wet.

If u swim in the ocean, u get eaten.

if u drive on dirt, u get dust.
AnswerID: 92001

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:40

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:40
Hahahahahaha...you're so right!!!
FollowupID: 350828

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:40

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:40
Wow, who'd have thought that?
FollowupID: 350886

Reply By: D-Jack - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:34

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:34
I always thought that you need to switch off the internal air cicrulation to create cabin pressure so to speak. Put the air con on (or fan if u don't need a/c), set to fresh air from outside and it will work a lot better. The faster the fan setting the better. May be the problem, but most if not all cars get dust inside to some degree. Not too good thoughj if you are following a car too close - just blows dust in as well!

D-Jack
AnswerID: 92003

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:45

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:45
Yes you are correct (from my understanding) - if you just have internal recirculation and fan/air conditioner on all you are doing is moving the air around - no extra pressure is created. You need to force EXTRA air into cabin by having fresh air on and fan on - this will create positive pressure compared to outside and reduce dust ingress into cabin as air will tend to be going out all the little holes/gaps instead of in. Assumes your fresh air intake is getting clean air of course. You will never stop it all - just a fact of life.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 350842

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:44

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:44
That's interesting. I always thought the a/c fan pressurised the cabin whatever the airflow, and that switching to internal circulation was simply good sense to reduce the amount of dust getting in.
I accept, of course, that there'll always be some dust when you travel on dirt roads, but it just seemed worse this time than before.
FollowupID: 350887

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:10

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:10
Oh No! I think i'm Gay...
when I get dust in my car I wind the windows up and try to presurise the cabin and if its hot I put the aircon on... and heaven forbid if my fridge turns off cause the solar panel failed to recharge the battery and I cant drink my beer.
I think i'll just have to head up to the kimberley with a few of the boys for dust sniffing practice. I guess tailgating a few roadtrains with my windows down should do the trick and to hell with the fridge, Ill just grab a hotty from under the seat where the real men keep them.
Thanks for the entertainment you big tough guys..LOL
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 92082

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 20:38

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 20:38
Woobla - being Gay is Ok - we do not discriminate here. Drinking warm beer is also Ok... A man's not a (gay) camel.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 350892

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:24

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:24
if not following anyone, fresh air open, fan on 1 or 2 should do the trick nicely, yes taping up the rear vents will help pressurise it heaps, although it restricts the 'natural' flow through of the air. when on recirc, there will still be a bit of leakage into the vehicle past the shutoff box, but the fan is really only used to give some air movement especially if hot.

not just your vehicle mate, all of them do it, just some worse than others. eg - some jacks had a small section of panel sealer mising in the l/h rear behind the wheel arch, which lets in heaps of dust past the panels. so remember its not just the door seals which can leak dust. But keep it presurised ind its sweet.

Dang, guess i'm not real tough, but i do like eating dust free meals, as does the missus..
And all those rally drivers must be real soft and loving, fitting those pressurisation vents to their cars :)))
AnswerID: 92155

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:50

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:50
Funny how the same issue came up in two parallel threads on the same day (see the thread about "Frontera dustproofing"), with the same misunderstanding of the internal recirc issue prompting it!
FollowupID: 351118

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:42

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:42
yeah i noticed that, spooky.

Ah well at least there are a few more of us who now know how to be dust free happy & lovin..

cheers mate.

Ps - go the super suzi.
FollowupID: 351212

Sponsored Links