Where can I get a good priced 3way fridge?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 21:39
ThreadID: 19239 Views:2077 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get hold of a reasonably priced 3way fridge. I know everyone was selling them just before xmas, but so far I havent been able to find one. I thought the fridge in my camper was working but after having it hooked up to 240v for 2 days the temp is only getting down to 12c (and its not even hot) so unless someone knows a miracle cure, it looks like I shall have to rip it out and replace with one of the others.(if i can find one) And we are due to leave on the 8th of Feb, grrrrrrrrrr.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 21:45

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 21:45
Craig,

Before you fling it, give it a run on gas. If it works OK it will indicate the electric element is almost shot. They cost about $125 to fix. Around $180 for a full service; flue clean, burner check etc.

Also ensure the area where the gas flame is clean, spiders can nest in there and bugger the flame. This is only necessary if it doesn't run on gas.

Good Luck,

Jim.
AnswerID: 92268

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:03

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:03
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info.
This might be a bit of a daft question. But do you need to turn on any gas taps etc on the fridge to run it on gas. (we only bought this camper about a month ago and it doesnt have any instructions and i havent been able to find any on the web)
The only gas controls I can find is the tap on the bottle.
On the fridge there is a rocker switch that says 12v off 240v, then there is a push buton with the number 30' beside it and up the other end is some sort of auto igniter, the type that click when you press it in.
I am thinking that you hold in the one with the 30' beside it for 30seconds then press the click switch to supposedly ignite a pilot flame somewhere. And switch the rocker to off.
Does that sound right?

Cheers
Craig
FollowupID: 351114

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:28

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:28
Craig,

Not a daft question.

Turn the 12/240 switch to off. Turn on the gas, with a regulator fitted in the lead. Hold the button down and press the igniter repeatedly until the flame lights and continue to hold the button down for 30 seconds. They are fitted with a bi-metallic valve that goes cold and seals should the gas blow out. DO NOT wait 30 seconds before hitting the igniter, this will allow a pool of gas to form before you ignite and it could go BANG. If it's an upright caravan style fridge it will have a liitle reflective window that will glow once the gas is alight. If it's a chest style, put your hand above the fins to feel for heat. If it fails to light after 5 or 6 clicks, leave it for about 5 minutes to let the gas clear and try again.

Note, the only thing that allows gas to flow is holding the button down or if it ignites and allows gas to flow through the valve. Hence they are quite safe as long as you don't hold the button down too long without it firing up. That is, it is not safe to hold the button down for an extended period whilst "clicking".

If you need any further explanation give me a call tomorrow on 0438 101983.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 351116

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:35

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 22:35
Hi Jim,
Thanks a lot for that info, I will give it a go hopefully tommorrow. Have to head up to Tweed to get a price on getting a new canvas fitted to the pop top. So hoping we can do without having to get another fridge.

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 92280

Reply By: greghud - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:57
had exactly the same experence but it was not the element did all the tests and best i could get was 15c at 30c ambent temp. so off i went to the wacko shop for a new upright 12v. as i was pullin the old one out (door off all the fittings dissacembled to fit thru the door) i remember the story bout these 3 ways some times get a blockage and need to be turned upside down and shaken to un block or mix the fluid? as i pull it out of the van i hear a gurgle sound and twig!! so i shake th c@%p out of it and put it all to gether in the shed.
fridge temp 1.3 frezer -19.7 with an ambent temp in the shed of 38!!!!!!!! (i live in darwin so thats normal) and that was set to 4 on the thermastat.
so off to the wacko shop quick fast to cancel my order and thankfuly it hadnnt been shipped yet.
its now back in tha van and runnin strong this was a 83 model electrolux domitec fridge and it dont look new but runs like it
i think the above problem happens when they are sitting still to long. wot better excuse to take the van for a 'drive'
the only other tip i have is i have found that these units are VERY fussy bout being LEVEL!!! and that will affect the performance ALOT!!!! SO CHECK IT IS DEAD FLAT!
hope that helps, greg
AnswerID: 92349

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:07
Thanks for that. If it still refuses to work on gas I wil shake the C#*p out of it and give it a go.

Cheers
FollowupID: 351197

Follow Up By: greghud - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:41
yea just remember to flip it several times and shake it whilst upsidown. also a good oppitunity to clean the gas chamber and fins at the back of the unit
let us know how u go, greg
FollowupID: 351211

Sponsored Links