troopy rollover

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:23
ThreadID: 19249 Views:4544 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I saw a picture of a troopy rollover, supposedly due to a tyre blowout ( the photo was on page 118 of the Jan 05 Issue of Overlander, the magazine that seems to write mostly about Range Rovers or other 4bys that the ordinary Joe can't afford)
One would suppose that the wheels & other stuff on the roof, contributed to the rollover! I wonder if I should still carry my ladder & stuff on the roof racks?
Sparky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:58

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:58
True the 75 troopies are a bit top heavy when you load up the roof rack, but not knowing what that driver was doing leading up to the blow out (driving to fast etc) I have not heard of to many playing dead ants through normal driving.

Only pack light things up there, I shudder when see a troopy carrying a boat and motor pluss spare tyre on the roof heading up the OTL or into Cape Melville, thats asking for trouble.
AnswerID: 92332

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:22
Sorta remnds me of a guy who came around for 4wdver training. He told us the story about a youngr lad in his classpouted about hiluxs being roluxs and always go over. He walked him out to the carpark and asked him how many were parked there (about 4) and told him to come back when he saw one of them roll. When he replyed that they wouldnt roll because noone was in them the penny dropped - it is the way they are driven. Quite a few minesites have mandatory roll over protection for vehicles because the industry is full of #$%heads that are young dumb and full of stuff. Havind said that the less weight up high the better (check out my rig pic to see that is a hypocritical statement)
AnswerID: 92335

Reply By: Simon C - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:43
If it is the article on the left drive Troppy that came from Europe....I beleive he states in the write up that he had a tyre repaired, and that was the tyre that failed. Says he learnt his leason on getting tyres repaired.

May have or may not have contributed to the roll over. Also, as mentioned in other posts, you don't know what he was doing.

Simon
AnswerID: 92343

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:48
The number of Britz troopies that have been rolled in the outback would be frightening.

It happens because:
#1 Vehicles driven too fast on dirt roads by inexperienced drivers
#2 They are easily made top heavy with a roofrack, jerries, tyres etc
#3 They are part-time 4wd. If 4wd was engaged on all dirt roads, the chances of rollover will be reduced as its less likely that the driver would lose control of the rear end.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 92345

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:50

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:50
And when it comes to tyres, splitrims are not as safe because they instantly deflate when punctured or the tubes fatigue and split. A loaded troopie that lets down a tyre at 100k is horrible to control.

cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 351190

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:16
After having driven a laden troopy all over Oz for over 20 years with only one 'moment' that I can recall, I'd agree with most of the comments made.
It is a truck and should be driven accordingly within its and your limitations. I always ran standard split rims and yes did experience a few flats but as I wasn't driving at excessive speed for the condtions was able to keep control.
If the particular trip required a roof rack (with 5 in the family it was frequently the case) we only ever had soft/light stuff up there when on the highway and quicker dirt roads. On desert trips we occasionally had a fuel bladder with 80 litres of diesel for the first day or so but it was emptied ASAP and when it was up there the vehicle was driven accordingly.
I too have seen troopies roll over, usually at excessive speed for the conditions.
We would rarely travel in excess of 95 -100 on the highway and around 80 max on good dirt.
Most 4 wheelers will fall over if driven beyond the vehicle and drivers capabilities, I'd bet that far more Prado's, 80 series, 100's and Patrols have been rolled than troopies purely on the ones we've seen on our travels.
AnswerID: 92359

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:26
And don't foeget the Disco's.
FollowupID: 351203

Follow Up By: bundyman - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:59

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:59
Absolutely spot-on Peter!!! I've never had a problem with my 75 Series even with the boat up top - because I know how it handles and drive accordingly! Not a Sh%t show in hell that I would ever swerve for a roo or the like because the risk of lossing it and rolling is much greater. Too many inexperienced 4WDers thing they're still driving the family sedan while on open roads all loaded up for the big trip. A roo jumps out and they swerve like they've done a couple of times before in the sedan or an unladen 4x4 and whammo - over she goes. And then the media jump on the band wagon and say how unsafe 4x4's are - ITS THE BLOODY DRIVER! (Arrr.. getting myself worked up just thinking about it)

Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 351221

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:25

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:25
http://www.fjexpeditions.com/expeditions/past/nov00/gap_cars.jpg

(500 litres of fuel on roofrack)
AnswerID: 92462

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:42
I load my roof up more than I should, however I stiffen up the rear end with the poly bags and the surf is not real tall to start with. But yeah,it's down to common sense really.
AnswerID: 92469

Sponsored Links