Two Faced Solar Panels

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:39
ThreadID: 19265 Views:2585 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, has anyone had experience with "Two Faced Solar Panels" & how they might compare with conventional solar panels?

Thanks,
John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:48

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 17:48
Hi, looked in to them just recently but eventually brought a couple of BP panels as I could get them reasonably cheap. The only thing I'd note is that they rate them with the opposite side at it's max output. So you'd need to ensure you had a very reflective surface. I thought about it as you really need upwards of 2 panels ( total over 150 watts) if you want to run a fridge, a couple of fluros and shower etc for a week in the same place. Sure you can do it with less but either you run the car or flog the batteries. So doesn't answer your question but I think they would be great for space but not sure of how good the reflective surface has to be so you may need to carry something to put on the ground behind the panel.
AnswerID: 92470

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 18:38
The claims they make are wild and not factual in normal use
The quality of manufacture is poor and warranty accordingly is very limited compared to other quality brands. They are made in Russia.
That type of panel has been sampled by other manufacturers and is far from a new idea. You need to mount the panel well off the surface and with heaps of space between the panels. Personally they don't meet the quality specification and I would not sell them.
This is the website of Viva Solar which is the holding company and distributor of the Russian manufacturer. As you can see by their website facts and statistics and lack of warranty etc. they are a pretty backyard operation.

This is a copy from a US solar forum about double sided panels "On average they said, 8% more power, soon negated to around 4% average with dust
and dirt that cannot be cleaned easily, 20% minimum higher mounting cost, larger area required as panels are larger, more space and additional frame work"

If you want to see factually what solar panels give all year round have a look at the Solar Panel Tables I did.
AnswerID: 92481

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:35

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:35
Later on this year we will be revamping our house. I've been seriously considering solar powering it. In doing some further research yesterday I came across a new panel being developed called Silver cell from Origin Energy (factory in S Aus) and are due for release early this year. Supposedly more efficient.

Just thought I'd pass on this bit of info, if ya didn't already know.
AnswerID: 92604

Follow Up By: David Au - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:29

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:29
Expect that to be about two years and first panels will only be 40w in size.
FollowupID: 351530

Follow Up By: Taize - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:04

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:04
Rod,

I contacted Origin Energy to find out the status of their solar panels and got this response

"We don't have any commercially available just yet - working towards April/May this year."

A little later than they expected by not two years as David speculated.

FollowupID: 351899

Reply By: Mainey... - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:23

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:23
David
acca 0zzi..

at your website
http://members.dodo.net.au/~landline/solarhours/index.html

can you .. please.. nicely explain;
on the reddish coloured map of Australia, why the ‘Sun hours’ lines wondering across it and numbered at each end, get to the general top/centre area of Australia then have a decrease in numbers as they go even further north and get closer to the equator, which I believe is directly facing the ‘sun’ ? ?
I was told by my school teachers in Albury NSW the equator was the closest area on earth to the sun, were they wrong?

AnswerID: 93221

Sponsored Links