An expensive lesson to learn...

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 18:01
ThreadID: 19266 Views:2530 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Learnt a very expensive lesson, through an unlucky “ co-incidence” over the holiday period….

Was in Mansfield, (about 15 k out actually), about to head to lunch at the pub, Chrissy day, all the relo’s there. I unwrap and plug my brand new HP iPaq 12 volt ciggy charger in, hook up GPS, ready to impress all aboard, power it all up, yep, everything’s working, including new ipaq charger ( charge light on). I crank the old girl over ( 2002 100 series std wagon, 45,000K) she starts first hit as always , but WHAT THE….. SRS light on, Check Engine Light, Parkbrake light on, ( with hand brake off) Alt light plus a few others. 0 volts indicated on gauge, ????

Ok, the new ipaq Charger has fried the dash. Great. Car running, all ok, we’ll drive to the pub. 30 seconds up the road, I shut all down, key off, then restart. Same problems…. Well, dash definitely screwed. ( Im an electronic technician, and busy explaining what has most likely happened to my passengers…)

10 minutes later, 2 K’s out of town……. BANG…… huge amount of steam out of the sides of the bonnet, and inside the cab??? Has the a/c just gone as well?? Pull straight over, ( after shutting down straight away).. pop the bonnet – steam everywhere. Let it cool down, closer inspection… split top “plastic” tank in radiator, both alternator belts snapped.

Closer inspection, and analysis:

Over the last couple of months, when I’ve been starting her up, the fan belts have been doing that little squeal. It only lasts a second or two, Just enough to remind you to check the belt tension, and forget about it. A closer inspection of the Belts – they are stuffed ( well wore and cracked.)

Removed the radiator, Bummed a ride back to Melb, only to be told – You cant get a new top tank for these. We can order you a new Radiator?... $ 470 later.

So what happened…

It would appear that the fan/alternator belts deteriorating just decided to give up, right at the time I plugged the ipaq charger in. I “assumed” it had fried the dash, when infact no drive to the alternator was causing the dash problems. Was a bit weird some of the lights that were on but hey, She was trying to tell me something!!!!

I hope my expensive incident may remind some one out there to attend to that little squeal when they start there Fourby, or if all those warning light come on,…. THERE TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!!!!!! Had this happened in the middle of nowhere, we would have been absolutely stuffed.

Happy motoring
Jarrod.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 18:19
My belt was squeeling when starting up very seldomly . I didnt think much of it . I decided however to replace the belts . I rang aftermarket place and was quoted $25 for the three belts . I also rang toyota and was quoted $80 . However i soon realised once i saw both sets that the toyota ones are in a league of there own . When i compared the new toyota ones with my old ones i was horrified at how much the old ones had deteriorated .
AnswerID: 92477

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:37
I assume everything is ok now. Tojos (most cars) can crack heads if overheated. Maybe your rad blowing up was a blessing in diguise coz if you kept going the next step would have been a lack of power, siezed motor cracked head. recon heads are about 3k and complete motors around 6k not inc fitting or extras
AnswerID: 92612

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:18
Yup, thanks Jarrod, I've got my three new belts still sitting on the kitchen table because I was getting that little squeal on startup/shutdown and they look pretty tired, but I havn't "got around to it" yet. However I think you may have just inspired me!!
I had a close call (not quite in the same league). We got back from our holiday down south of WA and I noticed grease/oil all inside the front passenger side wheel arche after a 800km of driving day.... WTF? Closer inspection the outer CV boot had cracked and sprayedbleepall the way down to the back of the car. Glad I noticed it before the next beach run!! CV seems ok (only highyway driving) so that's saves some major mula!

AnswerID: 92622

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:08

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:08
Dont keep driving it...theres no lube in there at all...its all rust preventitive now....new boot is cheaper than new c/v...if u can...get an exchange one, as i think yours will now click, as it has been run dry.
Might be wrong...hope i am
Andrew
FollowupID: 351657

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 15:30

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 15:30
It's in the shop now getting the Boot replaced, hasn't made any noise yet and I haven't engaged 4wd since it ruptured so it hasn't been under any great stress (I don't think anyway). Only had short runs around town. Hope it's still ok!!>???
FollowupID: 351720

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:21

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:21
Jarod,

I can understand the timing of pluging in the new gizmo effecting your judgement, but surely an eye on the temp guage would be in order when any warning lights are lighting up?

Had a similar experience with a fan belt going on my GU,(no noise) also on the way to mansfield coincidently, but the steering also became stiff, do the belts on a 100 series also drive the power steering? (not very noticeable at highway speed) plus charge lights etc came on, and temp guage began to rise shortly after, immediately pulled over and fitted spare.

Glad it's "only" a radiator your up for.

Browny
AnswerID: 92710

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:04
Browny,

Power steering pumps on 100series, on diesels anyway, are driven mechanically, off injector pump drive. No loss of steering assistance, except when p/s pump falls off!!! This did happen on a few early 1HZ's, back about '91-92.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 351591

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:13

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:13
The reason this doesnt indicate correctly is there is no flow accross the sensor...the water expands under steam conditions in the block and bang....
My advice here....change your motor oil aswell...cheap insurance, it has been cooked aswell...if its an auto...consider doing this too....new oil only...although it wouldnt have got as hot.
Andrew
FollowupID: 351658

Reply By: brenn dog - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:00
yeah, hi guys just wanted to ad that you should only use bando belts as these are what most manf use as standard equipment . you get excellent service out of them, but you may have to shop around to find them. thanks
AnswerID: 92724

Sponsored Links