Driving Lights-Diff Breathers

Submitted: Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1927 Views:2086 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All what a great forum I'm looking at fitting "Lightforce 170 Striker"driving lights on Prado TD 2001 anyone had experience with these? Are diff breathers the right way to go? any thoughts Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00
diff breathers should be the very first mod on any 4WD
AnswerID: 6424

Reply By: Des - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

While we are on the subject, is there a best or better way of setting up diff breathers.
AnswerID: 6429

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

I think 4x4 Magazine had a recent test on mid size driving lights. In their comparison, they found that the Narva Ultima 175 combo lights were the best value and provided the best lighting performance. Not bad for only $150-$160 a set. Also in the comparison were Hella 1000, Lightforce 170, Cibies and if I recall correctly, IPF.
AnswerID: 6441

Reply By: Darian - Friday, Sep 06, 2002 at 00:00

I have the Lightforce units on my 99 TD Jack - very happy - throw great light (what isn't great though, compared to the stockies that come with cars these days). You will really dig the screw round adjustment of the beam spread, and you can pop on diffusers for more spread or yellow shades for fog. Great design - hope mine last.
dp
AnswerID: 6443

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00
With regard to the magazine comparo's, just keep in mind that they are only comparing usually one factor. My point is there's no point having the brightest lights if they aren't made strong enough to cope with your intended travels. In my experience Narva's aren't built as strong as they could be. Lightforce on the other hand seem to be very well built and you can adjust the focus of each light individually.
AnswerID: 6463

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel ... Fair enough comment. As I remember it, flicking through in the newsagents, there didn't seem to be any mention of construction.
FollowupID: 2893

Follow Up By: Flappan - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Don't forget the mag was also giving a pair of narva lights away. No use in bagging a prize is there.

No way are Narva lights better than Lightforce lights. Another mag did a comparison with all the proper gear and lightforce were well out in front.

Narva Lights aren't bad, for your average driving light, but just don't compare to the lightforce.
FollowupID: 2899

Follow Up By: Plexus - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
Well, I fitted three of the Narva 180mm body driving lights to my Landcruiser, and I ain't very happy. The lights are absolutely great in terms of setting the forest tracks alight; however, mechanically, they're just not up to the job. Rubbish, actually. Problem is, the top lens retaining clip is just plastic, whereas there's a proper metal screw clamp holding the lens at the bottom. What I've found is that over corrugations and potholes, the plastic just doesn't exert enough pressure on the lens, and it simply pops away from the housing (which I may add is a very nice metal-based unit). To their credit, though, the Narva sales rep for my area is meeting up with me on Friday morning this week, to replace the lot at no charge. They readily acknowledge the problem and say it's been rectified. If anyone wants to know how it goes, email me on root@plexus-technologies.com after Monday the 23rd of September, by which time I hope to have had the chance to put them through a trail or two and see how they stand up to the shock.
FollowupID: 2986

Reply By: Member - Des - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sooooooo what about diff breathers or Dosen,t anyone use them?
AnswerID: 6467

Reply By: Cruiser - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Diff breathers, huh? Thought that topic had been covered several times....
Depending on vehicle type, you'll find a bit of rubber tube poking off the top of your diff housing somewhere, terminating somewhere under a mudguard or similar. These are OK if you never go through more than about a foot of water. If you've had suspension raised they'll often pop off because not every fitting station lengthens them. To improve, get some strong rubber/plastic tube from Clark's rubber or similar, and run it through or along chassis rail to a point near the top of the firewall. Secure where necessary (cable ties) and ensure it can't be dislodged by stones, twigs, branches etc. Place a used in-line fuel filter at the top end and bingo: cheap, effective diff breathers. Cheers, Cruiser
AnswerID: 6477

Follow Up By: Troy - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
Re Diff Breather

I drive a Toyota, and have found an alternative method. If you take the original breather plug, remove it and replace it with a union fitting. With a good quality hose clamp, fix enough tubing to reach your desired location for the new breather and refit the breather plug. It will still work exactly the same way.

Be careful about using inline fuel filters (new ones) as they have the ability to attract moisture, which is what you are trying to avoid.

Cheers........
FollowupID: 2928

Reply By: hiluxo - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
How is it that the test conducted by 4wd Monthly some time back had the Lightforce's as excellent performers? At the end of the day in every real world test on the road Ive seen the LF's are waaaaaaay ahead in output.

I really found the article in 4x4 Australia a bit airy fairy and all over the place in its testing proceedures.

As for being tough, did anyone see the TUFF TRUCK with Mark Cheeseman rolling on his roof mounted LF lights for the second time? Yep the lights were fine! (although his roof was dented)!
AnswerID: 7050

Sponsored Links