Towing - GU Patrol 3.0TD Auto

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:11
ThreadID: 19291 Views:2499 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have a SER III GU 3.0TD Auto and have just finished a 5000km trip towing a 4m boat on a 4wd trailer. My question is should I use OD? I think a boat is not that heavy so on this trip I used the OD although around hilly areas it changed down quite frequently. For part of the trip I sat on 125kms in OD doing 2500rpm while in 3rd it would be doing 4000rpm - a little high I think for constant driving.

Another question is does the auto box have 2 stages for each gear? Often while in OD going up a hill at 110kms the engine vehicle would jump from doing 2250rpm to 2750rpm and then if necessary drop back to 3rd at just over 3000rpm.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:00
I personally wouldn't have a prob towing a big tinnie on a trailer (I assume it's a tinnie) as it doen't weighthat much. If the auto is chnging down or hunting all the time because of hills, slow down and turn the OD off. Even if you come to a hill and it doesn't change down, turn the OD off. Usually OD gears are not as stong so it pays to not load them up.
Those 2 stages you talk about is the torque converter locking up and unlocking. If you are cruising in OD and you push the foot down a little you may notice the engine RPM increase but the auto doesn't change down a gear. You push the foot down a little more and it changes back to 3rd.

Leroy
AnswerID: 92615

Reply By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:09
125KPh towing a trailer..... Don't know of anywhere in Oz that that's legal or advisable. Even in NT I beleive that trailers are limited to 100KPH (could stand corrected there)
As far as towing in OD is concerned, I've done many miles towing my camper in OD (D for Drag in the Pajero) on open, flat roads with no problems. I usually change down before hills so engine/tranny doesn't get stressed.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 92619

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:45

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:45
Even in NT I beleive that trailers are limited to 100KPH (could stand corrected there)

I actually emailed them about this once, never got a straight answer. I got more of the ' drive to the conditions' type of answer.. I posted the replies on the board here last yr..
FollowupID: 351634

Reply By: Chaz - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:16

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:16
Hi H2O

I think that the issues of towing in overdrive don't apply to the auto because you dont drive through a laygear, however heat is the biggest killer of auto gearboxes, so it is better to try to keep the converter locked while towing. This happens around 80 kph weather your in 3rd or 4th gear and it is the converter locking and unlocking that you can feel raising and lowering your revs.
I would drive using 3rd in hilly areas, but use 4th on the flat, and because your patrol has a decent trans cooler in it, you should have no trouble towing in overdrive, but always keep an eye on the trans temp light.

Chaz
http://members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/index.htm
AnswerID: 92621

Reply By: Member - Scrubba (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 13:35
H20,

Click on link below and goto the section "Trucks or Cars Towing with Automatic Overdrive Transmissions"

DRW Transmissions and Auto Care"

In summary:
"If your in OD and the trans is shifting back and forth from 3rd to OD, drop the shifter into 3 to save wear and tear on the fiction elements involved"

Cheers...
AnswerID: 92635

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:22
I asked Nissan and Toyota this question last year. They both said overheating of transmission AND engine, also wear in auto box are reasons not to do this.

Mine is pushing too hard when trying to stick to 110 when towing my camper (about a ton). I only click into O/D when overtaking at speed.

In a five speed manual, you would be doing 2750 rpm at 110 k/h. But with the auto box only 2250 rpm at 110 k/h. Just a bit too low for me (when towing). But perfect in normal touring out on the open road.

I prefer to stick to about 97 to 100 k/h and sit in 3rd when towing. Even when doing this I still use less fuel than my mate who tows his camper with 4.2 80 series cruiser, and he uses 5th gear whenever he can. Having UHF means we stay in communication, and the added bonus is he's halfway thru fuelling up when I get to the bowser. te he

Also, less chance of a speeding fine and more time to react or stop if any big furry critters jump out in front of me. Common Sense!!
AnswerID: 92654

Sponsored Links