Fitting a Boost Guage to a 3.0L TD Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:24
ThreadID: 19294 Views:2837 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Was just wondering if anyone has fitted a boost guage to their 3.0L TD Patrol.
I have looked, but can't see any where that the tubing could connect to. I would want to fit it on the engine side of the throttle body, not to the cooler pipes.
I really don't want to remove the inlet manifold to drill and tap for fittings.
Any Ideas! Thanks

Chaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kesh - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:44
G,day Chaz. I would suggest (with respect) that the turbo boost is quite capable of looking after itself. However, EGT is certainly not, especially if you are heavily laden and pulling hard up the range somewhere. I reckon high EGT's are the reason early 3.0 Patrols were holing pistons etc. Nothing to do with lack of oil.
My thought would be an EGT gauge. There is a source on this site.
the kesh
AnswerID: 92649

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:46

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:46
I DO believe a boost gauge would be good value. I WOULD fit one personally. (I have one on my TD42.)
Sure EGT as well if you are so inclined, but do not discount the value of a boost gauge.
Where does one fit it on the ZD30- sorry no idea. But knowing what boost you are getting, and at what revs, can be a very timely warning of problems, clogged filters and more.
It's a bit like the old story of the oil and temp gauge versus just a warning light.
As you are probably aware, most older diesels running on less than specified boost are more than likely running rich and therefore high EGT, although the ZD30 is probably "smart" enough to know that.
Cheers
AnswerID: 92661

Follow Up By: kesh - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:47
Sorry Flash, but have to disagree with you here. You see, a factory designed and installed turbo diesel always has a "boost compensator" on the injection pump.(some call it an "aneroid"- actually a competely different thing) No turbo pressure = no fuel boost. Simple as that.
So if you are slack enough to run with blocked air filters, the only problem you are going to see is a donk that couldn't pull a sailer off your sister. Dont believe me- well just disconnect the turbo air line to the pump compensator diaphragm and see for yourself! Of course, if its "aftermarket turbo" (as yours could be?)with no pump compensator you are in a completely different area, one I personally wouldn't venture in.
cheers the kesh
FollowupID: 351555

Follow Up By: Chaz - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:18
Thanks for your replies Guy's.
Just to sum up, I certainly will be fitting an EGT guage in the future, but as I'm leasing the car at this stage, I want to wait until I buy it before I start taking manifolds off to fit the EGT guage. I just thought that fitting the boost guage (that I already have) would allow me to keep an eye on things that may cause the EGT to rise and that fitting one was hopefully not as intrusive as to be taking things apart.(Drilling and tapping manifolds etc.)
I read somewhere that one of the problems with the early 3.0L patrols was that the ECU wasn't controlling boost as well as it should, and this would contribute to high EGT's, so keeping an eye on boost could help to keep EGT's down.
On my last turbo nissan (180sx) fitting the boost guage was simply a matter of cutting a 6mm rubber tube and inserting a tee piece to the guage, but it seems the patrol isn't going to be that simple.

Chaz
http://members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/index.htm
FollowupID: 351571

Reply By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:32
If it was me, I would remove the intercooler and weld a fitting on the header tank on the intake manifold side of the i/cooler. Failing that, remove a cross over pipe, check it has sufficient wall thickness, if it has then drill and tap to suit either a 1/8" bspt or 1/4" bspt thread and then screw in a brass fitting. While the crossover pipe is removed make sure you deburr the inside of the tube to prevent any swarf from going into the engine.
If your in Melbourne and need any fittings welded onto your intercooler and you were prepared to remove it and refit it I would be quite happy to weld on an aluminium fitting to your intercooler endtank if you wish.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 92705

Follow Up By: Chaz - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:31

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:31
Hi awill4x4,

Thanks for the offer to weld my intercooler, but i'm in Adelaide. I was hoping to tap into the engine side of the throttle body to get an accurate indication of the boost getting into the motor, but it looks like I may have to settle for the intercooler side. If that's the case, it may be easier to braize a fitting into the steal pipe that connects the turbo to the cooler or the cooler to the throttle body. I would assume the pressures would be the same as in the end tanks of the cooler. The problem I've found when doing it this way is that when you get off the throttle, the pressure suddenly rises untill the turbo spools down.
Thanks again,

Chaz
FollowupID: 351579

Sponsored Links