the outback for the ladies

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1933 Views:1799 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
How do other women out there find trvelling with their husbands? Has it made you closer? And what female items are essential to take on a 10 week trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anne - Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle, that's a very broad question! Just how far 'outback' are you going? In the ten weeks will you stay in towns,large or small, for a couple of days? More info, please!
AnswerID: 6457

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle, I'm a bloke.... so maybe I don't really know what to tell you. My wife is on night duty right now MICA Ambo. Anyway.... I reckon that we have got some of the best memories from outback travel. It has always brought out the best in her. She is feminine and pretty. She does well. The longest trip she has done with me is 6 weeks. My daughter has done a 12 week trip though as a teenager and found it fine. You might be under the mistaken misconception that all of a sudden you are different people, in the outback. You aren't. If you 'blue' at home ... you will away. You are together more.... sometimes..... so maybe more 'blues', but also more of the rest. Cleanliness etc is up to you. Unless you head way off the beaten track there are facilities up to very classy tourist spots well into the outback. And there is nothing more classy than a starry night beside a water hole on a beautiful evening. Get into it and enjoy it. Cheer Royce
AnswerID: 6461

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Michelle.....another bloke. My mate Judith has been going bush with me for the past 30 years. Marriage is a compromise. As long as I take an interest in her hobbies, she takes an interest in mine. We share the rest. We have some wonderful times out bush and some spectacular shouting matches especially when it comes to vehicle recovery. But we help each other all the way. On some desert crossings I banned washing for days and Judith says that keeping her hair clean is the most important factor out bush and carries dry shampoo ( I usually have a complete haircut before going on an extended bush trip). Warm socks and a sense of humour are also of great importance.
In areas of abundant water we are able to shower each day and that keeps our sanity on the level . Judith takes great pride in her bush cooking skills and trip preparation and we always seem to put on weight out there!!! Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 6472

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Yep, another dude, me and the wife have just done 10 weeks away, and with 2 kids.. we had a ball, just were each other, no great expectations,
forget the bleep that you may have with your partner at home, an extended trip is a new playing field, a great leveller, and you both make the rules on the way..
You will find a totally different environment, if you stay away from the hotels/motels, and have to support each other..heck, he may do things for you and vice versa that you normally wouldn't.
The unexplored places, the camping, cooking, he might let you read a map upside down and not even get agitated..you might watch him clean up camp and not give advice..its a new world out there, if you let it happen...
The places, people, outdoors living, food, wine, starry nights, heck, you should even leave the "AA" batteries at home, you both might be in the mood...lol.. go and enjoy it..no expectations..have fun..
AnswerID: 6500

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle
Sorry ...another bloke First this is a refreshing change to the forum ( no offence meant ) I reckon that if you are going 'BUSH" as in no facilities a time without a real shower or laundry...you need to be on the same wave length. If you run around for him at home it will not change in the bush ....HELL if you are an average couple who still basicly belong together go for it and enjoy

have a great time
AnswerID: 6527

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle, The ultimate male solution: If you don't get on with your own husband, try someone elses! Mal.
AnswerID: 6529

Reply By: Member - Trevor - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle – What do you mean “travelling with their husbands”? (plural) Are you crazy enough to have more than one? The essential female items the Cook takes are the credit card and gallons of that greasy stuff she rubs in her face as the water is pretty rough out there. Showers, or the lack of them are a problem so you should visit Innamincka just to see the queue and gain some appreciation for hard water. Has it made us closer? On the last trip we were particularly close even if it was to just survive the freezing temperatures of the Diamontina National Park. Getting her feet up onto the dash (how long since you’ve done that?) is no longer threatened by instant death as it helps the circulation and DVT. I also find we drive no longer than two hours for the same reason and it also helps you get out and smell the flowers and have a cuppa. Enjoy the country. Australia is a great (big) place. Trev
AnswerID: 6550

Follow Up By: Michelle - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
I thought I would let everyone know that I only have one husband (what crazy world do you think i live in? ) and that we get along fine. So i'm guessing by the replies that water for showers is pretty important to us females, but is there any other ladies that can tell me what else to bring?
FollowupID: 2943

Reply By: Michelle Jacka - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle, I'm Michelle and I write this site ... and I understand what you're trying to ask.I tend to go as lightly packed as possible. I have learnt that I don't use much and toiletries bags are bulky to pack - they never seem to have a home that is in easy reach. Try to pack everything into one bag. If you can't, you have too much. You need the basics such as toothbrush, hairbrush and face mositurisor, shampoo/conditioner (or 2 in 1), liquid shower soap and netting sponge, nail clippers and lip balm (I use blistex).You also need sunglasses, I find plastic frames hurt your face less if heavy 4WDing or bumpy corrugations.No makeup at all. It melts in the car and is a mess to remove. You wont use it.No hairdryer - unless you will plug into 240v power at a van park regularly2 shoes (hiking boots to cover the ankles with thick socks - to protect against burrs, snake bite + sandals for hot weather). What other things were you contemplating?
AnswerID: 6570

Follow Up By: Michelle - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
thanks michelle.
finally someone on the same level. those were great tips and i will use them when i'm packing thanks. just another thing though, what is a good number of cumfy summer outfits for the car? how often do you get to wash clothes? and is it worth buying clothes along the way?
thanks for all your help.
michelle.
FollowupID: 2963

Reply By: Michelle Jacka - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle,Because your trip is only 10weeks I think you'll be fine with clothes from home. However a tip for summer is: shorts that fit on "fat days", sitting for prolong periods means tightness around legs and waist can be uncomfortable. I would suggest one pair of denium shorts that are comfortable - loose! I have noticed that we put on a few kgs when we travel (as someone else said, we eat more when we're travelling). I also suggest a short length sarong style wrap skirt (the ones with ties and darts). They are invaluabe - find at any Indian style hippy market/shop. Plus cheesecloth or cotton type long pants - maybe you will be in Cape York/Kimberlies/any Coastline - where mossies at evening can be a problem. Toss in a matching long sleeve but very lightweight shirt and this can double as a cossie cover-up/nightie etc. In terms of buying clothes when travelling - Darwin markets (Mindal Beach) and Karratha shopping centre are good places for travellers to pick up clothes but you shouldn't really need to. I found how many towels a problem to get right. Mind you, our very first trip big trip was 2 yrs so there wasn't much time to get it right! We sent home 2 bags of clothes and the second set of towels. You only need one set. Make do for the beach what you use in the shower. You'll just have to cope. Any more is excess! Regularity of clothes washing depends on your access to caravan parks - each will have coin operated ($2.20 or so per load) machines. I take my own washing powder in table form but at home I would normally use liquid. I buy the (expensive) over-packaged individually wrapped tablets of 12-24... Omo etc. These last the trip and you have no problem storing what's not used. So what if the tablets crush - they're still sealed in the individual bags!I also take one bar of regular sunlight soap and a tub of napisan for hand washing when bush camping and washing is necessary. I have a baby (now 2yrs however, so not such a baby), but bibs and carsickness have been a constant mess to contend with and the napisan has been useful. It needs less rinsing so is water-wise. At one time I used to use a bucket with a lid and put my washing in with detergent and a stone! The motion of the car and the stone did the washing during the day and we hung it out at camp. The biggest thing to remmeber is PEGS and a good length of line. I also should mention hand-soap - you have no idea how dirty your hands will become and if you are the main cook then hand washing is important. I take pump liquid soaps as you would use at home. You are always rubbing up against the car and handling stuff off the roof rack etc and packing up tents etc so its all dirty, dusty work. Before the baby I never used to use WetOnes but now I do, and I don't know how I lived without them on a trip. Very handy, and easyily stored in your rubbish bag. We take a vinyl lined draw-string laundry bag for our rubbish and firstly wrap everything in a regular plastic shopping bag (take one of those drawstring plastic bag holders for this use) and then bag them up and drop them into the main laundry bag and put it on the roof rack until you reach the nearest town tip. Well - I could really go on for ever - pls ask if there is anything specific more - I am only too happy to answer your qns. Best of luck.
AnswerID: 6604

Reply By: tkd - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle, I love the time I get to spend with my husband out back
he does all the cooking for a start
one item I have found useful for long trips where you need to bring out your rubbish is in the baby section at the supermarket they are fragrant bags for disposing of dirty nappies, or other more feminine items.
they are cheap and not see through.
there is nothing worse than finding female sanitary items not disposed of properly in the bush, or any where else for that matter.

the other essential for our family is again in the baby section - wet ones we use them daily for washing hands, faces etc especially when water is scarce. They can even substitute for a bird bath if needed.

happy camping
AnswerID: 7419

Sponsored Links