Stainless Snorkel

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 15:56
ThreadID: 19330 Views:3958 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at making my own snorkel out of 3” stainless tube. It’s for a 2000 DualCab Hilux. It would run nearly the full length of the guard before going straight through to the air filter, this should eliminate 2 90 degree bends and hopefully give better airflow. The only problem I can come up with would be the supports for the whole thing. One would be up beside the windscreen as per airtec/safari and the other on the inner guard where it goes through to the air filter/box. Any opinions on whether this would be enough support for the extra weight of the stainless tube. Keeping in mind cape york corrugations.

All opinions welcome.
Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SteveW - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:10

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:10
G'day DiesAl,

I'm not sure on the mounts but i gotta say its gonna be one shiny bugger, hope it doesnt shine in your or your passengers eyes... have you thought about doing it in pvc pipe and just painting it black? nice and light and probably cheaper than stainless..

goodluck

steve
AnswerID: 92832

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:11

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:11
I would personally doubt it.The safari on my GQ has 2 other supports on the inner guard that hold it in place, it also goes the length of the guard.

for the cape you would want more, it would suck to get 1/2 way and the top windscreen mount snap and all fall down.
AnswerID: 92833

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:21

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:21
When i got back from Cape York all of the nyloc nuts which hold the snorkel into place on the inside of the guard were loose enough to make it rattle on the guard and polish the duco off.... You CANNOT EVER make ½ an attempt at securing anything if you are going to Cape York, Gibb River, Simpson etc etc...
Recipe for disaster if you do... It needs to be secured all the way along... Just TIG some stainless studs onto it...
AnswerID: 92834

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:51

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 16:51
Gotta agree with Voxson here. Once you drill a bloody great hole in the side of the guard for the air intake to go through, the guard is buggared anyway, so why not place one long (right angle iron/stainless) all the way along the guard under the snorkel as a support. Bolt it through the guard with plenty of large washers on the inside to spread the weight...too easy.
Good luck....
FollowupID: 351768

Follow Up By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 17:59

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 17:59
With a bit of silicon under it as well would help. You would not believe how that stuff will glue steel together(clean steel that is).

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
FollowupID: 351788

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:46

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:46
Silicon oh bloody magical silicon!!! Love the stuff, who needs a welder when you have silicon!! LOL

It's amazing what silicon will do, better than nylox. Just smear it all over your bolts and not only does it have some give while locking the nuts on it also stops the buggers from rusting! My UHF Speaker's mounts snapped in my old truck, so when I moved it into the surf I justbleepthe bracket off all together and siliconed the speaker to the console! Been there ever since! ;-) My TX3000 CB is wedged between the passenger seat and the centre console, no bracket, no screws just silicon, never ever ever buges. I had to take it out to get to some wireing once, I just gave it a long hard yank and the silicon ripped away, put some more on it when finished and it's firm as again.
FollowupID: 351797

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:22

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:22
DiesAL

I have seen just what you describe in Melbourne on a few JEEP Renegades and early model SWB Toyota's .

They looked really neat jobs and from memory didn't have have a whole lot of supporting bracket paraphenalia outside the guard or on the windscreen pillar.

No! I haven't got a clue as to how they were supported/fixed.

The thing that did catch my attention though was that the hole cut in the guard was substantially bigger that the 'snorkel tube' and edge of the hole was covered in a grommet like material.

You could actually see about a 10mm gap all round between the 'snorkel tube' and the guard.

I assumed that this was to allow for movement caused by engine torque/movement etc.

They looked really special and caught the eye. Have no idea how effective or efficient they were.

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 92898

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 00:29

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 00:29
Airtec & Safari have designed snorkels that look good & are matched to the air intake needs of the motor as well as minimising induction noise. What advantage do you hope to gain with the 3" tube? Does the Lux have a V8 motor transplant?
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 92910

Reply By: DiesAl - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:00

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:00
Thanks all for the replies. Think I might have to go with Voxsons's idea of studs all the way along. Was just flipping through the June 2004 Aust 4wd monthly this weekend and low and behold GQ Trayback with twin snorkel's out of mild steel looks good.....damn still can't see how it's fixed to the vehicle.
AnswerID: 93604

Sponsored Links