80 series problem I think front diff

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 20:55
ThreadID: 19335 Views:6744 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all my new 80 series seems to have a couple of small problems I hope. I have a clunk in the drive train somewhere. I think its the front diff. It happens when you let the clutch out quickly you get a clunk and a jerk in the driveline it also happens well you take your foot of the accerator and the put the foot down quickly again this happening when cold or warm. Checked the front drive sharft there is a quarter of a turn of play in the front diff. Can anyone help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greghud - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:04
may be to obvious but did u check the uni joints they could be floged?
how many k's
AnswerID: 92873

Reply By: Patroleum - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:11

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:11
Tim.

Sound correct.
I have a 94 petrol GXL that is the same, The front diff gives the most backlash. If you rebuild the front diff the clunkiness will reduce but not totally. Being constant 4wd the total backlash comes from: Front CV's, front diff, Driveshaft splines?Uni's, Transfer case, gearbox and rear diff. When this is all added up the backlash is quite a lot.
Some people have converted back to 2wd and naturally this makes quite a difference.

All The Best
Greg
AnswerID: 92874

Reply By: locallaw - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:32

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 21:32
Gidday Tim,
I have just finished (today)assembling my front axle assembly.The diff had no problems but I had to replace both c/v joints and hub adaptor,all seals and w/bearings.It is a simple job to do and the difference is outstanding.You wont remove all the slack in the system but it is a big improvement.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 92877

Reply By: Member - Karl - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 13:31

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 13:31
Tim,

A 1/4 of a turn is too much on your front drive shaft. It should be no more than 1/8 at the most. I think you will find that your diff and axels may be on the way out. With that much movement it means the splines on the axels and in the diff have worn away (to a point - instead of being flat on top) giving too much play. If this is the case it will require the diff (which is a Hilux diff) and axels being replaced.

I know this because mine had too be done in Oct 04, cost me about $2000 all up - it had to be done. The back lash has improved, but with the constant 4WD it will always be there so I am saving up to fit on of the part time kits.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
AnswerID: 93034

Reply By: 80scruiser - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:46

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 21:46
When the dampers in my clutch wore out I had heaps of backlash and a bang on starting. Put a new genuine clutch in a much better.
Check the C.V joints by turning full lock one way and accellerating then the opposite way. If you hear clicking noise they are buggered. Replace them with new joints not reco ones as they have a fair bit of stress on them.
I think a 1/4 of a turn on the front pinion is not to bad.
AnswerID: 93141

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:30

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:30
Hi
As above, when you consider that there are drive flanges that wear and cv's aswell, pus 80's are renowned for this too.....its a case of wait till you get oil coming from the diff and then work on it....keep the grease into the c/v's via the 14mm plugs on the back...
Use Moly (Lithium base)
Andrew
AnswerID: 93314

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 13:04

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 13:04
Tim,

Always take an interest in any posts about 80 series, as we have a 97 model with 243K clicks on it.

Today i got underneath, and checked freeplay in front driveshaft, and it is less than an 1/8 of turn. While ours is a bush vehicle, much of its life has been on long trips, usually with cruise control doing the work. Rarely do much city driving, reckon that would be the place to increase wear in splines etc.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93393

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 16:51

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 16:51
well had toyota look at the vechile and they tell me its okay they think most of the clunk is in the play in the gear box but the front diff pinion seal needs replacing so I am getting it done this week. So my therory is drive now untill it breaks then fix it.
FollowupID: 352412

Sponsored Links