Allianz insurance - suspension confusion...

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:31
ThreadID: 19352 Views:3023 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I just got an online quote from Allianz Insurance for our fouby. It's a very comprehensive form that you fill out - and for once it had lots of 4WD-specific questions in regards to accessories and such. In the accessories list, these was an entry called "Country-Pack Suspension", to which I answered "Yes" as I have an OME kit fitted that doesn't raise the car by any more than 15mm over standard, but gives me greater load-carrying capacity in the stiffer springs and shocks.

Further down the form, there was a separate question that asked if the suspension is "modified". I answered "yes" because of the first question in regards to the Country-Pack and then asked the system to produce a quote on the supplied spec.

I was REFUSED as I had "modified" suspension!!!!

I went back and un-checked the "modified" option and all was OK after that.

I'm confused here - why would they give you the option of the "Country-Pack Suspension" which is OK by them if you don't say it's been "modified"? What gives? Are they suggesting that "modified" suspension consists of altered geometry (springs longer than, say, 110% over standard and spring spacers) and that a heavier-riding set of OME's is OK?

Anyone had a straight answer from them?

Cheers
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:26

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:26
Chris,

This could mean that the factory who built the vehicle has a option what suspension they put in it from the factory , an factory fitted option.

When I insured the Troopie I went and spoke to the girl at the insurance company face to face and spent about sorting out all the extras that I have including the suspension. I told her that it was a heavy duty kit and why I have it and that was fine, and she also noted on the policy.

I think that there is a lot to be said about talking to some one face to face rather then a screen.

Wayne
AnswerID: 92942

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:41

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:41
Hi Wayne,

Always the best way, the problem with online is that you cannot elaborate your answer, therefore if it goes outside the black-box they normally refuse and ask you to contact them direct.

Trust all is well.

Regards
Baz,Janet, Thomas
FollowupID: 351903

Reply By: David Au - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:49

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:49
Consider perhaps that you have been *MOST FORTUNATE* being refused insurance by Allianz Insurance - my worst nightmares were over this so called insurance company. I have met so many that are disgusted with Allianz Insurance.
They have done you a favour refusing you.
AnswerID: 92945

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:48
Do you wish to elaborate...at least in your case?

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 351927

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:00

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:00
You will get stories like this from EVERY insurance company.. EG AAMI..

Try Unique car insurance, Just car insurance, or even TCIS...
FollowupID: 351935

Follow Up By: firestang - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:09

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:09
While looking for insurance for the new car i found that one of my wifes freinds works for Allianz ,great i thought we will get looked after pfftt not likely . Even her familly insures with someone else ,she says however they are good for house insurance but very expensive for cars.
FollowupID: 351939

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:11

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:11
Truckster - absolutely you will. There is no such thing as 100% performance (in the view of the policy holder) in every case... there are just too many variables.

In regards to TCIS - a mate of mine drowned his 60-series up at Stockton (in the lake) which was a dumb thing to do, and TCIS would NOT come to the party - and only offered him 50% of the replacement cost of the engine with an OLD engine. Not very good - he had to go and buy a pranged 60-series and we did the engine swap ourselves - and only then would TCIS pay up the 50% of the ESTIMATED worth of the donor engine. Duh.

Also, I applied for a quote online with TCIS and they never came back to me with an emailed response (as the site promises). I called them to find out why and they told me that they hadn't even seen the request! This was a full day later! Their response was just dumb...."uhhmm.... dunno what happened.... do you want a quote mate?" I told themI'd be going to someone at least the slightest bit professional.
FollowupID: 351940

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:15

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 16:15
Hi Chris,

Some negative experiences with Allianz above. Our experience is different. We have both my wife's car and the Patrol with Allianz. They have had no objections to my modifications, which are listed on the policy document (incl 2" lift).

Baz seems to have been treated well by them with his drowned Explorer too - though I guess still waiting on the market value pay out figure.

As Truckster say - there'll always be good and bad stories. I suppose if they were all bad then these guys wouldn't be in business.

Hugh
AnswerID: 93073

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:01

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:01
The first time I got booted for modified suspension, did it again with no mods but a few extras and I got this:

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you insurance for the following reason(s):
Allianz Cannot offer you a quote as your Vehicle and accessories exceed our sum insured limits. All details for this quote will be discarded.

and I only $4000 declared worth of accessories
AnswerID: 93079

Follow Up By: Fletcha - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:08

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 17:08
To modify suspension away from factory tested design is to compromise saftey of vehicle. The insurers have no way of testing if this compromises handling etc of your vehicle and thus affecting safety .

It is not something the insurers want to get into and I don't really blame them.

Would you put your money up to cover some guy you have never met who has modified his suspension and you have no way of checking if the vehicle is still safe ?

Think about it guys.
FollowupID: 352080

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 18:11

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 18:11
As long as the mods fall within the ADR's and state regs yeah I'd cover him. There is usually an unroadworthy escape clause isn't there ?
FollowupID: 352085

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 16:31

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 16:31
Fletcha,
to use the vehicle at its GVM, in standard confidguration on most models of 4wd will certainly effect vehicle reliability, and compromise safety and handling, as the factory suspension is there to be a compromise.

I think suspension has beeen worked on by enough clever people by now, and on sale by enough corporations, to have some trust in this market by default.

I think you will find isurance companies are using such questions to refuse certain demographics who, by nature of the use alone, are a greater risk, rather than because of the risk from the particular equipment alone.
FollowupID: 352244

Sponsored Links