Crankshaft, Devcon and Welding... Maybe this time

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 19:48
ThreadID: 19409 Views:2824 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

I posted a while back about my atempts to repair a Landcruiser crankshaft keyway with devcon and appeciated the help and advice so I thought I'd fill you in on where its at. The devcon was a dismal failure on the two attempts I had at it. Don't go there!

With nothing to lose we had a crack at welding the crank today. At first we were going to weld the key in place, but then decided to try and build up the crank so the key could still be removed.

It involved laying some weld along the damaged key way, grinding back, more weld, more grind and finishing off with a dremel.

The final result was really pleasing. I think we may have done it...

The key slotted in snugly, the balancer went back on and with loctite everywhere it will hopefully not need to come off for quite a while.

If you are interested in pics then you can see them here on my blog.

http://backyardmissionary.typepad.com/backyardmissionary/2005/01/maybe_this_time.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:44

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:44
Good news Hamo, this should see you terrorising communities in the Cruiser again, its good to hear the finish of what was an interesting tale, good website too mate!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93300

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:10

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:10
How did you get the bolt to the 300 odd foot pounds it is required to be set at?
If you didnt, i would strongly advise you make a balancer holder and get it torqued....i have heard many stories of these coming loose mainly because the right tension couldnt be reached without a great deal of work....there is no other way totension it than making a spanner...
Someone i know had the key fall into the timing gears, which cost him a new motor.
Andrew
AnswerID: 93304

Reply By: andrewhamilton - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:30

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 23:30
I didn't.

And yes, it was difficult to get it tightened up.

Hopefully it'll work, but now I'll be keepng an eye on it. If all esle fails I guess we'll tack a bit of weld onto the end of the crank and hold it there that way!
AnswerID: 93325

Sponsored Links