Roof Load Limits

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:01
ThreadID: 19413 Views:6093 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day to all,

Well i guess everyone survived X-mas and New Year unscathed,hope all hade a safe and happy one.Just a qwik question in regards to the roof load limit on a troopy .
I have just rigged up the Rhino Rack Heavy Duty 3 bar system (the 3 bar heavy duty legs are 100kg rated a set) and would like to know the maximum load able to work with(obviously lighter the better)as I know the rack leg limits are in no way indicitive of your roof load limits.As I am a trades person the old racks may well cop a hiding.Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:10

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 22:10
Could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that most 4x4s with proper gutters can take a gross roof load of around 200kg, provided the rack has full-length supports. I would imagine the Rhino bars would be individual as far as their attachment to the roof gutter is concerned, therefore the load would be concentrated on those 6 short lengths of gutter. That would mean you would be limited to something less than 100kg all up, provided it was equally spread over the 3 bars.
JMHO; suggest you consult Rhino &/or toyota.
AnswerID: 93305

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:07

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:07
I was driving on a bitumen highway around bunya mountains area and i didnt see the speed caution sign (80klms hr) . This was on a 100 klm per hr section . The troopy was not going to make it around that corner at that speed (100 kls) . I had to hit the brakes to slow down . In all honestly if i had of had the foof rack loaded up i would have rolled it . Scared the s#!^ out of me .
AnswerID: 93357

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:45

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:45
Glenno,
You raise a very valid point and one I should have mentioned.......centre of gravity........
Although I have a full-length ARB rack with full length gutter mount, there is no way I would (for example) chuck a 100 litre drum of fuel up there!!!! (I'm assuming that such a payload, including the drum itself) + the weight of the rack, would be around 200kg.
The rack is reserved for tents, sleeping bags and fold up chairs etc. I used to carry my 2nd spare up there too before i got the dual spare wheel carrier.
FollowupID: 352350

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:49

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:49
What about the weight of the roof rack itself ?
FollowupID: 352351

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:56

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:56
Is it better to keep both fuel tanks and water tank (underneath the vehicle) topped up to lower the center of gravity ? 180 lts of fuel & 70lts of water .
FollowupID: 352354

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:14

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:14
I met an old bloke along a track into the Bungle Bungles in 1987. He was a white as sheet and was trembling because part of this old track was tilted ever so slightly and he was driving along when his Troopy toppled over. As luck would have it there was a handy tree at that particular junction and the Troopy leaned up against it. He was able to rescue the situation from there as the track levelled out. I asked him what was in the tank on the roof and he replied "250 litres of diesel,mate"........"Well theres your answer" I replied, "You have raised the centre of gravity of your truck". He gave me a blank look.

I have carried 120lts and spare wheel on the roof rack which equates to about 160kgs. The Nissan is pretty low on the ground with a wide wheelbase so it can handle it but I prefer not to do it. Now I carry that fuel inside the vehicle(cannot afford a $1000 LR Tank or I need to meet a friendly bank manager) in jerries. I am also dispensing with a full wheel as an extra spare and carry a casing only.
FollowupID: 352356

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 00:34

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 00:34
Troopy total roof load limit is 150 kg's.

This much weight on any 4wd will alter it's handling dramatically.
Note the previous advice about loading any roof rack with to much weight and the potential consequences.

I only stick a tent and a few other light items on the roof of my Troopy.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93502

Sponsored Links