Otways

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 18:35
ThreadID: 19441 Views:2877 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Going for a quick trip down the otways next weekend and just wondering if any one can suggest some kick arse tracks. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:33

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:33
Cooper, you should ask Bonz, he knows tracks that take a day or more to get out of..... Ask him to explain that, he says I get bogged.
AnswerID: 93479

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:43

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:43
and who dug you out??? Showing his empathy for a fellow boggee?

All I can say is dont try Marriners Ridge track, unless you're in something with tracks, like a dozer.

a good one to do is the Fork Paddocks track runs from forest-apollo bay rd to kangalang track across the back of the west barwon dam.... it is a brilliant track, best in the otways (i think) two great creek crossings and some nice hills....
38 35.0825 s
143 42.1944 e

that is the start of it....

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 352470

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 23:50

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 23:50
That track has been closed for some time, and had 200 pine trees dropped on it in the pine plantation, I know how many, because I cleared 60% of them afterward 8-)

Oregon track is a ripper, as well as the short cut to sayers from the back of stephonsons falls,a nd the 45's which are first track to left after bridge track on pt roadknight road are also good.
FollowupID: 352480

Reply By: zac_sprint - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:33

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:33
There are a million and one places to see and things to do down there and some very good camping spots in both NPs and Logging areas. The Aire Valley track (Nth of The Great Ocean Rd), leads you through the Otways+some excelllent camp spots along the creek, but there are many other tracks that take you to waterfalls and other very nice spots. South of the Ocean Rd there are many tracks and campsites along the coast and very good fishing.

I recommend purchasing a detailed topographical map from a map centre (they cost around $10)- there's one in the city in Lt Bourke (I think it's still there), and another near the corner of Waverley and Warrigul Road, Chadstone, opposite the Red Rooter.

These maps contain all the details you need, including tourist destinations, shipwrecks etc, etc... Note that a number of tracks in the Otways NP are Management Vehicles and only accessible by foot.
AnswerID: 93480

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:46

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 22:46
A good one to do is the Fork Paddocks track runs from forest-apollo bay rd to kangalang track across the back of the west barwon dam.... it is a brilliant track, best in the otways (i think) two great creek crossings and some nice hills....
38 35.0825 s
143 42.1944 e

that is the start of it....

Where the end of it is is anyones guess
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93485

Reply By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:19

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:19
I agree with zac

We had a go at the track south from Aire Valley between Xmas and New Years weekend. It had been hailing for most of the previous day and was still raining on and off, so the track was a bit on the thick side, and kicked us off the hill 3 or 4 times, but I would love to give it a go with a little bit less wet stuff around, must admit it was the first run for my Wrangler MTR's and they worked a treat until they were in the air by about a foot with our belly sitting in the glue. Give it a go, nice camping spots as Zac mentioned.
AnswerID: 93509

Reply By: Bogged Again - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:33

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:33
The start of the fork paddocks track is impassable by all - except for those on a dirtbike. The track entrance is located just off the main Forest-Apollo Bay Rd. Last time I was in that region the track had been well and truely closed to vehicles.

I do agree that there are brilliant tracks and all you need is the excellent quality Otways 1:100,000 map.

There is excellent camping down by Stevenson Falls, which could serve as a base for jaunts into the bush.

Cheers,
Bogged Again.

AnswerID: 93531

Sponsored Links