jackaroo diesel

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1951 Views:1846 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
OK I still have a problem with my 1990 Turbo Diesel Jackaroo.
My machanic has given me the ...don't ring us we will ring you .. Before I go else were I would like any input from the forum..

I have a problem with 'cold start' There is no power to the glowplugs ..but if I disconnect the single lead from one of the 2 sensors on top of the thermo housing I get power to the glow plugs for about 12 to 15 seconds .. and the engine starts alot better and without the ball of white smoke...?????????

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00
I'll be up front with this .... I am guessing!!! However the sensors you are unplugging, maybe faulty. It could be that this sensor is supposed to be in an "open" state when cold, thereby cutting any flow of electricity. This is what you are replicating when you disconnect it. It then closes as the engine warms up, allowing electric flow. I have seen Haynes workshop manuals for this model Jackaroo (not sure about diesel though) at various auto book stores. Might be worth investing in one.
AnswerID: 6540

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00
Brian.
The tempreture sensor is a device called a thermistor, its electrical resistance gets lower as the temperature rises. Yours has probably vibrated to death and gone short cct. You can test it by measuring its resistance hot and cold. The diference in resistance should be 10/1 ie 1000 ohms becomes 100 ohms.
Eric.
AnswerID: 6551

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Guys
I will have a look for the manual when I go to 'the big smoke' next week
as for the sensors ..I had one looked at by a 'sparky freind' he reckons it reads ' milli/ volts the other which is also identical to the rodeo ( the single wire ) will be the one I will test for resistance. I can always pick up one from a rodeo to compare before spending the $100 per sensor

It is also possible that the ( double wire sensor ) controls another area of cold start such as fuel heater

Thanks

Brian
FollowupID: 2956

Reply By: vundie_01 - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
hi there i ran a trip aug 10 the sept 10 doing the canning and the top of wa. there was 3 nissan patrol with total of 5 people i was the only one in my 3lt patrol. I did not have a roof rack and I was running 285/75/16 tyres. I had full tanks of 127 litres and 130 litres in the cab. I also had 60 litres of water, a fridge and food for three weeks when leaving Wiluna.

By the time I was at the fuel dump (well 23) I had a quarter of a tank left. I shared a 44 gallon drum with another car and I used about 90 -95 litres to get that far. A 2.8 GU Patrol with two people inside usec about 120 litres to get that far.

I used the 130 litres in the car to get to Halls creek but only needed another 24 litres at Halls Creek to fill up both tanks.

From Perth, doing the Canning Stock Route and the top end I did 7000 km and averaged 8 km per litre.

To arrange fuel to be dropped at well 23 you had to contact Capricorn Road House about 8 weeks in advance. To obtain fuel at well 33 (the aboriginal community) you may need to call them in advance, as they are not open 24/7. There is also a phone at the community so that you can phone home from there.

Hope that this will help - if you need more information, let me know.
AnswerID: 8374

Sponsored Links