Cargo Barrier and Baby Capsule

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:06
ThreadID: 19519 Views:4019 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

I have a 1992 GQ patrol, and I'm looking at having a cargo barrier installed. My wife is due to have our first baby this week, and we had a baby capsule installed. We would like to put in a cargo barrier now to ensure that prams, toys etc do not become projectiles in a crash . (Besides I've wanted one for a while anyhow).

Do people know if they make cargo barriers with gaps/holes for the strap that anchors in the capsule? Also, does anyonbe know what would be the best place to get this done for a reasonable price in Adelaide?

Cheers

Jono
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:14

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:14
johhnoc
all the barriers ive seen have slots for above purpose
if in doubt ring up installer and ask them or if buying second hand ask seller
think youl find most do have slots
AnswerID: 93564

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:36

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:36
G'day,

at least Milford make them with slots left and right for anchor straps. Get the yellow pages out and confirm on the phone but you should have no probs.
AnswerID: 93568

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:03

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:03
As other have said all new barriers have provision for capsule straps. Try sunshade products on Main North Road 82606433
AnswerID: 93573

Reply By: RichieK - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:00

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:00
Hi Jonno

The Milford barrier I had put in my Prado had 3 slots so we can put the caspule/baby seat anywhere - top marks!

Hope the birth of your little one is all smooth sailing - our next one (no 3) due in March and if anyone's interested, it's my 40th B'day today!! Time for a drink I think....

Rich
AnswerID: 93585

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:33

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 15:33
Happy 40th Rich! Enjoy your day/night.
Best wishes to you and family for no.3.baby too, March will come around quick! We have 3 kids, and thats it!! Wouldn't be able to put any more in the cruiser anyway with all the toys Andrew has!!

Jen
FollowupID: 352599

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:27

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 13:27
Jono,
I think you'll find the GQ does not have a central anchor point for a capsule. I got arounf this by placing a bar horizontally across the cargo barrier (behind it, in the cargo area) at the right height to anchor the capsule to. I held the bar in place with a couple of smallish bolts (they didn't take any of the potential load of the baby/capsule in a collision). I got it checked out by a proper installer who checked that the barrier itself was properly anchored to the vehicle. The steel bar was long enough to go across between 2 of the barrier's uprights.
I must admit, I always felt a bit "off" about having it set-up like that and am glad that our capsule days are now over....
AnswerID: 93589

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:44
"glad that our capsule days are now over"

Fair dinkum Roachie,
and what about all the sultanas, biscuit bits and martian rocks you find under them when you take them out! Ye Gods!

FollowupID: 352685

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:22
Yes, I do find lots of rocks and railway track dog spikes under the seats etc after our trips. But they are usually collected by SWMBO...not the kids!!!!
An example of this was our Cape York trip in Sept/Oct. On the 1st day of a 33 day trip, Annette got me to stop beside the old Ghan line up near Leigh Creek way. She and my boys got out and spent half an hour collecting about 30 of those dog spikes! We carted the bloody things all the way to the tip of Aust and back again. We came back along that same stretch of road, so we could've stopped on the way home and picked em up. They'd have to be some of the world's most well travelled dog spikes!!!
FollowupID: 352886

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:08

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:08
My wife's work car (a BA Falcon Wagon). It has a metal stock box and a cargo barrier. The Barrier does not have any holes in it so I have just been clipping the clip onto the barrier, I mean it's mounted more solid that most baby points I've seen anyway!

And even though it's supposedly "dodgey" I put my own point in the surf (as it is an import and did not have one. When I built my storage box (mounted with no less than 8 bolts and wedged in behind the back seats (flush on an angle) with patio style brackets I thought that it's gotta be stronger than any friggin parcel shelf in a sedan and mounted my baby point to the box with stainless bolts and big ass mud guard washers.
The seat fits HEAPS better than it the sedans and the straps are actually free instead of pushing up against the seat and headrests etc.
AnswerID: 93614

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:44

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:44
Not sure what sort of barrier you have but I do know that Milford SPECIFICALLY state NOT to attch seat belt or baby capsule attachmenst to their barrier. Even if it isnt a Milford barrier I wouldnt rely on it to attach any part of a seat or baby capsule
FollowupID: 352610

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:57

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:57
Of course it says that!

1. It's against ADR.
2. Why would they want to open their selves up for liability?!
FollowupID: 352611

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:57

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:57
Ditto to what Kiwi Angler posted. Would hate to find out the hard way that something went wrong.
FollowupID: 352612

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:04

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:04
Jeff M

Your point #2 " Why would they want to open their selves up for liability?!" mistifies me.

Forget about liabilty apply some plain old common sense. Have you not seen footage of baby capsules that are incorrectly attached flying through windscreens! And these are ones that are attached (albiet incorrectly) to the chassis of the car. Surely the outcome of a similar accident with the capsule anchored to a cargo barrier is a no brainer!
Their conditions are to ensure no 'sensible' thinking person would attach to the barrier not as some 'cover my arse in case' as your point #2 implies.

As to point#1 I am not familiar with the ADR reference.
FollowupID: 352615

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:13
Cargo barrier. Rated to 150kg. Babey and Capsual total weight 5kgs. Do the math.
Not only that but the seatbelt is also looped through to capsual on top of that.
Cargo barier bolted to chais is several places. Sedan style baby point bolted through thin peice of metal reinforcing chipboard parcel shelf.

I know which one I would prefer.

The factory child restraint in the falcon is friggin plastic for christ sake! Not only that but it is not accessable while storage box is fitted. It is fixed to the back of the seat.
You may imply that I am not a sensible person, that's your opinion, personally I would take no risk in my childs life and feel that it is offering her as much protection as possible. There is no cargo in the behind the barrier it is installed purley as security to prevent access to the cargo from the front of the car. The Cargo is locked away in a metal storage box. If we were in an accident so severe that a 5kg baby was to pull the cargo barrier out I don't think anyone would be around to know about it.
FollowupID: 352616

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:41
Jeff,
I'm with you on this one.....as I said above, I attached ours to the cargo barrier, albeit also using a length of steel bar (about 30mm wide x 3mm thick x length being distance between the 2 central uprights, about 18")........(nb: sorry for mixing metric and imperial).

The weight of the potential load is spread between the 2 central uprights at around the height of the top of the back seat.

However Jeff, I would also caution you against believing the weight of your baby + capsule is only 5kg in a collision. I remember reading somewhere that the weight of a child being nursed in the front seat of a car on mum's lap is about equal to the family fridge in a sudden impact!! They were saying that in response to the belief, years ago, that a child could safely sit on mum's lap with arms securing the baby. I've never put it to the test and wouldn't want to try.
FollowupID: 352665

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:57

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:57
Absolutally Roachie, but that extra force (creating to effect of being heavier) has already been calculated in the 150kg rating. Otherwise you would only be able to put 15kg behind the cargo barrier rendering it pretty bloody usless! LOL

Yeah I should look at reinforcing where it is attached, but it is seldom used for the child seat, normally the kids are in the Surf, it's just the surf is on blocks at the moment while I change belts, hoses and brake pads.
FollowupID: 352736

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:12

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:12
We had 88 gq and had to have a special bar attached for a baby capsule ($500) I dont know if nissan changed the design because capsules were not standard then in 1988. The cargo barrier would fit behind it, but you cannot use the 'dicky seats' in the back. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 93701

Reply By: JonnoC - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:02
Thanks All,

I appreciate your advice/comments/debate. This forum is an absolute beauty. You get good advice AND varied opinions, which is much better than just talking to a single person.

I spoke to SunSHade products yesterday and they can fit me a Baby Capsule friendly cargo barrier for a good price. The GQ has two anchor points for the middle seats. They are located on the rear floor pan behind the two head rests. There is no anchor point in the middle. I had the capsule placed behind the rear passenger seat as both my wife and I are pretty short. Because of this it doesn't matter too much to us that he pfront passenger seat is forward, and also my wife doesn't have to climb into the car to get the baby out (I have a two inch lift).

Once again thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. I can feel a membership coming up!!

Cheers

Jono
AnswerID: 93735

Follow Up By: CruiserHead - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:21

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:21
Have a look here, also. $229 for a barrier in Adelaide. How much are Sunsheade asking? Just curious, I am looking for one (even 2nd hand) in Adelaide for a 60 series.

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/gfx/specials_26_right.pdf

Cheers,
CH
FollowupID: 352724

Follow Up By: JonnoC - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:28
CruiserHead,

I'm getting one supplied and fitted for about $500. This is a milforf cargo barrier (which as I understand it are one of the best) and includes the installation of the small plastic windows for the capsule/child restraint straps to go through.

ANother quote I got (also for a milford) from a different mob was over $600 fitted, so it would seem that prices vary fairly significantly.

There have been some pretty cheap second hand jobs floating around, however you have to find one that foits your vehicle, and it would pay to get it installed by a pro.

Good lucj and thanks for the advice.

Jono
FollowupID: 352725

Sponsored Links