Driving a diesel......

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:47
ThreadID: 19535 Views:2482 Replies:12 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Just had my diesel engine rebuilt. Goes great now.
When I asked the diesel bloke how I should run it in, he said "drive it like its stolen!".
Apparently diesels love load. idling is no good for it.

I have heard this before, but now I"ve heard it from a reliable source {i hope}.

Any way just thought this might be an interesting point to bring up.

James.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:55

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:55
How much did you spend on rebuilding it? Maybe he's chasing some more work...
I've heard that excessive idling is supposed to glaze the cylinders or some crap too. I've had two diesels now and personally I rather leave them idling for 10 minutes than stop let it cool down and start again.

As far as liking load, well any motor likes to have a little load, a nice long run some fresh air does them wonders, as far as "driving it like you stole it" I think not.
That to me implies over reving, hurting your clutch and gearbox and using ableepload of fuel that is going to cost you money in the end.

Hey maybe your gearbox is a little on the dogey side and he reckons he might be able to get you back for a rebuild on that in a few weeks.

As far as I was aware diesels like sitting about half way in the rev range with a little load (ie the weight of the car) and just working away steady as she goes style. Not rallying around the subrubs to pickup your next carton from the bottlo. That's why large boats and trucks use deisel, nice consistant low down power for cruising while being fuel efficiant and reliable.
AnswerID: 93633

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:56

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 17:56
If you have the manuell for it it will have the running in instructions in there. I have read the Toyota instructions. The mechanic may do a few dozen a year but Toyota make a few million.
AnswerID: 93634

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:06

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:06
drive it like you stole it.
or drive it like its a hire car
AnswerID: 93653

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 06:54

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 06:54
Amazing things hire 4wds they any where.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 352680

Reply By: Vinnie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:12
Been told a similar tale by a well known local 4X store owner, " Drive it like you hate it"

Personally I don,t hate it so I drive it user friendly!!!

Vinnie
AnswerID: 93664

Reply By: greghud - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:21

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:21
dunno bout like u stole it but it will need to run thru the rev range also some load and lite running is good but dont sit at one speed for to long up and down the revs is good. i love my hilux and would NEVER drive it like i stole it. think about the very statement it just sounds stupid?
treat the car with respect and it will last 4 eva
all the best with it, greg
AnswerID: 93666

Reply By: Chucky - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:22

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:22
If the diesel has been idling for a while i.e over twenty minutes, give it a good work out before you shut it down. Don't flog it, just get the revs up there and put it under some load. We used to do it on the marine diesels on boats and it helps get rid of any glazing and blow out any crap. It helps keep 2 stroke diesels clean in a big way and won't hurt the 4 strokes in our 4b's either.
AnswerID: 93668

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:50

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:50
I had a 38 foot boat fitted with a GM 371 3 cylinder diesel.

I rang Detroit Diesel about it blowing smoke on idle. The response I got was "run it like you hate it" . In essence, they love a bit of hard work.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 93676

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:58
James M,
Give it plenty, they can handle it.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93679

Reply By: bundyman - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:42

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:42
James,

In the mining industry all new equipment with $50,000 plus new engines are sent out to full work with full load and revs straight from the W/S. I wouldn't drive my new engine like that for the first 1000km but certainly don't labour it or let it idle excessively as previously stated. Good luck with the new power source!!!

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 93718

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:08

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:08
yea but they probably offload them in 3-5 years with under 100k
FollowupID: 352706

Follow Up By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:49

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:49
Diesel generators start and run at 1500 rpm. They do not warm them up . Start the engine and it is away producing its maximum power and is loaded up in a few seconds. Sure 1500 rpm isn't a lot but these engines are no slouches in the hp dept as they are fitted with big turbos and camshafts to match the desired rev range. These engines run for a minumum of 10000 hrs before a routine top end overhaul needs to be considered. I have had 50ltr V16 diesels running this way for years.
FollowupID: 352938

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 20:00
yep no doubt about it work engines are just that. Out of intrest how often are they turned off. Taxis routinely clock miles between rebuilds that ordinary owners can only dream about coz they cool down once a day if lucky often not once a week even oil changes are done on the run
BTW have you worked out how to put the 50l v16 in your troopy yet?
FollowupID: 352941

Follow Up By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:17
I wish I could....hahaha

I was conteplating getting a 3 cyl Detroit placed in a 40 series about 20 years ago. I love the sound of thoses 2 strokes..
FollowupID: 352946

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:44
James,

Had a Hilux a couple of years ago and had the engine rebuilt at a local diesel workshop. The mechanic told me to drive it around town and work it a bit (not over 3000rpm though) till it had done about 1500Km. He said to avoid trying to run it in on a long trip as that will have the motor sitting on the same revs for long periods and this is not advisable. Basically drive it around so it works up and down the rev range till it's done a few Ks. That's what we did and threw in a couple of small country drives (50-100 ks) at highway speeds.
You could always ring a few workshops and get their thoughts.

Cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 93719

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:06

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 17:06
While the statement is a tad absurd, the principle (with comonsense) is correct. There is no need to putt around and baby it. As all have said before long idling a diesel will just carbon up the oil and glaze the bores. If you run it under load the engine gets upto optimum operating temps quickly and reduces the amount of carbon build up and will allow buring of previous carbon to some extent. Unfortunately if you 'run it like you stole it' while not hurting the engine gives the impression its good for the clutch, gearbox, diffs, tyres, suspension bushes etc etc etc and its NOT!!!

As the rest have said, just drive it well, dont aby it and it will be fine!

Enjoy!!

Matt
AnswerID: 93952

Reply By: Stew53 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:37

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:37
What I like to do when I overhaul or do major repairs on an engine petrol or diesel is at the initial start up use cheap oil, start the engine and get the idle right and make sure there are no coolant or oil leaks, generaly making sure everything is as it should be, then allow the engine to get hot without over reving so that the oil filter does not go into bypass and allow crap through to the bearings. Then I shut the engine down and check the tappets and retension the head if its recommended by the manufacturer and run it again for a short time, then dump the oil ( take note of the bits and peices in the bottom of the container) and filter and put the good oil in, drive the car for about a 1000k, do the tappets, run the engine, and change the oil and filter again, then change the oil every 10,000k for the remainder of the time I own the vehicle, I would say I dont drive the vehicle like I stole it but I do drive at a good pace, I do think its a myth about driving them hard and getting better life, just drive it as you normaly do and enjoy the good aspects of a diesel.
Stew
AnswerID: 94021

Sponsored Links