Safari snorkel

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:54
ThreadID: 19541 Views:15248 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Had the new Safari snorkel installed on the 80 series and need some comment on my findings. After driving for 3500 km over christmas holidays in rain and country trips.I open up the trap/cup at the bottom of the cyclone air filter box and observed the following:
-more insect trapped then the last 2 or more years of driving without the snorkel..
-water mark indicating that some moisture has made it there..
-upon removal of snorkel head, I found grid & insect trapped at the rear of the sorkel head indicating that it could get clogged with dirt if ignored for a long period of time.
ARB's comment was water droplets hits the back of the throat and gets drained out via the holes around the snorkel head. Which I don't agree..My observation indicate that the fine mist thrown up by cars/trucks ahead cannot be separated by the head and will get drawn into the engine filter. The snorkel head cannot remove 100% of the larger water droplets anyhow, at least 5-15% or maybe more will fall down the snorkel unit. Ram air effect may sound good on paper but not necessary practical otherwise the 70 series factory snorkel would not have a mushroom head instead. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:59

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 20:59
Been a thread on this not too long ago. Yes, agree 100% with you. That is why you should turn the head around if raining or lots of insects (like we did in a locust plague) or following someone in dust (why you would do this I don't know!) I don't personally think there is much to the air ram effect anyway, haven't been able to prove it with my vehicle and many others are in the same boat too. Would have though if it increased performance would be an increase in economy - I don't know of many people if any that have experienced this.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 93660

Reply By: Vinnie - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:09

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:09
The only good reason for fitting a snorkel is to keep water out of the intake while in deeper water than forwarding depth.

As to the rest of the claims I see fantasising at work.

Vinnie
AnswerID: 93663

Reply By: greghud - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:13

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:13
did u notice any benifits? like fuel consumtion power etc.or is it just for creek crossings?
AnswerID: 93665

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:44

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 21:44
Fitted a snorkel some years ago, to our 80 series, to cut down the risk of engine damage, through water ingress. Never noticed any improvement in power or economy. Did notice an improvement in economy once we fitted a 3" exhaust!11

Don't give a stuff about the few insects, or little bit of water that gets into the air cleaner, because that's what the bottom canister and filter element are for.

The mushroom head, on 75, 78 & 79 series has vanes around the outer intake, which is meant to spin heavier "bits" out to outside of head to, we hope, remove them. Think it probably sets up a turbulence in the snorkel, that assists in spinning out heavy items, once they reach the air filter body.

See big mobs of road trains with ram airs on their air intakes, can't be too bad?

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93673

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:27

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:27
Did the same, for the same reason when I first purchased my 1997 1HZ Troopie, in 2000.

Also totally agree re who gives a rats A R S E about a few insects and a bit of water from water vapour droplets etc. However I also agree with the gentleman who stated that if you are in insects of locust plague proportions, dust thicker than 'gomer pyle', or a tropical downpour, turn your ram jet head around or remove it and replace with one of those enclosed 'spinner' types.

Then again, if the situation was of 'sleep degrading' proportions then maybe it might be an idea to get off the road/ track, turn every thing off and wait it out.

FollowupID: 352662

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:29

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:29
Damn! forgot to add, it didn't increase the power, make it use less fuel, etc etc.

However a turbo and mandrel bend, straight through exhaust did though.
FollowupID: 352663

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:04

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:04
Ken,
Has the new baby arrived yet???????
FollowupID: 352668

Follow Up By: bundyman - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:33
Bob,

The factory centrifugal cleaner on top of the toyota snorkels definately work. I once had a very small stone get flicked up and sucked into the unit by a passing truck. It spun around in there for about 2 days before I got the sh#ts with the noise it made and pulled the top unit off to get it out. You could actually hear it spin faster as speed and revs increased.

Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 352682

Reply By: Bros - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:13

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 22:13
Wil,
I have a snorkle on my cruiser (85 HJ 75) and the only benefit i can see is the higher level in regard to water ingress and possible cleaner air in dusty conditions. I am pretty sure that the air filter will only allow so much air at any given time and when you reach this the extra don't count.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93682

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:11

Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:11
I use the Safari ram most of the time, but also carry a Donaldson top unit (8", but I don't like to skite, LOLOL).
It could be just my imagination (probably is), but the Patrol always seems to run better when the ram is on and I'm doing highway speeds. So much so that I now swap the Donaldson and the ram during any trip that involves a lot of dusty conditions (like our recent Cape York sojourn).
Funny thing is that even in some pretty dusty conditions with a lot of oncoming vehicles throwing up dust that I can't avoid, there is never very much dust collected in the pre-cleaner unit; maybe a teaspoon or so.
AnswerID: 93695

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:38

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:38
Yeah - I have to agree re; the Donaldson pre-cleaner.

I use mine when I know it's going to be dusty, and also when a deluge or three are known to be coming. I haven't noticed that the ram gives better performance at all though. The Donaldson is a pretty open design and so lets in plenty of air. Rather than carry both on longer trips - I'll usually just mount the Donaldson and leave the ram at home - and this has serviced me well.

I have emptied over a cupful of dust on some days (convoy conditions - following others - even with a km between us). I'd much rather do that than have it all go through to the filter.

My Donaldson: [ View Image]
FollowupID: 352683

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:42

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:42
On the Safari Snorkel the front cover unscrews from memory... Just take it off and glue a piece of flywire on the inside and screw it back on again.... Just change it every 6months or so.... Helps the water deflect...Keeps all the bugs out..
AnswerID: 93717

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:11

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:11
As a precaution against insect ingestion (and there are lots of grasshoppers around at the moment) I place two black stocking socks (I think my wife calls them footlets) over the ram head. This keeps all insects out and does not inhibit the airflow at all.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 93728

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:13

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:13
forgot to say that these things are about $2.00 for a pack of four in Woolies.
FollowupID: 352703

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:34

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:34
Hi
All is not lose, you can setup your snorkel to filter better by fitting a donaldson precleaner and put it ontop instead of the ram.....you will be absolutely amazed at what it catches, water aswell as dirt...and it keeps the filter clean.....but dont expect it to come free of charge...you will loose some performance when revving the motor...
Good idea to have both...and i would buy the biggest one that fits...i think it is a 10 inch diameter one im thinking of.
Andrew
AnswerID: 93809

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:32
I really don't care what anyone else says but putting the safari on my 3.0TD motor decreased fuel consumption considerablly. You here lot's of people saying how it made no differerence yada yada, I have notice that these are normally Petrol and naturally aspirated diesel owners. You also get comments like "the snorkel didn't effect fuel consumption, but putting the turbo on did!". You have to wonder if the turbo would have been as effective if the snorkel was not fitted prior to turbo install.

And yes, when it'sbleepdown with rain I turn the snorkel around, have not had a bug problem yet but I've seen the flyscreen in the front of the air rams plenty of times around perth and it seems like the logical solve to the problem.

If the "air ram effect" is so usless why do high performance sports bikes use it and why do people fit cold air intakes on their jap cars??
AnswerID: 93833

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:15

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:15
Haven't got time to read everyone's reply but I have an easy fix for the bugs (if not already mentioned).
I have put the foot end of a black stocking on the opening of the snorkel. Still lets in heaps of air and my filter does not get one bug in it! Can't even see it unless someone points it out to you.
AnswerID: 93888

Reply By: Wil - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:42

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:42
Thanks guys
Panty hose sounds like the cure... :)
I might even redesign the head to use a "big rig" head to acheive a complete circular gap around the throat for excellent water purge, if I am am ever bothered.
A truck driver told me that some of the trucks have two air filters, hence are more resistant to higher moisture intake
Cheers
AnswerID: 94019

Sponsored Links