Oil Additives

Submitted: Monday, Jan 17, 2005 at 23:44
ThreadID: 19547 Views:2052 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all , we are always thinking of ways to save on fuel bills and i was wondering after seeing the add for Bitron on this site ,does it work or doesn't it .
Are there thoughts or expieriences with this product or similar out there .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:29

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:29
If you get 4WD Monthly, or you know someone who does, they did a test on a product a few months back. They compared it against six or seven other oils that claim to have fuel saving properties added.

My old man has experience in oils n stuff, being a steam fitter and later getting his ticket as a marine diesel fitter, and later working as an engineer within the power generation industry. He has always always told me that the big oil companies regularly test new products, and do research in the view to improving their own products. Therefore, if there was something on the market that truly improved oil for better lubrication or resistance to degradation from heat and carbon deposits, they would add it to their product.

He always told me the best way to save fuel is to lay off the loud pedal.

I have a mate who swears by Moreys diesel oil additive and diesel fuel additive but I am not prepared to use the latter because the "new generation" diesels have a fuel pump which is very sensitive to anything other than straight diesel. Also these new electronically controlled fuel pumps actually have electronic components inside them.

Although these components are sealed from the diesel, I think there is some wiring inside the pump and I'm worried that some of these diesel additives have a small amount of corrosives to "clean" the fuel system, and I'm not prepared to risk it.
(most of these additives advertise this)

I have written to 4WD Monthly and asked for their input, as I'm sure lots of new generation diesel owners are possibly using these products and are not aware of the possible consequences.

Cheers'

Muzz
AnswerID: 93705

Follow Up By: firestang - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:36

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 00:36
I agree that the oil companies do alot of testing ,but would they put something on the market to make us use less of their product . The more fuel we use ,the richer they get .
FollowupID: 352675

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:16

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 01:16
You are right in a way firestang, but I beleive they would certainly make improvements to their own fuel or oil to stop you using another company's product, particularly if it is some "upstart" little company.

Big oil companies have a habit of squashing or copying any little mob that comes along with an idea or product that could possibly harm their own sales. (nothing wrong with that, I would do the same)

Does anyone remember the company in the US that was researching an engine made from ceramics that needed next to no oil, as heat and wear were not issues. From what I can remember, ceramics can handle intense heat and also do not suffer from friction like metal does. This meant that usung lots of oil, and having to replace it every 5000 k's would no longer matter. Of course, these motors would cost mega mega bucks

The big oil companies bought out the little bunch doing the research and canned the whole thing !!

PS. This is only my opinion, based on a loose memory of reading an article in a motoring mag, many years ago. GULP !!

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 93710

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:20
sounds alot like the carby the oil companys bought out that got 50-100 mpg - it never happened. I have noticed that economy and price of fuel seems to be hot topics amongst city folk. I guess that comes from having a wide range of outlets and the option of public transport. It seems that those in the country accept the fact that they need to get to where they are going and it will cost what it costs.
FollowupID: 352710

Reply By: Member - Peter (on the move) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:02
Firestang

A friend of mine who is a freaky mechanic swears by Moreys oil additives. He has his own trucking business, a couple of turbo cruisers with plus 200000 kms on them (only ever changed a seal in the power steering pump on one) and runs it in all of them.

He has seen one turbo diesel 80 Series with 450,000 kms that had never had a major component done. This may just be a freak cruiser but the guy who owned it basically said thats why he uses moreys in all his vehicles as well.

Cheers Pete

AnswerID: 93738

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:41
Ceramic motors was subject of work done by (I think OJ Nielson) maybe 30-40 years ago.
They were to be so efficient because of high temps & durable too but dont know what happened along the way.
There MUST be advanced tech used in the motors of the more secret military designs, eg tanks. helicopters,& planes which can travel round the world without refuelling & presumably servicing but the sheeple may never see it.
US patents I believe have a clause in their regs that permits them to seize any new
patent that may be of interest for military purposes.
Sounds like conspiracy I know but fits!
AnswerID: 93740

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:39
Having worked for an oil company and had training from Lubrizol, who make most of the additive packs for the oils, i can tell you that it is an exact science to get the right dosing for the required effect. You take the required base oil and add the right pack to give the viscosity, extreme pressure performance, corosion inhibition etc.etc. Some of the additives actually start to reverse their effect if overdosed, even by as little as 0.2% So buy the right oil for your application, not the cheapest shiza, and know that it has been tested and certified to be spot on for the job.

cheers Brad.
AnswerID: 93752

Sponsored Links