Two Zone for engel 40litre

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:33
ThreadID: 19551 Views:7775 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting to hear from people who have one of these Two Zone clipons for their engel.
Are they any good?
What are some of the downsides?

We are looking at getting one to use when we plan extended stays in remote areas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:26
I don't have one, but I have heard from an authorised repairer, that they don't recommend them because you are increasing the internal cooling capacity but not the size of the compressor. In this situation, the motor will be working a harder than normal, cylcing in and out more often, and drawing more amps from your battery. Also, you have to remove everything on the top level to get at anything in the bottom level, loosing valuable cold air and increasing the load on the motor and power supply.

They look good to me and I recon if you can keep your battery supplies up to scratch, then why not get one. As with most things, if you are aware of the pitfalls anything becomes reasonable to work with.
AnswerID: 93764

Follow Up By: freeexplorer69 - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 15:48

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 15:48
I was told the same thing as muzzimbigie. BUT when we were up doing the Canning Stock route last year we ran into a guy who had 2 of these two zone 1 for his 60l and another for his 40l fridge. As he was the first person that I had seen with one on the road so I pumped him for info about how it all worked and what sort of extra power was used. He told me that it made stuff all differance to power draw to the point he could pick any he went on to get all technical about cold air and all that mumbo jumbo. The bottomline was this guy and his lady where both over the bloody moon with it.

I bought one when I got home for my old 39l engel and over christmas went up to Wedge Island for a couple of weeks and I gotta say that he was right with the power it mad bugger all differance. Oh with getting to the stuff in the bottom you don't have to take all the food and stuff out of twozone to get to everything in the bottom it just hinges back on the engel hinges so you can get into the bottom independantly from the top.

My twozone is the best money I have spent in a long time I happy cold cans and the wifes happy no frozen food.

I have to say the whole idea is so simple that it is bloody brillant.
FollowupID: 352752

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:19

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:19
They defy logic to me. Cold falls, it does not rise. Therefore it follows that it is not going to be very cold in the top section, unless the bottom section is set to freeze. If you have your lower section at 4C, the top section must be warmer than this and storing food (particularly meat, chicken etc) at above 4C is dangerous.

I considered one for my 39L Engel and after checking the archives found mixed opinions about their performance. I then went away from the idea.

What I did was to sell my Engel for $650, put the $350 to that and got an 80L Waeco from the Fridge Shop for $990 delivered. Gives you 80 litres of genuine fridge or fridge and freezer with the dividers put in.

I found this to be a better option. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 93819

Reply By: freeexplorer69 - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:31
Jimbo is right the top is going to be warmer BUT thats whole idea is that it is suposed to warmer in the top. Twozone meaning 2 tempreture zones. The way it works is set your fridge for your drinks and meats and stuff at around 2C and your two zone is ideal for your salads, eggs and fruit even butter. The way i use mine is all the food i put in the main part of fridge at home i put in the engel and the foods that i put in my vegi crisper and behind the little doors in my fridge goes in the twozone because these foods are put there to keep the cold off them. Because they start to freeze at around 4C as we have all done tring to keep our drinks and salads in the same part of the fridge.

Anyway thats how I use mine and we find it great.

Hope it helps

freeexplorer69 signing out
AnswerID: 93838

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:46
If it works well that is wonderful.

I have never used one and would never denigrate something I haven't tried.

If it (and anything else) works for those that use it, go with it. I believe in products that suit the purpose of those who are satisfied with them.

I have had people tell me that certain products I own and am satisfied with are useless. Their loss, my gain, as it appears to be in this case.

Cheers,

Jim
FollowupID: 352813

Follow Up By: Mainey... - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:06
Just a question, from reading the post and looking at the actual product, you would have to remove the food from the new extended top section just to get at the food in the lower cooler section, due to the different temperature zones, is this a hassle while in the bush unpacking and repacking the fridge ?
FollowupID: 352822

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:30
The 2 zone system works, I have one on my old 29L engle for 2 years now
Providing you do the following,

The fridge is kept at the freezer setting
Minimise the amount of times you access the fridge

The top section hinges to the bottom section, you just swing it up on the hinge to access the bottom section no need to empty the top section.

Contrary to what was said previously, it does use more battery power because your fridge is set on freeze all the time which means that the compressor is running contineously
AnswerID: 93854

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:22

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 23:22
Found ours to be excellent, works a treat. Wife much happier. More space, less friggin around finding things.

Of course it drains more power, it becomes 60 litres, just like a 60 or 80L fridge... which is what your trying to mimick, but the new Engels are better on power usage to begin with so it's all relative.

There's 1 going cheap in the Trader section.
TRADER

;-)
AnswerID: 93862

Reply By: Nebster - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:07
Thanks for your replies everyone, the jury is still out, but the concept appears to have merit . Will probably go ahead and get one when I can get approval from the minister for finance ;D

Cheers

[ If you're not on the edge you're taking up too much space ]
AnswerID: 93902

Sponsored Links