charging question

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:27
ThreadID: 19559 Views:3571 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I was hoping to get a 10amp charger to charge a Trojan deep cycle battery. The battery is only rated at 115amp and from what I can gather from older posts is that a 10 amp charger should be good enough Or do you need an 10 amp plus charger to get it back to almost full power and to maximise battery life.

Currently looking at the Alrec 24V fully automatic model BC64. Can I use 24V charger for 12V battery?

Cheers

Dan

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:25
NO you definitely cannot use a 24v charger on a 12v battery.
It does not matter if you use a 5 amp or 2 amp battery charger, the battery will still come up to full capacity, it is just a matter of time - how long it takes.

To maximise battery life you need a minimum of a three stage battery charger and that is only part of the story. How you use the battery and what Depth Of Discharge (DOD) you take the battery down to is another major part of the story.
AnswerID: 93763

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 22:21
Davo,

Do you measure DOD by volts or electrolyte readings?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 352828

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31
David,
Do you have an opinion on the Projecta range of mains powered 3-stage Automatic chargers?.. (specifically the MC121150 12v 15A unit)...
Good, bad, or indifferent???
I can get one of the above-mentioned for around $250...
Is this good value??
(Repco have quoted $447, & Autobarn $406 for the same unit...)
TIA

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 352895

Follow Up By: David Au - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:42

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:42
Ed C never had anything to do with the Projecta range of chargers.
If they claim they are three stage I imagine they would be. I have not seen any complaints on the net about Projecta, so they are probably OK $250.00 sounds a fair price. Have you also tried Bainbridge Technologies I thing their website address is www.baintech.com.au
FollowupID: 353116

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:22

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:22
Thanks David for your response...
Yes, I've had a look at the baintech site, as well as a few others which google turned up... There are several units from which to choose which (with my limited knowledge of such things) appear to be much-of-a-muchness...
I've decided to go with the Projecta unit on the basis of
(a).. availability.. (on the shelf at my local Autopro branch)..
(b).. price.. marked on box $365.00, was able to walk out the door with it for a touch under $249.00, so I feel I've done OK here, bearing in mind the aforementioned quotes I had received from the "competition".. (must be a *healthy* margin on these)...
(c).. According to the (claimed) specs, it would appear to be at least the equal of other, more expensive units, & therefore much better value...
The proof of the pudding here, I guess, will be in the eating:-)

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353194

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 13:43
Whatever you buy make sure it's a "smart" multistage charger. I've found you'll have to pay upwards of $300.00 but some say you can get good cheaper ones. Be carefull. If buying a reputable brand from a reputable dealer, price is not a bad measure of quality.
I looked at the range Bainbridge Technologies have and finally decided on a Ctek 7A because that fitted my budget and pretty well will do what I want except it does take a fair time to charge my 85AH deepcycle battery.
If I come home from an 6 hour drive the battery will take more than 48 hours to come up to fully charged after I connect the charger to the battery. This a factor of the charger and the deepcycle battery.
http://www.baintech.com.au/html/chargers.html
AnswerID: 93766

Reply By: Mainey... - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 21:53
Dan,
check out the various battery manufacturers and associated product suppliers web sites about recharging Deep Cycle batteries, you will find you have been previously given credible information.

The following links may be of assistance to you;

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

http://www.projecta.com.au/products/index.php/command/viewproduct/productserial/81/categoryserial/6

http://www.projecta.com.au/products/index.php/command/viewproduct/productserial/20/categoryserial/10

http://www.projecta.com.au/products/index.php/command/viewcategory/categoryserial/7

And as 0zi states don't use a 24volt charger
AnswerID: 93851

Sponsored Links