WA new bullbar laws

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 14:13
ThreadID: 19564 Views:16738 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After reading an article in saturdays Kalgoorlie miner about new bull bar laws I went to the licesing centre for more info. The info is contained in the department for planning and infrastructure code CI - 112A And basically discourages roo bars for city vehicles (doesnt ban them) and gives guidlines for acceptable bars ( any name brand should still be ok) the rules only effect vehicles after 1994 and really seem specifically to ban overize cow catching 5 posters on B&S utes but I would encourage anyone fitting bullbars to check out the regs especially when sourcing bars from interstate or custom made bars. The info I got was that should not effect people keeping frontal protection sensible
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:18

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:18
Davoe, interesting that they have made it retrospective! Must be a first for that, even new ADR's etc aren't retrospective. Good idea to ban the oversize cow catchers, gives all bull bars a bad name.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93788

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:30
I had a bit of a hard time folowing it all coz I didnt have much time to read it and it was a bit wishy washy (thats why I strongly recomend you read it yourself if interested) I mean it recomended backwards facing nudge bars for city vehicles and gave suggested desighns for country roo bars - what does that mean? It seemed that the problem is these bars do not conform to adr standards on post 1994 cars so possibly it is not actually retrospective but was always there - somewhere. I think it is a bit strange when I know I can drive around in my camper without a second look but that bar on the front will mow someone straight down and under the wheels probably quicker and easier than it does to wayward roos
FollowupID: 352760

Follow Up By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:55
John

I don't think that's retrospective.

I believe "retrospective law" means that the law would apply BEFORE it was introduced. This new bullbar law applies to cars built since '94 but it only applies from now and not '94.

Say, for example you had a bullbar and a new law came in that made it illegal, so you took it off. If the law was retrospective you could still be fined/jailed for having it previously (when it was legal). It's unlikely that any civilised society will introduce retrospective laws no matter how tempting it might be to fight terrorism etc.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.

R.
FollowupID: 352768

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:03
Rob! you are right even indonesia couldnt jail Bali suspects on retrospective charges.But what I think John was getting at was that they were purchased legally and they were running around with them legally then they were made illegall making the previos roadworthy vehicles unroadworthy at the strike of a pen.
HOWEVER I think they were always technically illegal and this is more of a crackdown than rule change
FollowupID: 352772

Follow Up By: Rob! - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:18

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:18
maybe they'll introduce a bullbar buyback scheme.
:)
FollowupID: 352778

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:39

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:39
welcome to the east coast buddy, we've had this sort of ruling for ages, basically they don't want bars with forward slanted uprights, sharp edges & protrusions etc.(so yeah no 5 poster b&s specials) So any good bar that has rearward sloping features, smooth edges and no fishing rod holders etc, is sweet.

cheers mate
AnswerID: 93811

Reply By: Noosa Bushtrackers - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:31
From what I have read the Bull Bars have to follow the same conture of the vehicle body and have no sharp edges.
I have also been told that because Ford F250's are heavier than the Likes of a Landcruiser, they do not fall within the regulations to apply to vehicles under 3500kg gross. F250's can apparently have any type of bar fitted. I have a TJM bar that complies with new regulations so I wouldn't have had a problem anyway.
Now work that one out.
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93824

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:34
Trucks are softer?
FollowupID: 352792

Sponsored Links