RAC new policy for accessories

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:37
ThreadID: 19570 Views:2844 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
just received some new docs from RAC with my wife's insurance renewal. It says in there that accessories are now covered up to $750.00 unless RAC has been notified and agreed to cover it under the car price or with an extra paid to the premium.
I rang this morning to check what was already covered/agreed on the 4by.
First the good news is that the $750.00 is per item not for all accessories alltogether.
Second as long as they are permanently fitted on the car and less than $750.00 and you got proof they were fitted they won't ask more to pay you out (so it seems and I believe because they did in the past for my spotlights). For anything costing more than $750.00 then you need to tell them. Some items are OK (i.e. they told me the bullbar was covered as it is), some are extra (i.e. the long range fuel tank is extra but it would increase the premium by less than $10 and they don't charge you for something under $10 apparently and that increased the insured amount by more than a grand!! You bet I accepted to get it noted as extra since they did not take note of it when I bought the car despite I told them).
Third any luggage you may have is not covered and you need a separate insurance for it but I know my contents insurance covers me for it (again as long as you agreed with them of a value for those expensive bit of recovery gear you may want to cover against theft).
Fourth, just thought I double check their cover for off-road and she said that all 4wd vehicles are automatically covered off-road with the policy. After reading some of the posts in the forums I had was in doubt but now re-assured.

So if you're not sure of what you've got them to cover for you in terms of accessories I suggest you ring them to clarify it all.

Sly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 16:47
I just got innsurance with them but didnt get told that. I should check on the winch as I may not get full value if say I hit a tree. I asked them about where it was covered marked tracks etc and their reply was as long as it is in Australia (does that include Tasmania?)
AnswerID: 93797

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:03
I would check with them for the winch, better to be safe than sorry. Make sure you got the make, model and some sort of reference so they will replace for the same one.
Planning a trip to Tasmania? Do they cover you if the boat sinks ;-).
FollowupID: 352771

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:08
good idea but it also pays to have up to date photos. I have done that with every room in the house and shed to remind me what I had and I gather is quite handy in preventing arguments over claims. I keep them in my fire proof safe ............ just in case
FollowupID: 352775

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:40
I was contemplating moving over to RAC, even got a quote but it was the same price as what I was already paying with SGIO, but after reading this I might have to reconsider!
AnswerID: 93826

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:39
I get discounts for being a silver member and coz I also have home and contents insurence. I have made 3 smallish claims (house) and have had absalutly no dramas
FollowupID: 352808

Reply By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:28
Im with RAC, dont think I will change, Im very happy with them,, My last claim they paid out no questions ask.

Clive
AnswerID: 93832

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:55
Yep ,they even cover us Taswegens.Tried for a couple of years now to get them to cover our fridge in the back of our vehicle but always said they dont cover them.Rang them today(after hearing this on this site) and told them that the fridge is bolted in,yep no worries theyll cover it now.
Also got the house,contents and car insured with them and the couple of claims we've done were hastle free.
AnswerID: 93995

Sponsored Links