Intresting topic raisedby Trace and Mark

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:19
ThreadID: 19572 Views:1805 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
In theier reply about Fraser Island T&M raised the topic of getting info off of tour guides Whats your thoughts? certainly when I was in Kakadu they are very had to avoid in some spots and I tried to disceetly listen in on some stories. Where do you draw the line I mean it is a free country (kinda) would you unashamedly follow them round and even ask a question or 2 or try and avoid them altogether. Personally I felt a bit like I was stealing but when they are camped in front of a painting you want to see as well what can you do
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:27

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:27
Davoe
Its been my experience that they don't mind you being a "hanger on" but get their noses out of joint if you ask questions. Its sometimes interesting in popular places like Kakadu to hang around and listen to two or three of them expound about the same thing. Amazing the different slants you can get on the same object!
Tessa
AnswerID: 93808

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:40

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:40
Davoe,
can see your point and I have in the past,in Kakadu and also the rock,been sight seeing when tour groups have arrived.The question here is who has the most right to be at that place.If you are there and listen to the chat thats fair,but I would draw the line at joining them for morning tea.The fact is these people mostly have no other way of getting to these places so ,independent travellers are just part of the scenery.As you say thecountry is kinda free and its just pot luck,a bit like going to resturant for quiet meal and somebody having a loud birthday party two tables away,its just the way it is
Dave
AnswerID: 93812

Reply By: slyonnet - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 17:57
Davoe,

I think they can't really tell you anything for hanging around a well-known touristic attraction while they're there and if you hear what they're saying so be it. However I usually try to avoid them cause you can find information about all those places in books, tourist brochures and the net anyway and I like to take some photos and videos of nice places I visit. Nothing annoys me more than trying to take a good shot and having 25 people walking through and sitting right in the way of the scenery I'm trying to get on film. It's a free country so they have the right to be there too. Therefore I am either trying to take my shots and enjoy the view before they arrive or else wait for them to leave (sometimes they don't want to ARRRGH!).
I remember once rushing through all of Karijini gorges lookouts to manage to be ahead of 2 buses full of Brits, and Japanese. Not pleasant but got beautifull shots without a tourist in view.
AnswerID: 93816

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:03
I guess my experiences at ubirr and naurangie rock (spelling) made me post this. I started by waiting for the tour group to leave but they were continully more coming so I gave up and started listening in. Besides some of those european backpackers .................... well !!
FollowupID: 352786

Follow Up By: rihearn - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:24

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:24
There is nothing more annoying than getting other people wandering through your photos. It can be satisfying to remove them with photoshop leaving your view pristine. I know it's cheating but I've found it's the only way to get an unspoilt photo sometimes!!
Only works for one or 2 people though. I haven't tried deleting a whole tour groupl yet!!
FollowupID: 352858

Reply By: Trace 'n Marc - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:28
*laughs*.

I wouldn't follow them around, or ask them anything, and generally find tour groups annoying, but heck.. if they're going to talk loudly around where I happen to be standing, I'll not shut my ears. !! We generally avoid going on tours, but we've had occasions where we've found it was the easier way to see a place. ie. we stayed at Moreton Island at Tangalooma resort for a 'cushy' few days.. and decided, what the heck, we'll do the tour over the island. We did learn some interesting stuff from the guide, even if he was the only one who thought he was a comedian. (OH and I just roll our eyes at each other.) On a trip around NZ a year ago we booked on one of the Franz Josef glacier tours, simply because it was the only way we could get us and the kids kitted up with the right gear etc. We learnt a lot of interesting stuff.. and the guide in this case was pretty good. So I try not to diss them straight up. I suppose for many people, some tour is the only way they get to see a place if they don't have the experience, equipment, or whatever, to do so themselves.

I did annoy the heck out of a tour operator somewhere on the north island.. heading into Taupo. Stopped at a lookout to look at some falls.. which weren't _that_ impressive.. really. Said to hubby (we have a running joke).. "OK, tick that box, seen it, let's move on" or some such, and got the filthiest look from the nearby guide.
AnswerID: 93821

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:09
Well we have run across them from Kangaroo Island to Mungo. Most time have got talking to the tour guys and even at Mungo the guy told us its OK to tag along!

At Kangaroo Island they were having lunch where we were and again got talking and found out a few out of the way spots to go look at.

I wouldnt worry about listening in, but also wouldnt ask questions unless it was a real curly one, like "Where are these backpackers staying?"
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93829

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:28
Very similar to following the( christmas lights) bus around to view all the best christmas light displays .
AnswerID: 93831

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:30
now thats just plain lazy!! :)
FollowupID: 352806

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 19:32
mind you one guy posted asking about best wildflower spots and I suggessted he go to the tourist beureu and jeck out the itenery of a wildflower tour bus - Maybe you could een folow it, would that be rude?
FollowupID: 352807

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 20:05
I never said i followed it . LOL
FollowupID: 352810

Sponsored Links