Troopy Snorkel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:18
ThreadID: 19581 Views:3498 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G’day all.

I’ve got a quick question having searched the achieves for a bit of advice without luck. I’ve got a 75 series Troopy with the standard Toyota snorkel. The snorkel has developed a rattle when I accelerate over the last week or so and I was wonder is there something inside the dome on the top of the snorkel that rotates that could be the source of the rattle or should I be looking elsewhere? I’m not 100% sure this is the origin of the rattle because it’s a bit difficult to check whilst you’re driving.

Also, if there is something inside the top of the snorkel, how do you get the thing apart because appears that it’s suppose to come apart but I can’t figure out how to do that without completely removing the dome from the snorkel or is this how you dismantle it?

Thanks in advance,

-Manic
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:14

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:14
Yep you got it in one just undo the clamp at the top and pull the dome off.
Whilst youre at it take the rest apart and silicone up all the joints as they are a multi piece construction and will leak water big time if you do a water crossing with it unsealed.
It just unbolts no big deal.

By the way there is nothing inside the dome to rattle all one piece.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93911

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:36
G'day John.

Ok, so it's yet another unexplainable Troopy squeak/rattle...

The only other thing that could be causing the rattle is the drive's windshield so I might have a play with that. I've wound down the window and held onto the windshield to see if that stopped the noise and it didn't but I'll have a closer look.

Thanks for the advice on sealing the snorkel. The Toyota snorkel does appear a little flimsy compared to some of the aftermarket snorkels so I'll have a look at that on the weekend.

What's your opinion on extending the breathers on your diffs?

I know a lot of people do this but the Troopy has the valves that are suppose to shut (assuming you clean them once in a while) when you do a water crossing.

-Manic
FollowupID: 352888

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:58

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:58
one at work same as yours was split along the underneath of the arm that goes along the gaurd, saw it by chance could pay to check it thoroughly all over before doing crossings
FollowupID: 352904

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:18

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:18
Yeah, I'll follow John's advice and seal it up so if there's any spits I should find them then.

Thanks Davoe

-Manic
FollowupID: 352906

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:10

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:10
Manic I have replaced both front and rear diff breathers extending them up to the top of the fire wall. (Very little cost big piece of mind).
Takes the unkown out of the reliability of the one way valves in the original set up, If they are blocked etc.

I would still urge you to remove the snorkle and seal it up properly again then you know it's right. also allows you to double check it for the rattle issue.
Sometimes these rattles are nowhere near where you expect them to by, damn frustrating.

Have you checked out the Troopy owners group on Yahoo?, very good for all aspects of technical questions.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93934

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:36
The point about piece of mind makes a lot of sense. This is something I've been meaning to do for a while now but haven't made the time to do it because I haven't been off roading. That's hopefully about to change so I better sort it out. I've also been told there's a breather on the top of the gearbox that can be extended so I'll look into that and make sure that this is extended if possible when the gearbox is removed next month for a clutch upgrade.

Will do with reagrds to the sealant too. Cheap insurance for what could be an extremely expensive mistake.

I was on the TroopyOZ list for a while but I've changed email addresses recently so I haven't been receiving any messages. I'll update my account details at Yahoo because I'm just about to tackle the wheel/tire argument and I'll be after some people's experience in this area specific to Troop Carriers.

Thanks for the advice.

-Manic
FollowupID: 352909

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:22
Manic,

Had funny sort of choking noise develop in the snorkel on our 80 series, a couple of years ago. Didn't really notice it till Wife and Daughter took it to town, and on return, complained about how gutless the tojo was.

Pulled ram off, and a hornet's nest was built just below top of neck. It broke off, but was big enough it got caught in the bend, and was able to extract it with long nose pliers. Instant power increase!

In a post about snorkels earlier this week, someone made mention, in a follow-up, that a pebble had got caught in the dome, and was rattling around while driving.

The 79 series turbo's can get a rattle up in the snorkel about 1,100 rpm, but think it's only an induction induced noise(what a mouthful!)

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 93950

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 16:56
This could be induction noise but if it is it wasn't there two weeks ago so I'm a bit concerned something's going on. The rattle doesn't occur at a specific RPM. It basically becomes apparent when you tread on it hard but it's volume is relative to RPM - the higher the RPM the louder the rattle. Back off the throttle and the rattle is gone.

Jezz, I hope I don’t get attacked by Hornets when I'm checking it out.

Thanks Bob.

PS. The Troopy drives much better after re-packing the wheel bearings a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the advice on tensioning the bearings back then. The brakes are great now too. Keeping grease up to these vehicles appears to be a major factor. I thought my rear diff was on the way out 6 months ago until I had a mechanic take a look at the vehicle. A bit of grease in the tail-shaft and the problem was solved.
FollowupID: 352914

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:37
Good to hear you got the wheel bearings out of the way, Manic. We've a couple of sets to do here soon too.

Yeah, that grease is good gear. Dirty, but a lot cheaper than bearings, and other parts.

Just thinking about your noise proble, while reading your replies above. The aircleaner itself isnt lose on its mountings, or cracked anywhere? If the dome on top of snorkel has been hit, it maybe cracked enough, to set up a harmonic?

Sounds like a mystery,

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 352958

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 23:03
Hi Bob,

The induction noise was mentioned on 70scool - seems almost universal with the 78/79series TDs. I think a couple of people have been told the noise emanates from the fuel lines and the noise was resolved when Toyota fitted an accumulator somewhere in the fuel system. I only get the noise when its relatively cold, so haven't bothered looking for a fix.

Sounds different to Manics problem. Maybe a Hornets nest too :-))))

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 352962

Follow Up By: Manic - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 14:16
G'day Phil and Bob.

One of the first things I did was remove the air filter to see if the noise wasn't coming from there from the filter being damaged. I really can't see how you would damage an air filter that's 3 months old - city driving only. Anyway, everything appeared Ok but I didn't really have a good look that the cleaner mountings were solid.

I'll have a look this evening when I find the bug spray, safety glasses and a good pair of gloves to protect me from the Hornets ;-)

She's off to the doctors tomorrow for a new timing belt and a quote on a clutch so I'll mention it to the surgeon and maybe he'll find something while he’s at it.

- Manic
FollowupID: 353081

Sponsored Links