Paint Scratches

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:21
ThreadID: 19583 Views:2229 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Over the course of time I have got lots of small scratches down the side of the vehicle, most of these disappear with a good wash and repolish. The polish I use is one of the types that build up on the surface.

Sometimes though with deeper scratches I use a combined cutting and polishing polish, followed by another coat of the original polish. This gets rid of the scratches but it leaves behind a cloudy finish. I have tried almost everything to prevent this happening and am wondering if any one else has had this happen. I would have though the polishing compound would at least leave behind a nice sheen.

Does any one have any suggestions as to what to do that is better.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:46

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:46
Hi Alan
I prefer to cll the scratches we tend to collect as 'characterlines'. I use a polish called 'T-CUT' it is in liquid form and is available in various colours to match your vehicle colour. I've found that it will remove nearly all bar the severest of scratches. You can get it from most Auto Accessory places, I got mine from Repco in Bibra Lake. Aother scratch prevention method I use is called 'Scratch-Pro', its a water soluable latex based liquid applied using paint roller, I got mine from Opposite Lock in Welshpool
Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 93921

Follow Up By: Member - Karl - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 18:05
I used it as well on both of our cars and it works very well - all you need to do is buy one of a similar colour and polish it on/off. Some of the bigger scratches need a bit of extra work when applying but otherwise it is a good product.
FollowupID: 352924

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:48

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 13:48
The cloudy finish is just from lack of effort... No other reason...
I went through the same thing when i owned a Dark Green Patrol.
I persisted with the different grades of polish and with craploads of hard rubbing and hours later the end result was like a showroom finish...
You just have to polish out the scratches till they are totally gone.... Thats all the cloudy area is...
AnswerID: 93922

Reply By: Top Cat - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 14:19
The answer is simple.........use a quality polish.......it takes some effort cos it requires you to put 3 different coats of stuff on.........but it will work.

Meguiars Deep Crystal system.........spelling may not be perfect.

Be warned, its expensive but it is brilliant.

Most car enthusiasts I know of who do shows use it.

Problem is that you wont be able to stop at those small patches........you will end up wanting to do the whole car.

We normally do our good cars once a year with it. Takes a couple of hours all up for a whole car thats in good condition.

The shine it provides is unlike any other I have ever seen........its extremely deep and almost as if there is a pane of glass over the paintwork.

have fun.

AnswerID: 93926

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:19

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:19
I think the greatest expense is from the amount of beer drunk during this exercise.
I have used a few Meguires products over the years, and am using the gold class system at the moment , it uses a prep polish that removes marks and small scratches and a sealer.
I have found this to produce a good result.
Polishing the car is something that loses its novelty value very quickly. when you think you have to wash and dry it first then apply several coats of product, if you can get the same result with one less coat of polish it may be worth it. Particularly if you are polising a fourby and not a small car.
The extra effort envolved is worth it

Cheers

Glenn.
FollowupID: 353241

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:12

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:12
Thanks, i will try again this weekend.

AnswerID: 93935

Follow Up By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36
yes I Agree, if you do the three coats 1 clean 2 seal 3 wax you will be amazed at the protection the wax gives in the bush . Most scratches don't go past the wax. If you know you are going into some thick scrub you may try the protective coat some members are recommending. I havnt used it , too expensive for me, but hey cheaper than paint.

Cheers Skinny
FollowupID: 352898

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:31
There is a polish called t cut and you get for the colour of your vehicle (white, blue etc) I have found that does a reasnable job at polishing out marks and hiding small scratches while leaving a shiny finish
AnswerID: 93940

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36
Hi Alan,

Like Topcat I can vouch for the quality job you'll get by using Meguiar's product. They have a product called scratch-X which I find does an excellent job of getting the 4by scratches out, and it's clear coat safe too.

The latter point is a broader question to the more experienced folks out there, particularly anyone in the panel business. My understanding is that most vehicles these days have a clear coat protective finish and that not all polishes (particularly cutting compounds) are clear coat safe. How likely is it that cutting compounds, etc will wear through the clear coat, and if so, then will this lead to accelerated base paint deterioration?

Hugh
AnswerID: 93941

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 22:33
Alan,
Maguires for me is the best product, I've used the Scratch X product it's really good, no probem there. I also use Turtle Wax colour cure, it comes with scratch stick for persistant scratches, I find this really works I've used it for years. You buy the polish that matches your colour and rub it on, this polish adds and doesn't take any paint away, cutting the paint as T-Cut does always removes paint, you can see it on the cloth after you've applied it, you will eventually come through to the primer. The Turtle Wax product doesn't take any paint off, check the cloth. Maguires is a really good product in my opinion, not cheap, maybe that explains why it's good. Mother's products are also pretty good by all accounts plus a couple of the Kitten products but you have to be choosey some do more damage than good. Again all my opinions & experiences.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 94001

Sponsored Links