TrackRanger GPS Navigation System

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1960 Views:3231 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently been using TrackRanger, and have found it to be an absolute "must" for outback / offroad navigation. The ability to see where turnoffs are, mark positions etc is great, and the ease of use features make it fun to use. I have been using the AUSLIG maps with very satisfactory results, however, I understand that the Adventure series of high-resolution Victorian High-Country maps are also becoming available for TrackRanger. Does anybody know when these high country maps will be released, or how to obtain them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Steve,

From what I can gather the maps are comming in dribs and drabs and will start to appear in the next couple of weeks.
You can buy the maps and scan them if you don't what to wait though, that's one of the main features of TrackRanger.
You can obtain them through a guy in Melb. I haven't got the number but he advertises in Australian 4x4.

Leigh
AnswerID: 6581

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
Steve - just out of pure curiosity - why did you choose Trackranger and not one of the other GPS comatible software products eg Fugawi, Oziexplorer..to name a few. As far as the Adventure Maps are concerned.. best bet (considering the limited number of replies you have received) would be to contact the people who make these maps(?) or Trackranger who advertise that these maps are suitable for use with there software. I notice that Trackranger also suggest that Westprint maps can be used with there software. Westprint website states that they don’t make digital copies of their maps at this stage of the game. Please correct me if I’m wrong as I wouldnt mind digital versions of these maps!!
Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 6602

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Sure Greg. The answer's easy. I tried using OziExplorer, but found it to be too difficult to learn and understand (I didn't have 6 months). I then tried the demo version of Fugawi ,and boy, that was worse! These programs tend to focus more on trip-planning, but when I tried to use them for actual navigation, I found them to be difficult to use. TrackRanger on the other hand I found to be much easier to learn, still has all of the good planning and navigation features that I want, and I have found out from Adventurer and Westprint Maps that their maps are currently being calibrated for use with TrackRanger. I have also purchased the latest Natmap maps (500+ maps for $99), and they are very accurate, and the new release is produced at a much higher resolution than Auslig were. TrackRanger handles these maps really well, and the graphics are very good. I'll stick with TrackRanger.
FollowupID: 3156

Reply By: Sam Desquaski - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
I do not know what you found difficult about OziExplorer. Personally I found TrackRanger disgustingly overpriced for a poor quality product, lacking completely in features. What is more, there is no conversion of datums automatically in uploading and downloading. Does not conform to the correct standards for GPS units. I honestly think TrackRanger is in no way a complete product. TrackRanger is like a poor quality work in progress product that crashed on me at least four times. Also no WindowsCE version is available.
AnswerID: 7026

Sponsored Links