LC80 Front diff.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 13:26
ThreadID: 19613 Views:2000 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I don't know much at all on diff's just roughly how they work, funny enough boats don't have them, so I am not up to speed on the names of all the parts so bare with me. But I am leaking diff oil from the front diff gasket when the input shaft housing bolts onto the rest of the diff. My question is can this gasket be replaced easily or does the axles and the rest of the guts have to be removed. I do have a locker fitted, don't know if that changes anything. I have changed the oil and it looked alright, no metal or anything in it, and wasn't cloudy so no water in it either.
Thanks in advance.

Chucky.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 13:36

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 13:36
It's called the "Carrier". Suggest re-torque the nuts it may solve you leak. Otherwise yep you will have to remove the axles etc
AnswerID: 94089

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 13:48

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 13:48
Sounds like your talking about the input shaft pinion seal on the front diff.
Remove drive shaft and loosen lock tab in the pinion nut.
Try doing the big nut up first. If it does up you have a collapsible crush cone in there and I suggest you take it to a mechanic. It can be reset up with out to much drama of a major dismantle however this usually is only the case on rear diffs. If you can't do the nut up, just undo it, flick out the old seal and pop in a new (genuine) seal, refit the pinion flange and the big nut. refit the drive shaft, clean your mess up and recheck the diff oil.
AnswerID: 94092

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 15:11
Chucky,

If the carrier nuts are loose, and have been for some time, occasionally the gasket cracks, and this can still leak, even after you tighten the nuts up. If the break is at the top of carrier, it won't leak a lot, but will keep the diff housing oily.

We went for a 5K click trip to Kakadu last year, and even though I'd tightened the carrier nuts up, and put Loctite on them, it still leaked. Checked at Kakudu, on arrival, and level was only down by a mm or so.

Did the job of replacing the gasket when we got home, lot of work for one gasket, but very necessary.

hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94103

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 17:09

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 17:09
Hi
the front diff studs are quite small on an 80, and with lokas in there, alot of strain can be put on them...i would see if you can tighten the nuts a bit more...otherwise its loosen and silastic make a gasket time...
Andrew
AnswerID: 94118

Sponsored Links