TOYOTA 80 SERIES

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 17:33
ThreadID: 19621 Views:4155 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

Just a quick question to get abit a usefull information from all the 80 series drivers out there. I'm currently looking @ buying a 80 series crusier but am abit confussed on what model and year seems to be the one to go for.
I know their all built like brick sh*t houses but still not enough to go on.

Duing the week it will be a Taxi to and from school and also camping trips, and in the near future touring around the place ( Birdsville & Cape york E.T.C)

Could i get some opinions on what you guys have found to be a best model made.

Cheers
CHUBBS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 17:45

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 17:45
Chubbs,

Why don't you join the 80 series list at www.lcool.org

Exploroz is a great resource, but for specifics like that, go to the list where they are all driving the vehicle you want info on.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94126

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:21

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 18:21
personally I bought a 94 std with 204 for 15k all up it was an ex exploration vehicle and had all the gear (click on rig pic for a description) very no frills interior. i liked the idea of part time 4wd as I have heard of a few issues with the full time (there are that many of them a few issues are probably normal) it is definitly a bush commodore as when I park it down the maino I have to make sure I jump in the right one!
very happy so far (about 1 month with one decent trip). probably your biggest decisions are how much, diesal/petrol,trim level, how many ks
your questions all relate back to how much you want to spend coz there is no doubt the best model made was a 1998 vx turbo diesal sahara (last of the top of the range) which are still very big money generally speaking 80s go from about 12 - 30k with everything in between
AnswerID: 94132

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:05

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:05
Chubbs,

Anything after '95 will get you the later models. If you're going touring, get a diesel for the economy, preferably a turbo.

If you're not worried about bloody "fast glass", then maybe one of Davoe's Kalgoorlie Commodores might be the go. Standard wagons are cheaper to buy, have part time 4WD, vinyl mats and barn doors. Leaves you more loot for speccing it up a bit.

Best model? White '97 GXL with Multi Valve Turbo, pity the front seats weren't a bit more comfortable.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94179

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:42

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:42
Gday
All of them are good vehicles...some are better than the rest....early turbo diesels had problems galore, but by now they should have all been ironed out in them...early petrols sucked fuel for no go.
Best and most expensive is the 95 and later models with t/d...these are so hard to find in good nick and xxxy when you do, you would probably be better off buying a 100 series t/d second hand.
Best value for money would be petrols from 93...bullet proof but thirsty. People who own poverty packs sware by them...these are the most basic and reliable of the lot....but they are not a sports car, (read fairly slow)

Sooo it comes down to what you want it for...and how much you want to spend.
Andrew
AnswerID: 94216

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:26

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:26
G'day Chubbs
If it is going to be your only vehicle and you'd like it to be able to drive more like a car than a brick I recommend the petrol motor or a turbo diesel. I used to have a standard diesel and driving it in the suburbs drove me crazy - so bloody slow to take off from the lights. Now have a petrol. Be warned though that the petrol is fairly thirsty. Diesel obviously better for long distance touring due to fuel economy. Also once wound up the standard diesel is fine so long outback roads are OK for it. For overtaking though you need a heap of room. Petrol cheaper to service. Overall I'm happy with the petrol as an only vehicle. I did fit a long range tank for the touring role.
AnswerID: 94273

Sponsored Links