Overseas Licence holders new exemptions

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 19:42
ThreadID: 19626 Views:2413 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just to advise the RTA have issued new rules in regards to overseas licence holders, you now only have to show a valid overseas licence to receive a NSW equivalent.
This also applies to overseas motorcycle licence holders and I have just transfered my UK motorcycle licence over to my NSW car licence. Cost $19.

Good for those already familiar with Australian road rules but those who are not should still read the handbook & carry out the online knowledge test to test themselves.

This excerpt covers car licence only, there is a seperate article on Motorcycle licences.

"The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002. Customers were exempted from the practical car driving test if they held an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries.. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) licences.
As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.
The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing...al_drivers.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: japmel - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:49

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:49
They must be crazie, there are different road rules just going from one State to another in Australia. Let alone coming from an entirely different Country.

AnswerID: 94153

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:57

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:57
I dont understand what the shock is , this has always been the case .
AnswerID: 94154

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 00:15

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 00:15
Not for me. Finally got round to exchanging my UK licence only a month or so ago and still had to do the stupid online test. After four years of accident-free driving in Australia... Good news is I passed!
FollowupID: 353181

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 00:30

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 00:30
Different rules in the various states I expect. I flashed my Kiwi licence in Qld 17 years ago, they immediately took my pic and issued me with a new Qld one, of course that may be different now. Got a real one now though.
FollowupID: 353185

Reply By: slyonnet - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:01

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:01
It seems that not all states are aligned with that. Check this site for WA:
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/about/visit.html
They still charge you more than $50 nad make you pass the test, unless they havn't updated their website yet?
If you think of getting an Aussie license, check with the local licensing centre first to make sure.
Sly.
AnswerID: 94249

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:05

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:05
The list of recognised countries seems ok to me ... Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA.

However, there is nothing about making sure that the licence holder knows how to read english road signs. I know greeks in Australia that have difficulty reading english and their driving sometimes reflects that.
AnswerID: 94250

Reply By: Ray Bates - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:31

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:31
Hi Savvas,
how do you think people get on in Europe when crossing state borders and languige changes. If Greeks in your area are getting confused it may be the signage at fault. We in Australia have not fully embraced the international code for road signs and believe it or not there are still some of those antiquated American signs about
AnswerID: 94591

Sponsored Links