landcruiser overheating (1hz turbo)

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:16
ThreadID: 19627 Views:14148 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi out there i have just done a conversion on a 1989 60 series cruiser I have fitted a 1996 !hz and put a DTS turbo to it I cant beleive the difference it has made to the old girl from the old 2h non turbo im using the 2h radiator that has been pulled down and cleaned out after having the inlets and outlets swapped over the radiator shop said the radiator had more cores than the 80 series ? I have also put 2 tubes of silicone oil into the cluch fan, Ive flushed the block out with a hose from all inlets ,heater etc and I live on the central coast NSW and travel the express way often there is a long hill at ourimba that always used to sort me out with the old donk and the temp would climb very close to the red and then cool pretty once I was over now with the new motor and doing all the simple things to it that I have done silicone oil etc the temp still gets close to the red I admit I was doing 120 ks in 5 gear all the way and the temp was around 30/ with A/C on I dont always drive like this and I know I will get some coments to take the right foot off a bit ,But I would like some coments on how to keep her cool even If I go up at 100ks she still climbs upto over close to the red any advise would be appreciated as I would like to do some towing (van etc) and I am a bit worried about this temp problem thanks guys cheers Scott (fat666@exemail.com.au)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: awill4x4 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:30

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:30
It sounds like you have done everything possible with your cooling system and seeing as you have installed an aftermarket turbo system and it's overheating under load I would suspect an overfuelling problem where to much diesel is being injected thus raising cylinder temps which impacts on cooling gallery temps.
A really good idea and one which is being used more an more is to fit an EGT temperature gauge and measure the exhaust temps, either pre or post turbo.
If post turbo aim for a maximum temp under load of 500 - 550 degrees C.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 94150

Reply By: japmel - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:40

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 20:40
scott666
Hi there, Not much to say except standard Toyota diesel motors are not really designed to have after market turbos fitted.
There are a lot of people having trouble with after market turbos (Higher compression etc).
This could be part of your overheating problem.

Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 94151

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 21:06
My 1hz after market turbo doesn't move a mm past half way either going up Ourimbah hill, through the vic high country or around town.
I agree about checking the amount of fuel delivery and EGT guage.
Is it blowing any smoke under load? If it is, too much fuel.
Overheating on the free way is either lack of water flow or the water is not cooling down quick enough. Does the engine have a thermostat fitted and is it working correctly? If in doubt fit a new one.
Is the guage in your dash working correctly?
Next time you go up Ourimbah hill try backing off and take note if the temperature cools down.
Try fitting an EGT guage in which you can buy through this forum. I have one as does alot of members and they are invaluable. Then adjust your fuel acording to the temps and take it from there.
One other thing, did you check the impellar on the water pump? I''ve had one where the impellar had corroded away. While the water pump is off have a look inside around the cylinders where the coolant is and see if there is any crap in there. Blockages could cause over heating as well.
AnswerID: 94155

Reply By: Tuff60 - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:15

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:15
60 series have great radiators but crap air flow, has your set up got a decent fan shroud(factory 60's are good). One other thing you can try for better airflow, is to use something under the radiator to direct the airflow down, therefore creating a vacuum in the engine bay and forcing more airflow through the radiator. For an idea what it needs to look like, take a peak under the front of a VS commodore.
Just what I have had success with in the past, hope it helps.
AnswerID: 94180

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:46

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:46
is it reading correctly? you have a different sender/gauge (I assume) set up to normal. If it really is running hot it will start to boil after you shut it off after a highway run (guess shutting it straight down isnt recomended for a turbo) My camper is a hzj with a 2h donk and runs right up the top of the gauge I have done everything you have but figure after 50-60k that is how it is
AnswerID: 94184

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:59

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 23:59
By far the cheapest and easiest thing to do is firstly fit an aftermarket temp guage. NOT an electrical one, a mechanicaly operated one that goes straight into the side of the block, at the bottom of the water jacket. The guage itself fits under the dash. It will tell you the exact temp of the engine block, does not require power or any electrical connection to work.

You may find your standard temp guage is "terry the roo shooter" (roo ted) !

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 94188

Reply By: Dodgy - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:13

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:13
Gidday Scott.. The new donk you dropped in mate?? Was it new new or second hand new and did it sit for a while before you fitted it?? Scale inside the block can shake loose after they have sat for a while and block the top tank of your clean radiator.. When i fitted even new donks that had been acid bathed i would always put a stocking (compliments of the cook) inside the top radiator hose and kept checking it for a few weeks till there was no more grunge.. Another thought on your dilema is an oil cooler.. Turbos generate heaps of heat and most is transfwered to the oil thats passing through it.. Perhaps a good oil cooler fitted upfont might help sort them gremlins.. Best of luck with it pal.. Don't let it beat you.. Regards Dodgy..

Keep your whistle wet and your powder dry..
AnswerID: 94205

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:35

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:35
Gday
Sounds like what happens to most 1hz's after the oil is lost from the v/c fan. This is how my mate proved it....he simply set up an old commodore electric fan (vl/vn-v8) infront of the rad and switched it on on hills....this cooled the motor down..so he then did the fan and after that fixed it, he hooked the electric fan up to the air conditioner and got colder air.
(If you dont have a fan schroud...that will be the problem...)
Secondly put a pusher pump (like a walbro) on the fuel system...between tank and motor...all this does is supply flow to the fuel pump instead of it having to suck.
I would personally do this to any toyota 1hz or 1hdt/ft, as you get more power from better control of timing and less smoke!!!!
Try it... :-)
Andrew
AnswerID: 94215

Reply By: Simon C - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:57

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:57
We just replaced (from a wrecked vehicle) a 1hz in a 75 Series. There are different sender unit even in the 75 series alone (the one we had to get was about $125.00 from Toyota). May be try a mechanical gauge to ensure your getting good readings.

Simon

AnswerID: 94257

Follow Up By: scott666 - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 22:35

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 22:35
Hi guys thank you for all for your feedback I have replyed to every one of yous but for some reason all or my emails have come back to me so please dont think i didnt reply to your emails I have received heaps of good ideas just put a 16 inch Davis craig fan with auto control, drove back up ourimbah hill and the mungral still went up to the red so I feal like I just wasted $280 also spent all day trying to fit a manual temp guage and so far cant buy the right fitting to screw into the toyota block but I will find one, next move will be to get the turbo boost turned down I was told that the last guy had it wound up to 11lb but he had an upgraded injector pump! if I get this overheat problem sorted I will let you all know what the problem was so thank you all for your help Cheers scott.
FollowupID: 353334

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 00:19

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 00:19
Scott. No need to reply to emails, thats just ExploreOz sending 'em to ya, not us !!!

For the fitting on that temp guage, try an air tool/compressor seller, or coventrys.

I had to get a piggy back (one into another into the sender unit) to fit into my petrol 60 series cruiser. But it settled my nerves knowing exactly what was going on with the eng temp.

Also, remove your thermostat and see if there is any difference.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 94362

Reply By: scott666 - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:46

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:46
No worries thanks Muzz I will try the Air tool shops and I will give it a go taking the thermostat out thanks mate I am taking all this info everyone is sending in and trying it all untill I sort this problem out so thanks everyone who has emailed me,cheers Scott
AnswerID: 94379

Sponsored Links