GPS and Navigator What can you tell me please

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 22:00
ThreadID: 19632 Views:2070 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I would like some advice on a vehicle navigation system.

Is there a Navigation system that has voice directions for when one is in a city as well as being able to accept an upload of say, "Magellan" maps and tracks of Australia. I would also need to be able to read my GPS location coordinates from it. I had been told that it is an either or situation, is this correct? I do a fair amount of off roading and would like a dual system. Your advice is appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 22:41

Thursday, Jan 20, 2005 at 22:41
Ony,
I have a Toyota voice nav system...relatively good but unable to load ozi explorer etc and it uses Sensis data for the mapping of the streets. They are miles behind with their mapping and the latest map has not got streets that have been around for over two years.
I also have a pocket pc which I use with navman 4410 voice nav software for my work vehicle, again uses Sensis data...I must be a slow learner!
I also have a Meridian gold handheld which is a great unit and this connects to my laptop and as you may be aware is ideal for ozi explorer/discover aus etc.
There is however an in car pc which will use ozi explorer software and also has voice navigation. you may find outmore on the neltronics website. It is called a SmartRider mobile PC and is available in Perth now. Pretty expensive at $3.5k but it is the only thing I know that may meet your needs at this time.
Have a look at the site because this thing does much more than just a PC and GPS.
Hope this was of some help.
Jeff
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 94176

Reply By: slyonnet - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:12

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:12
Ony,

have a look at post No 19560, similar question to yours.
It looks the Navman PIN would do exactly what you want and more and it is relatively cheap. I would maybe buy one today if I had the money...
Cheers,
Sly.
AnswerID: 94252

Sponsored Links