subaru Outback--how capable

Submitted: Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 14:29
ThreadID: 19650 Views:3819 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I am taking delivery of a new subaru outback 2.5i manual in a couple of weeks and was wondering if any owners out there could advise me on how far can you push these things . For example - Freinds often go to bendethra valley in their toyota's and nissan's . I curently have a Liberty RX and I have been suprised on how good it is on roads in national parks.
Before anyone says it this is an arranged company lease vehicle and i am saving up for a T or N

Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 15:32

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 15:32
not to sure about the outback.. but my father has a Forester.. and takes it onto Stockton beach no worries. haven't conned him into going anywhere rocky/muddy...YET... .. but he'll get there in time.. clearance is the killer on the Subaru's. the engine power etc handles standard dirt easy.
Subaru need to introduce the airbag's shockes back into the Outback/Forester model's > like the old 90/91/92 model Wagons.. oh the memories... yes i used to have one.. and yes.. it took it to places i didn't think possible !!! stockton beach was one of them!
AnswerID: 94283

Follow Up By: rihearn - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 15:49

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 15:49
The air bag shocks were good fun. I had them on my '92 liberty. I'm not sure how much they really added to the cars ability though. You still had the big front and rear body overhangs.
I think the Outbacks have bigger wheel than the libertys which gives them a bit more clearance than standard libertys and is a hell of a lot less hassle than air shocks which are costly to fix. In the last few months of owning one both front shocks started to leak and the onboard compressor had to hammer away to refill them in the morning. The front of the car would always catch the speed bump at the end of my road because of this. After 10 minutes it all functioned well though. The dealer I traded it to will have got a rude shock when he went to the yard the next morning to find it sitting low!!

To actually answer your question about what they can do! Dirt tracks, corrugations and sand, though not soft stuff because the bum will catch in it. The front and rear overhang will stop it from anything more. The underside of my old one has the marks to show I tried!

The low ratio box, if Outbacks still ahve them, isn't actually all that low. Its probably good for towing on steep hills though.
FollowupID: 353283

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 20:04

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 20:04
You will find most places of great scenic value etc you will be able to get an outback to; in the national parks you get the big roll over drains but you can just tackle them at an angle so you don't drag the middle out of the vehicle; the national parks roads that you are permitted to go on in NSW are to a standard suitable for CAT 1 fire tankers (truck), so they have be be in reasonable condition & so suitable for a Outback in most cases.

I had a 91 Liberty with the air shocks - I took it to Fraser Is and it had better ground clearance than the Foresters, it did catch on a few tree roots and the middle sand underneath the car did belly out a fair bit. Plus the shocks on those things were REAL expensive $500 a pop.
AnswerID: 94324

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 21:55

Friday, Jan 21, 2005 at 21:55
Well, my daughter Rhiannan has just bought an old 83 Subie. She loves it.

EVERYONE says to her that it is the car for her, 'cause she's wrecked 4 others in 18 months!

Gotta be alright I guess. Gearing seems a little high though.

Anyway, pity it wasn't a Forester, but I'm sure you'll have fun.

I know one thing, they are excellent in the forests during winter, we use them to organise the sled dog runs..... just magic.

Enjoy.......

Wolfie
AnswerID: 94346

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 12:40

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 12:40
Who bought the car for her ???????

I seem to remember something about her hand in you pocket for a new car ???? LOL.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353364

Reply By: Tuff60 - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 03:02

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 03:02
Mate has, from memory a 2002 model outback, it is our designated shooting vehicle. Not great in bog holes, due to low aproach/departer angles(as shown by damage to both bumpers) but everything else it loves. And by far the best ride on corragations there is, that is why we take it over any of the fourbies, car like ride on and off road and half the fuel bill. no dramas in sand except where you are forced into tracks made by other 4WD's where the clearance in the middle becomes a problem. His is also company supplied, which makes it even better in the bush.
AnswerID: 94372

Reply By: marcus - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:03

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:03
Hi Steve-h,
The outback is a great car but does have some limitations off road .Last year we gave the golf at Narooma a day off and headed into Bendethra for a look around with my disco and a mates outback 2.5 .Firstly his gearing was a bit too tall so he virtually had to push it a bit fast up the steep hills to make it whereas i could walk it up.The outback had too much overhang on the front bumper and copped such a hiding it eventually cracked in two places and took a load of silver paint off.I was surprised where we took that Subaru but it didn't do it easy coz i am sure we took it where it was not designed to go.Result a good day out,damage to disco $0 and damage to outback including sliced geolander sidewall perhaps $1000.It was a lot of fun wouldn't mind doing it again.
cheers mark
AnswerID: 94376

Follow Up By: steve-h - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 11:35

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 11:35
Thanks Marcus
Thats the feedback i was looking for . I have been to Bendethra a long time ago but dont rememer much about the road in ( age catching up ) . Freinds are telling me it would have no problem which i dont think it would but it would work out to be an expensive trip

Thanks
Steve
FollowupID: 353359

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:07

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:07
Steve, we have a 2000 Outback and the arrival and departure angles are the killers. Options are to fit alternative tyres to the lowe profile Geolanders and fit a lift kit. The suby clubs have taken them across the Simpson. Haven't done anything to ours as its the No2 car in the Stable. very capable on dirts roads and feels very safe to drive. It is an excellently made and finished soft roader.
AnswerID: 94631

Follow Up By: Gone 4by'ing - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:22

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:22
They are very well built for sure although at 6'5" I find them too small for me.

I could happily make myself fit into a black Liberty GT however ;)
FollowupID: 353543

Reply By: DD64 - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:12

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:12
Steve-h try this sight http://www.offroadsubarus.com/forum/.
AnswerID: 94737

Sponsored Links