oziexplorer

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 18:53
ThreadID: 19678 Views:1754 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have recently purchased oziexplorer software from exploroz with the intention of using it to read geological maps from the WA Dept of Industry and Resources to aid me in my pursuit of potential gold prospecting sites.
Problem is that I lack the compter acumen to get my geo maps in to the Oziexplorer programme.
I have read the help stuff in Ozi but to no avail, I have no doubt that the problem is me rather than the programme so what I would really appreciate is a bit of pointing in the right direction from someone more knowlegeable.
Thanks in anticipation.
BD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 19:58

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 19:58
BD - I have the same map set ..but I also go prospecting and want all the Gold to myself so Im not going to help.....just kidding (about the helping bit).

Ok the maps are all ecw format and have calibration data incorporated into the file structure (as "header" to image data)..so they can be imported into Oziexplorer easily ..though there are few older maps that you will have problems with (strange projections/grid systems)..we can sort that out later..So

Go to FILE - IMPORT MAP - ECW MAPS, select file location of the maps you want to import, map images are in \data\images directory (if on CD D drive will look like this D:\data\images) and then select a location for your map calibration files to go - created by Oziexplorer from ecw header info (labeled *.map) - you must save these somewhere on your hard drive obviously. During import process you will receive error info on 13 maps that have "Local" as projection just click ok to process the good ones (150 in number). The "Local projection" are the old maps I think. They are difficult to calibrate accurately but if you come across one you really need and need a hand manually calibrating give us a hoy and will try and help.
Have fun
Greg
PS Gold is where you find it - old prospectors proverb
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 94442

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:20

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:20
Brian,

It does depend on which file format your maps are in. You can import a lot of graphic formats, from JPEGs to BMP files through File/Load and Calibrate Map images or use the standard formats as is explained below. These images may be photographic in origin that are scanned in.

It helps if all your map and image files are in the x:OziExplorer/Maps directory or subdirectories. Making sure you also have the map image files set up in the Configuration (Files/Configuration) to point to the image files.

Your directory structure would be:
OziExplorer
Maps
Subdirectory1
Subdirectory2
Of course there are other directories before and after maps but prepare your directory structure as suggested

AnswerID: 94448

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:24

Saturday, Jan 22, 2005 at 20:24
Brian when I set up the post I had the subsequent directories tabbed in to show that Maps was a subdirectory of OziExplorer and that Subdirectory 1 and 2 were subdirectories of Maps. The program didn'tlike to show that of course. Sorry.
FollowupID: 353393

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:30

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:30
John - the maps Brian has are in ECW format and have calibration data associated with each map already. OziExplorer has an IMPORT MAPS function that is used to create Oziexplorer map calibration files for the images that already have calibration data that is not in the right format for use directly with the program. Using the method you suggest (File/Load and Calibrate Map images) would require the user to then calibrate each map - not neccessary in this case (except maybe for the 13 that will not import correctly).
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 353459

Reply By: Member - Brian D (WA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 13:20

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 13:20
Thanks Greg and John, will see if I can get my tiny mind around that information and have another wrestle with this infernal machine.
Rgds BD
AnswerID: 94532

Sponsored Links